No announcement yet.

Newbie here with very basic question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here with very basic question...

I hope I don't annoy anyone here with this question, but I am just starting a new life after a long illness and I am very excited to start Primal living...and it is going to take some time for me to digest all the information and I was hoping to get an answer to a very basic 101 question...caloric intake.

If I burn between 2800-3400 a day, could someone please outline what my maintenance, refeed etc...days should be? I would appreciate so very much. I don't want to have the wrong numbers from the start!

Thank you...you all are so full of knowledge and expertise...I am looking forward to all of it!

i won't outline anything for you

primal isn't about counting calories, it's about doing the least work possible in both diet and fitness

so forget the numbers and get in touch with your Raw Balls Nature (RBN)

Comment

If I am trying to restore caloric homeostatis though, I thought I needed a number? I am sorry to be a pest, but I am confused.

Comment

that's crap, man.

you're not a pest, i'm here to help people.

look i don't know about all those big words, i'm just a dumb peasant, but what you need to do is forget everything you know and really understand that this is very simple. it's so simple that you will feel you are stupid for thinking it's so simple.

Comment

What I love about primal: no calorie counting. I learned to eat to satiety and body composition still improved. And, eating to satiety is different amounts on different days depending on how active (or not) I've been. IF you want to get into calorie counting, I think Mark does have a little bit in the book about it....towards the end maybe? It's been a while since I've read it.
          Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

How long have you been eating Primal?

If it's only been a few months or less, I wouldn't worry about the extras like refeeds and stuff. Just go with the basics, learn how your body reacts to different foods and let it heal before you try anything different.

I know you think we're nuts saying this, but we're serious - don't worry about the calories. Track the foods you're eating on something like FitDay or Livestrong without worrying about calories, and if you're not happy with the results 2 months down the road then fine. Look and see if you're eating some outrageous amount. But to be honest, you're more likely to find a problem with the fat/protein/carb ratio than with the number of calories.
            Durp.

Comment

Eat a little. Eat a little more. And a little more. When you're satisfied/full, stop.

Repeat.
              My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
              Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Comment

you want to know the secret to paleo?

if you're hungry, eat. if you're not, don't.

Comment

Sorry all...I am recovering from an ED and it is all very new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by justkeepswimming View Post
                    REcovering from an ED is a different animal. Start with aiming for 2800. Don't get wrapped up in the numbers, if you're shy or over, it's not the end of the world. You just want an average in that range. Eventually (depending on how long the ED had you in it's grips), you'll start being able to rely on "eat when you're hungry, don't if you're not." Just don't go obsessive over it (counterproductive and stress inducing, not worth it) and you'll eventually get there.
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

^^ and make sure you are eating the right stuff, full fat, good protein and lots of veg.
                      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

you need to read about mal. she is on this site. here is a link to her blog

Zeroing in on Recovery

View Profile: MalPaz - Mark's Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                          REcovering from an ED is a different animal. Start with aiming for 2800. Don't get wrapped up in the numbers, if you're shy or over, it's not the end of the world. You just want an average in that range. Eventually (depending on how long the ED had you in it's grips), you'll start being able to rely on "eat when you're hungry, don't if you're not." Just don't go obsessive over it (counterproductive and stress inducing, not worth it) and you'll eventually get there.
                          Thank you for your input. My problem is, after medical recovery, I do not recognize hunger as it was a 3 year battle with the disease and my body does not trust "me" yet...which is why I asked for a caloric number although I know it is not the Primal way, because the nutritionist that guided me to the Primal way suggested I get myself to a normal number for my burn...and at the time he would not give me a number as he wanted me to figure it out on my own without triggering me. I know it all sounds absurd...I cannot believe I allowed myself to get to that point...but I really want to find a way to be healthy and happy without counting calories and endless aerobic activity...and I am ready to do that now.

So I guess to reach a point where my hormones respond again normally to eating I will stick to around 2800 or so?

Thank you all again for your support and input...it is very much appreciated needed!

Comment

Originally posted by justkeepswimming View Post
                            ED is bullshit, snap out of it man

Comment

Dado, if I ever dump The Boyfriend, remind me not to date you.

Justkeepswimming - yeah, if you have a history of eating disorders, then "feeling satisfied" probably won't work for a while. Calorie intake is going to vary from person to person and even day to day, but I think 2800 calories sounds pretty reasonable.
                              Durp.

Comment

Working...
                              X