X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi,

Your location: Texas

Age (If you want): 40

How Primal are you: jumped in all the way right away -- not hard just finished up a 21-day fast where I had already taken grain, sugar, soda, etc out of my diet. Am happy to add meat back in but take out the beans and lentils.

Do you consume dairy: heavy whipping cream with my coffee

Do you drink coffee or tea: both

Motivator for switching to Primal: tired of being tired, tired of being worried about my weight for the past 28 years; want more energy more fitness more life

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: love veggies but currently really loving meat of all kinds --- wrapping my brain around actually eating meat has been fun

Best part about being Primal: it's only been 2 weeks but I already have more energy then I have ever had and it's lasting all day! No more 3 pm drag!

Worst part about being Primal: getting my husband to believe it's not another fad for me

Comment

• Your Location: London, UK

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: 80% but giving up gluten free bread now so no bread at all soon !

Do you consume dairy: Yes (milk, cheese, yoghurt too sometimes)

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both, but giving up coffee today, and going to strictly limit tea and converting to herbal

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health & fitness

Favorite exercise: Bodyweight callisthenics

Favorite Primal food: Meat

Best part about being Primal: Becoming physically lean, muscular & strong !

Worst part about being Primal: Missing pastries & pizza ...

Comment

• Hello,
        In response to this "obligatory" meet and greet, I am a fledgling Primal, living in Port Townsend, Washington, and just turned 42 years old today. I've been grain-free for approximately 4 weeks, now, with an occasional bite or two of grain as not to be rude when not eating in my home.

I consume dairy, but the majority of the time it is in its "raw" state (we are fortunate enough to have a local raw milk dairy). I make raw milk kefir weekly, and have made raw milk yogurt at times, but the family prefers the smoother texture of Brown Cow or Greek Gods yogurts. I enjoy cheese, especially Romano. I can't see giving up dairy; grains have been fairly easy to dismiss, but dairy would be nearly impossible. I became caffeine-free last June, after nearly 20+ years of extremely strong coffee (the equivalent of 4 cups in one!), and now enjoy the herbal coffee, "Teeccino", with smooth, rich, heavy cream; I also use cream in my herbal teas.

My motivation for switching to Primal has actually been a slowly evolving course. I first read "The Fat Fallacy" by Dr. Will Clower in 2003, which opened my eyes to the true fallacies of our fat-phobic society and medical establishment. Since then, I have been devouring every book imaginable on traditional diets and real food. I stumbled upon Marks Daily Apple last year, but wasn't completely sold on the idea of no grains yet, partly because I was reading the Nourishing Traditions stance on grains, which states the grains must be "properly prepared" in order to break down the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. I made my own sourdough starter, and worked diligently every weekend to make the perfect sourdough, which was a fermented, "properly prepared" grain. Alas, my attempts were futile and frustrating; I took a break, and ordered The Primal Blueprint, which I read cover to cover in a few days. It now makes complete sense in evolutionary terms that we are not made for grains.

My favorite exercise? I'm still trying to figure that out. Since I've never liked the Conventional Wisdom of exercise, aka "Chronic Cardio" or working out at gyms, the Primal Blueprint way of exercise suits me nicely. A little here, a little there, move slowly most days, and sprint once in a while. I've never had a problem with "moving" since I walk to work, but I've recently dusted off my bicycle and have increased my activities. My family and I sprinted once the past two weeks, but the lactic acid build up in my thighs was so painful, I've taken some time off! I also enjoy taking dance lessons, albeit with two left feet, but I consider it "personal enrichment".

My "favorite" Primal food escapes me; I am truly enjoying everything savory, and have no desire for breads or sweets (except dark chocolate 85%).

The best part about being Primal is that I don't feel "bloated" anymore. Enough said.

The worst part about being Primal has to do with the social ramifications: the possibility of being rude, snooty, or giving the impression that this is "just another fad diet".

Comment

• Your location: New Zealand

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: Definitely committed to it as a way of life (it just makes so much sense and I feel infinitely better). I haven't had much in the way of results yet (after 8 weeks) but that's because I'm still learning and fine tuning. Just signed up to FitDay which is a great tool and has helped already.

Do you consume dairy: Mayo, yogurt and cheese (small quantities, not every day) and cream when there are berries in the house!

Do you drink coffee or tea: No.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Wanted a better way of living/eating that was sustainable long term. Oh yeah, and I'd like to shift about 30kgs too!

Favorite exercise: Walking my dogs every day

Favorite Primal food: Meat!

Best part about being Primal: I'm not hungry all the time any more - for the first time in living memory!

Worst part about being Primal: Eating out is tricky, but I guess that's when the 80/20 thing comes into play.

Comment

• Your location: Northern California

Age (If you want): 64

How Primal are you: One week in and I have been so good. I made Mark's pressure cooker beef stew on Super Bowl Sunday.

Do you consume dairy: Full fat cream in my coffee, some cheese, butter all the time.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee in the morning. Sometimes a cup in the afternoon.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was zero carb for 6-8 months but had to take Immodium almost every day. Didn't want to take pills. I lost weight but still had the love handles.

I then went on the no s diet. No sweets, no seconds, no snacks, except sometimes on days that start with S. That made a lot of sense to me because that is how I grew up. Three meals a day. But, we should not eliminate any food group. Yay! Bring on the shredded wheat, the toast, Cherrios with bananas . . . you know the drill. And bread. I love bread. I grew up on fresh baked bread. My mother used to make her own english muffins.

We didn't eat between meals, we didn't snack generally. But honestly I can remember having Wonder bread with butter and sugar sprinkled on top. Delicious. (This was later in my childhood, not when my mom was doing all her baking)

I started really putting on the weight and after six months I was a balloon and felt miserable.

Favorite exercise: I used to t-tapp but could never get certain moves right. It seemed to expand my abdominal area rather than make it smaller. I have also noticed that any time I use the exercises which call for me to stretch to the side always cause my waist to get bigger. I'm looking forward to Groking out.

Favorite Primal food: All of it.

Best part about being Primal: I feel great! I cannot believe that in just one week the following has happened: I can see that my face has lost a lot of bloat. My jaw line is getting tighter. The back of my legs has already lost the cellulite. This is truly amazing.

Worst part about being Primal: There is no worst part for me. At 64, I mostly don't give a crap what anyone says.

I have been on Atkins and went to the forums but, it was so much about how can I eat a frankenfood as a substitute for the food that got us fat and unhealthy in the first place.

I can't go there. I got the book PB and read it through this past week. I started before the book because I came here and this is a great place to learn.

THANK YOU, MARK.

P.S. I read Dave Parson's success story and was blown away. I thought, there is hope for me.

This is probably the longest post I will ever make. I don't journal.

Comment

• Your location: Saskatchewan Canada

Age (If you want): 39

How Primal are you: Aiming for 100% probably hitting 80%

Do you consume dairy: Whipping Cream, Cottage Cheese, and Cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes and Yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: 7 years ago I lost around 80 pounds Clean Eating, keeping a 40% Protein / 30% Carb / 30% Fat balance, and exercising like a mad man. After 7 years it's been getting harder and harder to maintain. I was starting to lose the weight battle and was on average carrying an extra 10 to 20 pounds over the last 2 years. Had a lot of friends who were into Paleo and one pointed me towards Mark's site, I bought the Primal Blue Print Book and everything seemed to add up so I made the change December 29, 2010

Favorite exercise: pull-ups

Favorite Primal food: steak

Best part about being Primal: easy to stick to after you de-program yourself from all the mainstream fitness advice

Worst part about being Primal: Miss the morning oatmeal

Comment

• Your location: North Island, New Zealand

How primal are you: Im new to Primal, have been doing really well over the last month with the occasional "slip-up". Working towards 100%

Do you consume dairy: Yes, Full fat milk, butter, yoghurt, and small amounts of cheese

Do you drink tea or coffee: Yes Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: I always knew something was wrong with the way "health" magazines and nutritionists were saying we should eat. The Primal Blueprint was the 1st lifestyle plan that spoke to me and made sense!

Favourite exercise: Trail running, beach walks, all with the dog in tow.

Favourite primal food: Free-range streaky bacon

Best part about being primal: Feeling "lighter" more alert and energetic.

Worst part about being Primal: Saying goodbye to sweet sugary foods

Comment

• Originally posted by timconradinc View Post
                  In other forums I've been a member of in the past - at least for small communities - there's been a 'introduce yourself' thread with some questions that people can answer. I know that there are people reading this forum that are fully primal, partially primal, and are considering it. I thought that I'd put some questions together to cover these things just to get an idea of who's out there.

The Questions:

Your location:Agawam Ma

Age (If you want):72

How Primal are you: just starting

Do you consume dairy:some

Do you drink coffee or tea:coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal:wait loss, health

Favorite exercise: lazy

Favorite Primal food:beef

Best part about being Primal:I hope to know soon.I know my kids are all primal and doing well

Worst part about being Primal:
                  none that I can see

Comment

• Your location: Washington state
                    How primal are you?: Fairly primal, but I'm new to it and still learning
                    Do you consume dairy?: Yes. Butter, yogurt, raw milk whenever I have milk
                    Do you drink tea or coffee?: Mostly tea
                    Motivator for switching to Primal: Losing weight and improving overall health
                    Favorite exercise: Martial arts
                    Favorite primal food: Don't really have one
                    Best part about being primal: Too early to say
                    Worst part about being primal: Nobody around me seems to understand this way of eating
                    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Comment

• Hi everyone, my user name is Falcon but call me Anna. I found this site via the Caveman Power website, and have that user name on that forum, so it seemed appropriate. Peregrine falcons are my favourite birds, in case you were wondering. I've been on the primal lifestyle/paleo diet since the start of December 2010 and so far have lost 15lbs. Yay!

Your location: Birmingham, England

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: Mostly primal but trying to become fully primal

Do you consume dairy: skimmed milk in two cups of tea per day, butter for cooking, but that's it.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No coffee, two black teas per day, the rest green tea or water.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Initially it was weight loss, but now I'm feeling so great I want to make it a permanent lifestyle change.

Favorite exercise: Shotokan karate. I've been practising for ten years, but last year my club had to close down so now I don't have a formal training place or partner. Am experimenting with different types of exercise and trying to incorporate play more.

Favorite Primal food: Beef meatballs in a sauce of tomato, onion, garlic, mushroom, courgette and pepper. Mmmm. Or anything with lots of meat.

Best part about being Primal: Feeling so healthy whilst snacking on fatty foods other people are horrified by!

Worst part about being Primal: being teased for being a cavegirl? Actually, sometimes it's trying to justify to myself a weekend on the beer. I like beer.

That's me! Looking forward to meeting you all.

Comment

• Your location: Seattle, Washington aka Microsoft/rainy days mecca.

Age (If you want): Eighteen years young.

How Primal are you: Varies by season (and by season meaning, not at all during the holidays. God, I love my pumpkin bread and cookies during the holidays). Every other time, I am fairly primal. I'd say 90-95% of the time.

Do you consume dairy: Nah. Never liked it even when I ate unhealthy.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Mostly an herbal tea drinker. Caffeine gives me too much of the bad jitters.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Made perfect sense from the beginning until the end in a scientifical and philosophical stand point

Favorite exercise: Rock climbing, sprints, lifting heavy things, yoga

Favorite Primal food: Filet Mignon

Best part about being Primal: Bacon (I know.. cliche.. but true)

Worst part about being Primal: Holiday season, as stated above.
                        It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change - Charles Darwin

Comment

• Your location: New Mexico

Age (If you want): Middle

How Primal are you: Newly

Do you consume dairy: I do, and my consumption of butter, cheese and milk has gone up since beginning primal eating.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I do. Lots of both.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight loss, health improvement.

Favorite exercise: Walking.

Favorite Primal food: Steak.

Best part about being Primal: Fats

Worst part about being Primal: Greasy stove.

Comment

• Your location: Gurnee, IL

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: For the past two weeks I am all primal and this is motivating. Now I am sticking to it very seriously.

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: No

Motivator for switching to Primal: Well my personal experience. I didnt get results by putting in my best efforts. I researched and found out the reason for it. Primal is the way to go.

Favorite exercise: I follow P90x. It is a mix of workouts. Still I love doing various kinds of push ups. Cant get enough of them.

Favorite Primal food: Eggs! It is interesting that we can do so much different stuff with them.

Best part about being Primal: helps optimizing the results.

Worst part about being Primal: None. I mean I wasnt primal because I wasnt aware. So since I now know the value, I am all about it.

Comment

• Your location: Southampton (England)

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you: Will answer this once i know what it all means fully

Do you consume dairy: Yes for now

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: Need to loose weight and want to get muscle definition

Favorite exercise: Mountian biking and cross trainer in the gym

Favorite Primal food: Will answer this once i fully understand it all

Best part about being Primal: Will answer this once i fully understand it all

Worst part about being Primal: Will answer this once i fully understand it all
                              MY BLOG

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Washington State

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you: Almost 7 months in

Do you consume dairy: Yes, all of it

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both

Motivator for switching to Primal: to become healthy, lose weight and set a good example for my children

Favorite exercise: walking, dancing

Favorite Primal food: Chicken

Best part about being Primal: I have lost 50 lbs and haven't felt this great in years.

Worst part about being Primal: Going on vacation

Comment

Working...
                                X