Orthodox Christianity and Primal Living

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orthodox Christianity and Primal Living

Any Orthodox Christian Groksters here? Our obvious concern would be about the fasting days, when we abstain from all meat, wine and dairy. What do you do then?

Many people here incorporate regular fasting in to their diets. Could you just fast on your fasting days and eating nothing?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Yes...we can have fish on some days. All good ideas (except eggs)

Comment

jammies: we can. But we dont always ;-)

Actually, we fast most Wednesdays and Fridays, then we have four fasting seasons annually, the longest being Great Lent, which lasts almost two months, and is the most strict

Comment

I have no idea why this would be a problem. Can you explain why there is a conflict? Do your beliefs tell you that you have to eat grains, industrial oils, or sugar? Certainly, Primal doesn't require you to eat red meat every day.
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

There is no conflict. Typically, I would eat eggs, meat and dairy, all things we cannot have on fasting days. Just wondering what other options are

Comment

I'm not Orthodox, but I gather that Great Lent removes oil as well as meat and dairy. So getting decent amounts of fat might be a problem. I'm not sure whether fish is permitted.

Comment

Only olive oil

Comment

You may find your answer in this http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34001.html

I didn't look any further than the first post (since it's not pertinent to myself), unsure if it'll be of any use.
                  Last edited by Metric; 07-06-2012, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Only olive oil

Comment

ah! Thanks, Metric!

Comment

ah! Thanks metric!

Comment

Ah, then you'll still have coconut oil (and coconut milk). Thai-style vegetables, and prawns if they're allowed, sounds like the way to go.

Comment

Yea! There ARE other Orthodox Christians here! We do have our challenges with the Fasts, don't we? To the new calendar Orthodox here, I wish you a blessed Feast of Holy Dormition (as of yesterday). To the old calendar Orthodox, I wish you a blessed Dormition Fast.

Here are a couple of food suggestions for a lenten-style breakfast that I've been using -- they may only be borderline primal, but at least they aren't anti-primal:

I start my day with a cup of coffee and coconut milk. Then I may have:

*Cereal*
                            Mostly fill a bowl with berries or other fruit. Then put about a quarter cup or so of walnuts on top. After that I top it with a spoonful of hemp hearts, some sunflower seeds, a tablespoon or so of ground flax seed, and some shredded unsweetened coconut. I'm sure there may be other things one could add too. Then I pour over a mixture of coconut milk and unsweetened almond milk (plain coconut milk is too thick for me) and dig in with a spoon.

Another thing I do for breakfast is a green smoothie--
                            Add to a blender:
                            1 chopped apple
                            1/4 avocado (or more if you like)
                            Pulp of 1/2 lemon (I scoop it out with a grapefruit spoon)
                            1 cup of cold green tea (Note: I put a couple of green tea bags in a quart jar of water and let it sit for a few hours, then put it in the fridge so it is ready -- an easy way to make green "sun tea")

I blend all of the above together until it is nice and smooth, then I add a few handfuls of greens -- like spinach, collards, kale, or Romaine and blend well. I keep adding greens until I know there is a good amount in there, but I don't measure.

I find as long as I add the avocado, I don't need to add any sweetener.

I've got a few more recipes/suggestions for other meals if anyone is interested, but this is my first post and I don't want to make it too long!

God bless,
                            Ruth
                            Last edited by Antiochia; 08-16-2012, 04:29 PM. Reason: better grammar
                            Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

Working...
                            X