• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: Sturgis, SD

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you: Been 90/10 for a month now

Do you consume dairy: occasionally

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: Was looking for a change in my eating that I could carry on for the rest of my days

Favorite exercise: soccer

Favorite Primal food: bacon/any fats

Best part about being Primal: energy and effortless weight loss

Worst part about being Primal: my giant bowls of popcorn
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    J. Stanton

Comment

• Your Location: Minneapolis
      How Primal are you: 80% - good during the weeks, but room for beer with friends.
      Do I consume dairy: yes - cheese.
      Do I drink coffee or tea: coffee very rare, tea seldom
      Motivator for switching to primal: need to loose weight
      favorite exercise: raquetball
      favorite primal food: mondo meat orbs
      best part about primal: feeling better internally
      worst part: I miss regular noodles.

Comment

• Your location: Central NY

Age (If you want): 29

How Primal are you: 95%. Basically 100% except on special occasions (a couple drinks on New Year's Eve, the possibility of non-primal foods at family gatherings, etc)

Do you consume dairy: Yes (goat milk and goat cheese)

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea frequently, coffee very infrequently (maybe 5-10 times a year)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Better health in all respects: mental/mood, exercise/fitness performance, longevity, etc...

Favorite exercise: My favorite activity is bouldering, but I'm an extremely active person and I participate in a variety of sports and activities. I'm also a runner (I know, chronic cardio... I manage it well though I believe). As for specific exercises, I guess my favorites are deadlifts, pull-ups, and handstands (if they count).

Favorite Primal food: Oh boy... bison meat may be my #1 at the moment, though I'm also a seafood nut (basically any fish, clams, oysters... yum). I'm also an egg addict (scrambled with spinach and goat cheese), and I LOVE almond butter (with apples for dipping).

Best part about being Primal: Just the overall effect it has on my life. Living primal (eating primal, being active, sleeping plenty, etc) makes me feel better in every way. I perform better physically and mentally, I feel less stressed, I have more energy, I'm happy with how I look, and I have absolutely zero health concerns. The net effect of primal living is that I'm a healthier and, more importantly, happier person.

Worst part about being Primal: Getting frustrated with all the CW surrounding me and constantly being thrown in my face (though I've pretty much learned not to be bothered by it at this point).

Comment

• Your location: Maryland

Age (If you want): 47

How Primal are you: Well, it's been a week. I have one cup of black coffee a day, and have had a bit of cheese. Otherwise, it's eggs, meat, fruit, vegetables, and nuts.

Do you consume dairy: a bit of cheese only

Do you drink coffee or tea: one cup of black coffee daily

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to become lean, and to stop bingeing.

Favorite exercise: body combat class (it's like kickboxing)

Favorite Primal food: that's too hard. I'm really enjoying BAS for lunch.

Best part about being Primal: I feel lean already

Worst part about being Primal: giving up over-exercising

Comment

• Another newbie convert!!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around the last couple weeks while reading the PB book and cookbook and all the fantastic, yet overwhelming, amounts of information on this site and forum. I'm still trying to figure it all out but I think I've got the basics!

Your location: I live overseas with my husband, we're expats currently living in Bogota Colombia...and let me tell you, very third world and not many organics or regulations on pesticides...although heaps of fresh fruits and veggies, some very odd ones as well!

Age (If you want): 46

How Primal are you: I'd say after happily going cold turkey from the start, I'm about 95% primal and loving it!!

Do you consume dairy: very limited amount, mostly an ounce of cheese occasionally on a salad

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes! this is my only REAL vice, I actually drink one of those high carb flavored coffees and I pay alot to import it to where I live since I cant get it here or most other countries.....throughout the years, while very sick and having severe allergic reactions to various other things, this was the only thing that Id put back into my diet once healed enough. Its a vice I allow myself, although high in carbs.....this is my 20% allowance I guess! I've determined that the smell and the taste are relaxing and calming to me.....sounds addictive no?

Motivator for switching to Primal: I've been trying to go grain free for years, although not allergic to it via testing, i have noticed I don't metabolize it well and I always feel bad....breads and pastas were unfortunate but obtainable foods while traveling, which we do alot, and with allergies/intolerance's and language difference and not being able to be certain what I'm eating and not wanting to pay for it later....pastas, breads, potatoes were a 'safe' choice at best. I currently remain allergic to beef, soy, corn, yucca at the moment.

Favorite exercise: tennis, but not much of that going on due to weather/constant rain and high altitude makes breathing difficult beyond a walk (over 8,000 ft above sea level)

Favorite Primal food: am very happy to be able to eat fruit and nuts!! most dietary changes remove fruit first!

Best part about being Primal: I immediately started feeling better, I'd already started weaning myself after the holidays off grains of all kinds so i never really felt the 'flu' symptoms I've read about. Just removing the grains alone I dropped 10lbs in about 2 wks w/o a thought about dieting. It truly is just a change of eating habits I hope to maintain for a lifetime. I GET IT!!
            I also have not had to take many meds for issues with inflamed, swollen intestines either, perhaps once after eating some questionable lamb but in 1 month perhaps 2 pills (normally 3 pills a day)

Worst part about being Primal: Invitations to someones house, I've dealt with it before because of my allergies, I'd bring something or eat beforehand....its a bummer and also I'm simply tired of repeating myself when someone is telling me or pressuring me, dont worry, eat it. I cooked it myself no worries....people w/o food allergies or who eat like 'normal people' don't get it. But really thats not a PB issue, its a people issue!!

ok so heres where I ask a question from all you seasoned members!! The more I read the more confused I get. I'm using the fitday.com site to log my meals etc. The last two weeks I've not dropped any lbs, even though I'm on target with calories and always around 50-80 net carbs per day. tinkering with more and less exercise didn't budge anything nor did reducing fruit and nut intake. I see that Marks 'pie graph' (on the sample meal page) is around 50-55% fat, 15-20% carbs, 20-25% protein. Is that the magic % to shoot for?
            My pie chart generally looks like a peace sign, 43% fat, 44% carb and 13% protein.....does this explain why I've not had any weight loss lately? I'm thinking I just need to increase my protein intake? I really dont have much to loose, only about 15lbs of fat thats appeared due to my sedentary ways of late....I can feel/see a slight melting effect happening as well.

thank you all and I look forward to discovering more good stuff from all your experiences!!!

Kelly

Comment

• Introduction

Your location: Minneapolis, MN

Age (If you want): 40

How Primal are you: All the way. I eat zero grains and little to no processed sugars. I eat a low amount of carbohydrates: around 50 grams per day. I eat the highest quality food I can find and afford.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, mostly in the form of cream and whole milk.

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: I researched what was the healthiest way to eat and concluded that this was it. I have for years doubted the wisdom of eating a diet high in carbohydrates.

Favorite exercise: Barbell squats. I enjoy freeweights—barbells, dumbbells and kettlebells.

Favorite Primal food: Steak.

Best part about being Primal: My fitness. I'm slender and strong.

Worst part about being Primal: The food is expensive.

Comment

• Name: Erin

Your location: Sierra Nevadas, CA - Right outsided Yosemite National Park

Age (If you want): 29

How Primal are you: I'm a newbie, but I dove in headfirst. Quit cold turkey all of my former favorite foods. I strive to be fully Primal, and I haven't slipped up yet.

Do you consume dairy: Occasional cheese and plain yogurt, but no milk

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea - can't live without it. Also, trying my hand at home-brewing kombucha.

Motivator for switching to Primal: My cousin recommended it. Wanted to give it a try, so I looked around here and found plenty of great information and motivational tips.

Favorite exercise: Kettlebell. One of my new fitness loves.

Favorite Primal food: Steak

Best part about being Primal: The challenge presented to explore foods without processed junk or starchy carbs; finding new ways to eat veggies. Who knew I liked kale?

Worst part about being Primal: Pasta was one of my favorite things. I switched to whole grain pasta in an attempt to be more conscientious about my diet/lifestyle. Now I've given it up completely.

Comment

• Hey all. I'm totally new here. I heard about Mark Sisson, this site, and Primal Blueprint from cutthefatpodcast.com and I am so excited to finally find something that actually lines up with my understanding/beliefs, makes sense, is easy and sustainable, and promotes health, not just fat loss!
                  Here's a bit about me:

Your location: Forest Grove, OR (near Portland)

Age (If you want): 27

How Primal are you: I'd say 65%, working on 100%

Do you consume dairy: A little, but have been easing it out of my meals over a few months...I do love my Gorgonzolla cheese on lamb and pork though!

Do you drink coffee or tea: Usually one or two cups of coffee a day, and 2 or so of tea each day...trying to cut the coffee.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Want to look good and feel great, have more energy, avoid diabetes, help change my parents nutrition lifestyle (both are diabetic), LGN (getting married in a year!), lose weight, and be able to do things I never have been able to do.

Favorite exercise: I really like butterflies, but I also enjoy the rowing machine for my cardio. Mostly I enjoy deadlifts because they hurt so much.

Favorite Primal food: Umm...steak?

Best part about being Primal: Meat and vegatables? Yes please!

Worst part about being Primal: I do love my flavored breads, so I will miss those...but nothing else.

Basically, I've been overweight my entire life. My senior year in college I decided to lose weight, so I started reading and learning a ton about nutrition and fitness - mostly starting with the Abs Diet. It worked for a while, and I went from 314 lbs to 245...then my life fell apart, a bunch of crap happened, and I went back up to 320 over a couple years. After meeting my now girlfriend-soon-to-be-wife, I decided to get my ass in gear and lose this weight once and for all. I was able to drop 20 lbs using diet and exercise like I had in the past...but I stopped there - for months! No matter what I did I couldn't get past 300 lbs. I started doing a high-protein, Low-carb diet (low carb, as in 250ish grams a day!) Still nothing. It wasn't until about a month ago when I picked up Primal Blueprint that I learned my body is incredibly insulin resistant and all those carbs I eat aren't letting me lose my weight! Less than a week into not eating any carbs and I feel great, enjoy the guilt-free lifestyle of eating bacon (among other many things i enjoy), I'm not hungry at all, and I don't miss skipping the birthday cakes at work (a VERY regular thing) because I know when I get home I can eat some MEAT!

I know this is something I can easily live with for the rest of my life, and I look forward to it. My friends are worried about eating less than 100 grams of carbs a day, but I need them to read PB and MDA for them to see the truth! I look forward to being fit, healthy, energetic, LGN - I'm excited to become a "success story" rather than a failure - but mostly, I'm excited to help others along the same path I've walked.

Thank you Mark and the gang for all this invaluable information! I look forward to my new life!

Comment

• Your location: Calgary, Alberta (Canada)

Age (If you want): 34.5

How Primal are you: 80% (and increasing).

Do you consume dairy: Cheese. I can't live without m'cheese! Just sprinkles of cheese here and there though...

Do you drink coffee or tea: Not really - never have.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Insulin balance.

Favorite exercise: Yoga - for the restoration. (Waiting till my back heals before I try CrossFit; I'm sure I'll be hooked immediately.)

Favorite Primal food: Eggs.

Best part about being Primal: The ratio of easiness to effectiveness. It's not a lot of work, and the rewards are astronomical.

Worst part about being Primal: Explaining it to people.

Comment

• Your location: London, ON (Canada)

Age (If you want): 24

How Primal are you: 85ish%

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: Black coffee. YES!

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight loss

Favorite exercise: Running, soccer, playing with my kids

Favorite Primal food: rare steak

Best part about being Primal: Feeling better physically, and looking hawt!

Worst part about being Primal: The guilt about not starting my kids out on the right path from day 1, and trying to get them transitioned to a better diet..

Comment

• Your location: Bowling Green, KY

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you:

More Ketogenic than primal. I still eat a lot of un-organic processed meats etc, but I'm TRYING my best to make the switch. I only eat around 30grams of Carbs per day, and the majority of that is from Green vegetables. I use some whey protein, and supplement with 5000iu of Vit D3 per day, Fish oil etc.

Do you consume dairy: I eat cheese, and some creams. No Milk.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both, yes.

Motivator for switching to Primal:

After I read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" By Gary Taubes, I got heavily into Nutrition. I have been working out five days a week for years, but I was never able to get as lean and feel as good, as I did after adopting a Ketogenic diet. I read "The Ketogenic Diet" and "The Rapid Fat loss Handbook" by Lyle Mcdonald which got me started on the path. I have studied Biology, physiology and biochemistry, and I believe that the primal style of eating is the most natural way for humans to eat.

I aim to become fully primal as soon as my money situation allows.

Favorite exercise:

Biceps and Triceps day at the gym! :-)

Favorite Primal food:

The big-ass Salad

Best part about being Primal:

Being part of an intelligent fringe-group....and knowing that I'm truly eating as healthy as I possible can.

Worst part about being Primal:

Milk Chocolate and Cereal.....oh how I miss you.

My Website:
                        www.undergroundnutritionist.com

Comment

• Your location: Kansas by way of the Caribbean

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you: Not at all...waiting on my books.

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Rarely

Motivator for switching to Primal: Want to get healthier and look better.

Favorite exercise: Swimming

Favorite Primal food: Not sure.

Best part about being Primal: I'll tell you when I start.

Worst part about being Primal: See above.
                          Height: 5' 7"
                          Starting: 211.8 (43% bf)
                          Current: 191.8
                          Goal: 155 (23% bf)

Comment

• Your location: Dumont, NJ

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: A little too interperative. I'll just say "I'm getting there" : )

Do you consume dairy: not since December, even before then, rarely

Do you drink coffee or tea: Very rarely. Black Coffee maybe once a week, tea even less

Motivator for switching to Primal: Hmm, a little birdy told me about it. Was reluctant, but went through with it. I am also a type 2 diabetic.

Favorite exercise: Treadmill and weights

Favorite Primal food: BACON!

Best part about being Primal: Not feeling sluggish from the carbs I used to consume en masse.

Worst part about being Primal: Oh how I miss brownies!

Comment

• Your location:

Age (If you want): 51

How Primal are you: 95%

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, one or two cups of black coffee each morning.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Although my health was good at least according to my doctor, it was obvious to me that if I didn't change something it would be a slow but steady decline into the next few decades. A primal lifestyle already meshed well with my recreational activities and I have always been interested in natural history and evolution. Somewhere in my closet is a college diploma stating that I am supposed to know something about Biology. I also earn my living manufacturing Pharmaceuticals (sorry about that one). A primal lifestyle was a natural fit for me.

It has been seven months and 35lbs. I feel better than I can ever remember with consistent energy, I just generally feel great. For those who have been primal a while you know. For those who are just starting the journey you will know.

Favorite exercise: Dragging a buck out of the woods.

Favorite Primal food: Brook trout with milkweed buds (Caught and foraged in the same trip!)

Best part about being Primal: Every day feeling like a human is supposed to feel.

Worst part about being Primal: Not being able to convince people you care about to join in.

Comment

• Your location: Cardiff, Wales

Age (If you want): 24

How Primal are you: Grok Incarnate

Do you drink coffee or tea: No

Motivator for switching to Primal: Did raw vegan for a while, worked intially then felt like I was lacking in vitality & vigor. Ate a more conventional whole foods "healthy" diet for a while, then was diagnosed with hashimoto's autoimmune condition, gluten intolerance & a few other minor problems. Found the blog, & testimonials from other raw vegans et voila

#Favorite exercise: Dancing, rebounding, yoga, bodyweight stuff

Favorite Primal food: After being vegan for so long....steak

Best part about being Primal: I feel better, am losing weight and enjoy what I eat

Worst part about being Primal: Food takes longer to prepare than when I was RV

Comment

Working...
                                X