Vegetarian and Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetarian and Primal?

I'm a Vegetarian and am interested in going Primal. Can it be done and if so, how?

Are you strict vegetarian or ovo-lacto (pescetarian?)?

Comment

I don't eat any meat/fish and or foods that contain them but I do eat all dairy products.

Comment

I think you could, as long as you had eggs and dairy in your diet. It would be difficult, as you'd really have to keep an eye on your protein and fat consumption, but doable. I think it'd get repetitive quickly though, given your limited choices for protein.

Comment

I don't think it's optimal, but it can be done. You'll be eating a lot of eggs, though.

Are you vegetarian for ethical reasons?
          Durp.

Comment

I'm Vegetarian because I don't like the idea of all the additives in meat/fish. I can't afford to go completely organic/free range so to just stop eating animals seemed like the most sensible option. In addition to dairy produce I also eat beans, nuts and legumes for protein.

What is the recommended protein requirement for an adult female weighing 210 lbs?

Comment

Well, beans (legumes) are out with primal, and nuts are something to be eaten more sparingly. In terms of affording meat - look for someone local to you. They may not be labeled certified organic (there's a lot of hoops to jump through), but their meat may be quite healthy. Plus, you can sometimes find cheaper prices.

Comment

Originally posted by mjw812 View Post
                I'm Vegetarian because I don't like the idea of all the additives in meat/fish. I can't afford to go completely organic/free range so to just stop eating animals seemed like the most sensible option. In addition to dairy produce I also eat beans, nuts and legumes for protein.

What is the recommended protein requirement for an adult female weighing 210 lbs?
                Your protein intake in grams should be about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass at the weight you want. Take your goal weight (150lbs, for example), subtract about 20% (average healthy female body fat percentage) and you come up with about 130 pounds. That's about 130 grams of protein per day, averaged over a week or so.

A lot of us have found that our grocery bills have gone down from primal. Yes, I buy more expensive foods, but I eat out less and don't need as much to be satisfied. I used to eat until I was full, but now I can cut myself off without any trouble.

To avoid the additives, I'd say start with small oily fishes. Those aren't farmed (that I know of) and they are low enough on the food chain that their levels of mercury and such are very low.

As lexie mentioned, go out and find a local farmer. Even if they aren't certified, they may still follow organic principles. You can ask, and check things out. It's a good way to get fresh whole milk as well.

Finally, Amish chicken, if it's available in your area. These people don't even use oil products to move around or plow their fields. Their chicken is delicious, and I don't even really like chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                  Finally, Amish chicken, if it's available in your area. These people don't even use oil products to move around or plow their fields. Their chicken is delicious, and I don't even really like chicken.
                  I am SO jealous! We don't exactly have a huge Amish population here in Vegas...
                  Durp.

Comment

Try the search function on the forum. The topic has come up once a month for the past 2 years. For me, the answer is flat out NO, but whatever gets you off processed crap and eating real food is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Short answer - yes you can. Long answer.

Mark's son is a life long vegetarian.

I eat beans and nuts, and I am doing great.

I, personally, am not a vegetarian.
                      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I think you could almost do it but you would have to use supplements like B12 and probably some kind of protein shake. You would be better off adding some sort of animal protein like fish. Sardines, herring, and mackerel are good choices and wild caught fish from remote less polluted waters would be beneficial as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mjw812 View Post

I'm not sure I follow your logic. If you can't afford perfect meat, you presumably can't afford perfect dairy, legumes and nuts. I'd wager you are taking in st least as many toxins this way, if not more, plus losing out on the massive benefits of meat.

Yes, you can be primal and vegetarian. I just don't know why anyone would.
                          Lifting Journal

Comment

to the OP, if you're looking to lose weight, concern yourself with the protein requirements of the "smaller you" rather than the present you, make sense? Also, you're definitely over-worrying with the "tainted" meat, I've been eating it all my life, even after two years primal because grass fed is too expensive. My health and body composition have both improved despite this. I don't care to get "the truth" out of you, but if truly the only reason why you don't eat meat is because of 'additives' then you really shouldn't worry so much about them. You're going to have much better chances at weight loss by eating meat and vegetables than by just vegetables.
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                            X