This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread -

The Questions: Your location: Nashville Age (If you want): 43 How Primal are you: 80-ish % Do you consume dairy: My weakness. Lactose free milk in my cafe con leche. Occasional cheese. Do you drink coffee or tea: Decaf espresso. I know, oxymoron. Motivator for switching to Primal: Health. I actually went primal before I knew what primal was. Due to undiagnosed gluten intolerance I stopped being able to eat anything but meat and veggies. When I discovered Primal I could have wept for joy. Favorite exercise: Creek-walking. Is that a real term? My boyfriend and I like to take the dog (crazy Australian cattle dog) to the creek and walk in it with her. Too cold now so it's been regular walking and grouting tiles. Favorite Primal food: Pork belly! Best part about being Primal: Pork belly! Oh wait, already said that. Health benefits, farmers markets, digging in the dirt, it feels natural. Worst part about being Primal: People thinking you're nuts, trying to find primal food when out and about.

Comment

Age (If you want): 55

How Primal are you: I would say about 80% primal

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Raw/unpasteurised if possible

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, mainly tea - but I also have good quality fresh ground coffee once a day. None of the instant rubbish!

Motivator for switching to Primal: Better health and weight loss

Favorite exercise: Walking, kettlebells

Favorite Primal food: Grass fed beef steak

Best part about being Primal: Not being a slave to conventional eating patterns driven by low blood-sugar hunger pangs.....it's so liberating!

Worst part about being Primal: Eating out or dining with less-enlightened friends who refuse to 'see'.....

Comment

• How Primal are you:

Started going Primal more or less the last week of February, but am starting to get the hang of it.

Do you consume dairy:

Yes, cheese, full fat yogurt, heavy cream in my coffee, whipping cream with berries. Never had much of an issue except when I drank some too close to bedtime.

Do you drink coffee or tea:

Coffee and unsweetened ice tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal:

Being a hockey and football player in high school, I was an eating machine. Sometimes during the season I would pack away 4000 calories a day just to have the energy to do what I wanted to do. Worked out fine until I got to college and encountered the all you can eat meal plan. That resulted in about 40 additional pounds, and I graduated at 225. By June 2005 I was up around 250. Additionally, my father died of a heart attack (no traditional indicators) at the age of 51. Took about a year to shake that one off, and tried to get back into shape, given the potential time bomb in my chest. Went up and down, trying to emulate my old workouts, but never getting below 240 or being satisfied with the results.

December 2010 my first son was born, brought him home on Christmas day. Around the time of his one month checkup I find out I had a blood clot in my leg, most likely associated with inactivity at the hospital. That was the last straw. I was looking up exercising when under treatment for a clot, and stumbled across Crossfit. Crossfit led me to paleo, paleo led me to Primal, and here I sit, Grokling asleep on my chest.

Favorite exercise:

Deadlift. This was my main goal during my wife’s pregnancy, making sure that if the worst came I could get her out of the house and to the car without her feet touching the ground.

Favorite Primal food:

Discovered grass fed, locally raised beef. Where has this been all my life?

Best part about being Primal:

How right it seems. Reading MDA and the Primal Blueprint really resonated with me.

Worst part about being Primal:

Mainly that I am just finding this out now.

Comment

• Your location: Gilford, New Hampshire

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: Just beginning

Do you consume dairy: as of now, just cheese and some milk in my coffee. My younger son is having some stomach issues which may be dairy related.

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee mostly, tea occasionally (never on an empty stomach, makes me nauseous)

Motivator for switching to Primal: My friend primalrob went from 350 down to about 185 using Weight Watchers and low carb. He lost fat as well as muscle. I am 6' 1", 225 pounds. When I got married 15 years ago, I was 190. When I graduated from high school I was 165. I have a tall frame and have never felt I carried the weight well. As I age, I am having soreness, pain and lots of recoup time for my athletic pursuits (kickboxing, volleyball, swimming, waterskiing, and others). I know there is a better way to eat and exercise without it being grueling and terrible. I love to cook and do all the cooking for my family. My wife is four years younger and exercises a lot as she works part time at a health club. We go out and she looks 15 years younger than me! I need to catch up!

Favorite exercise: Walking, jogging, push-ups, kickboxing, volleyball.

Favorite Primal food: beef, oysters

Best part about being Primal: not sure yet!

Worst part about being Primal: I really do love sugar...

Comment

• Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread -

Location: Hampshire, England Age (If you want): 55 How Primal are you: I would say about 80% primal Do you consume dairy: Yes. Raw/unpasteurised if possible Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, mainly tea - but I also have good quality fresh ground coffee once a day. None of the instant rubbish! Motivator for switching to Primal: Better health and weight loss Favorite exercise: Walking, kettlebells Favorite Primal food: Grass fed beef steak Best part about being Primal: Not being a slave to conventional eating patterns driven by low blood-sugar hunger pangs.....it's so liberating! Worst part about being Primal: Eating out or dining with less-enlightened friends who refuse to 'see'.....

Comment

• Your location: Kailua, Hawaii

Age (If you want): 46

How Primal are you: I'm pretty damn primal

Do you consume dairy: 2 table spoons of organic milk in my coffee

Do you drink coffee or tea: yup, coffee in the AM, and herbal tea throughout the day

Motivator for switching to Primal: At 46 it is becoming harder and harder to keep fit, and keep the weight down. At first I thought it was hormonal changes, but then learned about the Primal Blueprint, and realized I had a lot to learn

Favorite exercise: body work with weight

Favorite Primal food: Nuts

Best part about being Primal: I can see my body changing almost daily, and I feel really good about myself

Worst part about being Primal: I get laughed at alot, and it's really hard to follow a Primal diet when you're not at home.

Comment

• Your location: Selirk ON Canada

Age (If you want): 44

How Primal are you: Maybe 60% right now...left to myself I am very primal but when I get really busy at work I tend to screw it up.

Do you consume dairy: I love all dairy but have cut down drastically as of late.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee in the morning, sometimes iced green tea during the day

Motivator for switching to Primal: I'm not switching so much as getting back to it-although I never knew there was a site or a whole bunch of others doing the same thing! So as I learn from here I will be adding that knowledge-always said if we ate like cavemen we'd all be healthier, imagine my suprise finding this site :-)

Favorite exercise: I like my pilates ball when it's cold out, when it's nice I hike a lot.

Favorite Primal food: Fish

Best part about being Primal: I am not sure yet, I will have to learn more and apply that to say for sure.

Worst part about being Primal: I am so damn busy at work right now that long walks are hard to fit in, the "move slowly" stuff.

Comment

• Hi! I'm Kate~ I'm in louisiana and I'm excited to find this site... I look forward to learning lots more about my primal potential and discussing future success with many of you

Comment

• Your location: Dallas, TX, USA

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you: Week two-ish? but only because i didn't discover it sooner

Do you consume dairy: Not right now.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes - both.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want my body to work the way it is supposed to work.

Favorite exercise: walking/running

Favorite Primal food: any meat that glistens in its own juices

Best part about being Primal: i feel good.. i don't crash in the afternoons really

Worst part about being Primal: trying to explain to people what you're doing and the look they give you when you say 'caveman'

Comment

• Coco pictures

Ues, but not everthing black and white, something is gray

Miranda

Comment

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: i "officially" went Primal three days ago but i've been teetering close to Primal living for a while

Do you consume dairy: yes. though i've decresed it dramatically over time and keep it to a minimum (stopped drinking regular milk a few years ago)

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes.

Motivator for switching to Primal: cut body fat, improve lean mass & overall health

Favorite exercise: yoga, hiking, water sports

Favorite Primal food: i literally JUST started to reintroduce my body to red meat after not eating it for 13+ years a couple of weeks ago (just out of a natural desire to start eating MEAT again) but i can safely say that BISON is my favorite primal food.

Best part about being Primal: recognizing hunger vs the desire to simply eat and healing my food "issues"

Worst part about being Primal: nothing i can come up with at the moment! it's been awesome!
                        live mindfully.
                        she's a Coconut Girl in a PRIMAL world... my PB journal

Comment

• Your location: Northern Germany (near Eutin). I'm a transplanted California woman.

Age (If you want): 43

How Primal are you: 90%

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, both, but "black"

Motivator for switching to Primal: It's given me the best results so far, and I've tried a lot.

Favorite exercise: Nordic walking / weight training

Favorite Primal food: Chicken

Best part about being Primal: Losing weight / less pain

Worst part about being Primal: Lack of understanding from non-informed eaters.

I mostly started looking for what works best for me wanting to lose weight. I did quite a few years of ups and downs, with more ups in weight than downs. 3 years ago I started developing RA (rheumatoid arthritis), so I looked for ways to refine my diet and exercise to fight the pain without using drugs. I tried vegetarian, raw eating, vegan, but Primal has helped me the most so far. The weight is falling off of me finally, and painful flare-ups are fewer and farther between, and I don't get sick as often as I used to. I have recently increased my fasting from half day fasting, to 1 day of fasting followed by 2 days of half fasting, and am now fasting every other day until I reach a healthy weight. My daughter who is still much heavier than I am, was so impressed by my progress, that she has also changed her diet, and fasts with me. Unfortunately she won't workout with me though.

Edit to add:
                          I am 5'9, 88 kg today, which is still over weight, but I started off with 108 kg. So, I'm moving in the right direction.
                          Female, age 44, height 174 cm (5'9)
                          Starting weight: 108 kg (237.6 lbs.)
                          Weight goal: 62 kg (136.4 lbs.)
                          Current weight: 82.5 kg (181.5 lbs.)

Comment

• Your location: South Florida (Fort Lauderdale)

Age (If you want): 23

How Primal are you: About 70%. Sometimes I feel like my husband and I are so young and everyone around us is having a good time that that I just want to give into food temptations, not fully I still have limitations but sometimes I just don't want to fight, for lack of a better word.

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Only herbal coffee and tea the husband still drinks coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: It feels right on an instinctual level. To many health issues not try a full lifestyle change.

Favorite exercise: Climbing trees!

Favorite Primal food: Game Meat and Organ Meats and oohh!! Bone Marrow love bone marrow.

Best part about being Primal: No guilt when it comes to food! Feeling light and satisfied after eating plus the closer connection you get to nature from being outdoors.

Worst part about being Primal: Hard to stick to the no grain rule when I can digest corn and reducing the amount of dairy I currently consume.

Comment

• Your location: England

Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you: As of today, pretty primal! And have lived quite a few years (my thinnest, healthiest) as 80% primal in the past

Do you consume dairy: at the moment yes, but I have been told by a few people it may be the cause of my hives, so once I am more underway with the Primal Lifestyle I plan to start phasing it out.

Do you drink coffee or tea: 1 cup a day, but again, I see this as an area I can refine if I feel the need once I'm trucking!

Motivator for switching to Primal: I know this way of eating works, I'm tired of carrying round an extra 40 pounds which are neither use nor ornament, and my Mum has been eating like this for 6 months, and seems to finally have "won" her battle with food - she's almost creepily zen! And looks wonderful.

Favorite exercise: Love walking and swiming

Favorite Primal food: Today I've cooked sausage egg muffins for lunch, and got a mind blowing chicken coconut curry simmering away - I can't pick, I love it all!

Best part about being Primal: Only just started, so I guess, right now it's the fact that I feel this is something that makes sense, and isn't mental. I'm hoping in a few months I will be saying, being lean and full of sunshine-type energy, and enjoying the beach again.

Worst part about being Primal: Social b*llshit pressure from others to eat grains (e.g. brithday cake or sandwiches in meetings, where nothing else is provided) or get drunk. But I know that as my insulin regulates, this will get easier to ignore.

Comment

• Your location: Virginia

Age (If you want): 39.9

How Primal are you: Just getting started, transitioning from Slow-Carb

Do you consume dairy: Rarely

Do you drink coffee or tea: Some, Maybe 3-4 times a week

Motivator for switching to Primal: Losing Inches, but not weight. Already doing most of the process, just fine tuning now.

Favorite exercise: Kettlebell Swing because of the great results

Favorite Primal food: Fruit, Coconut

Best part about being Primal: I've been pretty natural for years now. I like how simple and natural it is.

Worst part about being Primal: I will miss my sweet pastries I have been indulging in on my cheating days, if I don't continue that dicipline.
                                My Journal
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X