St. Patty's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Patty's

How's everyone celebrating St. Patrick's Day?

Me, I'm wearing my kilt!

Corned Beef and Cabbage all the way.

Comment

Me too on the CB & C--plus wearing green, of course.

I'll skip the green beer--too many goofballs out there getting nuts, I'm afraid.

Corned beef is primal, right????

Comment

Um, Kilts aren't Irish, they're Scottish. LOL

Comment

It is absolutely primal. I just leave out the potatoes.

Comment

celebrating down in florida for spring break! Gonna drink myself some all natural pina coladas made from coconut milk! It's gonna be fun.

Comment

You know I've often wondered about the corned beef and cabbage thing. I've lived in Northern Ireland all my life and nobody eats it here. Why do Americans associate it with Ireland or is it (like the potato thing) something that we eat hundreds of years ago?

Comment

probably the same reason that americans associate australia with crocodile dundee. although to be honest those movies arent far off, lol!! (paul hogan is australian and pretty much loved there). oh i got a better one then:

same reason people think the outback steakhouse is even remotely similar to australian food! wtf is an bloomin onion?!! i mean seriously who deepfries onions anywhere except america.

Comment

hahahah shastagirl...we do a lot of things here that the rest of the world doesn't understand...

I'm wearing my new green sweater so as not to get pinched

StoneAgeQueen, what do people do in Ireland to celebrate???

You are what you eat,
                  and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Lol!

Whilst we're on this topic I'd like to dispel some myths about Ireland:

We do not all have red hair (only 8% of us do, which came from the Vikings). Most of us are brunettes.

We are not all pale. It's rare to see a pale person in Summer over here. (All Europeans are of heavily mixed descent, for example Ireland and Britain have a huge French Huguenot heritage.

We do not drink more than other countries. (In my own experiences Americans drink way more than we do.)

We do not hate the English.

We eat a varied diet with lots of other european influences. We don't eat potatoes more than any other country.

We do not like to fight more than anyone else. (This is probably the most offensive).

We are not a poor country and do not live in cottages. We actually have cities here.

Live here is not the same as what it was hundreds of years ago.

We do not wear kilts or play bagpipes (Scottish).

I'm sorry if this post annoys anyone, but I'm tired of reading nonsense about my country written by Americans. If you want to be proud of your heritage go and read some books on Ireland or written by one of the many brilliant authors and poets our country has given birth to.

That is all, thanks

Comment

Hannah- a lot of people will have a few drinks to celebrate, but many people (like me) just treat it as another normal day. It's a bigger deal in the U.S.

Comment

@StoneAgeQueen - No disrespect intended, I'm just wearing my kilt because it's warm and I'm tired of wearing jeans, plus it's the only damn thing I have that's got even a hint of green lol.

What's the weather like over there in summer? Thinking about taking a month off after graduating college to travel either Ireland or Finland on foot.

Comment

Hi Tiger

The weather in the summer over here is warm but can be quite rainy. We generally get pretty hot weather too but it's unpredictable. Finland would be awesome to visit, I've always wanted to go there.

Comment

^^Understand. It's quite ironic that St. Patrick's day is such a big deal here (my city has one of the largest festivals in the country - South Carolina), yet in Ireland it's just a day. I don't really get the whole Irish pride thing here. Somebody's grea great great great uncle-grandfather-person came over from Ireland 250 years ago = they are Irish? No. You're American. When people ask me what I am, I say American. When they ask my "heritage", I say American. When they asked where my family came from, I again say America.

On Finland: I went there in late November while studying abroad in RUssia. Was only in Helsinki. It's really nice but REALLY expensive. Paid $8 for a beer. I got to eat Reindeer though!

And if you do go to Helsinki, DO NOT GO TO THE ICE BAR. It's just a small-walk-in cooler with a small bar that they charge like 15 euros for. When we walked in we were all like LOL WAT?

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Comment

@StoneAgeQueen,

Awesome, I have red hair and I'm Swedish, so it's good to know someone else concurs with my Irish red hair theory.

I believe the whole corned beef thing was an Irish-American immigrant thing.

http://www.europeancuisines.com/Why-We-Have-No-Corned-Beef-Recipes

@shastagirl,

My wife's Australian and oh man has she had enough with the croc dundee jokes.

Like anything in America, we take one aspect of another culture and play it to death.

Back to the topic at hand... I plan to get a good workout in after work, and if I'm keen, maybe a glass of Jameson's.

Comment

Working...
                              X