still no weight loss, pls read

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still no weight loss, pls read

Been doing the primal for about one month and I have not lost a pound. I feel a million times better than I did before. I don't crave anything, anything at all. I can pass up chocolate without batting my eye, I don't even feel like doing holiday baking and it's not b/c I'm afraid to cheat and eat some. I just don't want my family to eat that stuff either. My mood is better, I don't even have PMS anymore. I sleep so much better as well but I really want to lose weight. I have been big my whole life. I am 5'4" and 220 lbs. I have a huge middle on me, no backside to speak of...lol. I just want to wear normal clothes. I want to be around 150 or less. I know that still puts me as overweight but I would feel better than I do now. I'm a medic as well and I have been working real hard to prepare meals ahead and sometimes I have to eat a cold steak and room temp green beans but I do it and even though it doesn't taste the best I am full and satisfied after. I am just so discouraged to keep trying but I really don't know how I would eat if I didn't eat this way. I'll never go back to breads, pasta's and baked goods again. I don't want to feel that way again. what else can I do to see some pounds go away?

I also am new to the primal lifestyle and I am loving it and feeling satisfied. My suggestion would be to track how many calories you are taking in. Try cutting out 100 calories a day for the next week and see what that does for you. Are you following the Primal Fitness routine? Don't give up. The fact that you have been able to stick to it for a month and you are feeling satisfied is wonderful. Good luck.

Comment

Exercise! You don't have to knock yourself out. Just start with some walking. Have you checked out the PB Fitness ebook?

I have a big salad every day at lunch w/boiled egg, bacon, and cheese on top. I don't refrigerate it (it sits for 5 hours in my desk drawer), and I don't have to reheat anything. Very convenient.

Don't get discouraged. This time of year, it's an accomplishment to not gain anything. :-)
      cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
      2/20/11: 210
      9/19/11: 185.5
      goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Comment

I would suggest taking photos of yourself.
        Then take another set a month later and repeat.
        There may not always be a big change in body weight but with the exercise your shape will change. Patience and enjoy how good you are feeling.

PS try tracking your food for a bit and make sure you are under 100 carbs a day.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

everybody is different and it is typically harder for women to lose but the thing is if you arent losing its still likely due to something you are eating (or possibly not eating).

id say really concentrate of keeping tabs of what you are eating, i bet there is something there that is hurting you. for me it was the handful a day of almonds i was eating. totally stalled my weight loss. for other people its dairy. also figure out how much fat and protein you are eating, as too little of each of those has an effect on weight loss, especially in the beginning
          Primal Chaos
          37yo 6'5"
          6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
          current 338lbs 49" waist
          goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Nuts and dairy will pack the weight on because it's a mixture of fat and carbs.
            Nuts are also imcomplete proteins and will increase appetite overall. Dairy has growth factors that will stimulate to grow not to lose...that also counts for the fat.
            How about a Leptin reset? Intermittened Fasting? Did you cut out vegetable oils completely?

I do not recommend calorie counting as someone suggested above, that is a bad start into primal. It is something you're eating daily that is stalling your weight loss.

Comment

I didn't lose any weight the first 4-5 weeks.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

hey girl, I also am a paramedic. I understand the food dilemma. I have friends that are also doing the Primal lifestyle and they bring veggies for snacks in the unit and bring sandwiches made with sliced meats and lettuce with sliced cucumbers using the lettuce as the "bread". Also keep a sandwich bag of almonds handy. Good luck.

Comment

It can be helpful to post what you eat on a typical day, too. Sometimes people can be eating something that doesn't seem significant but really is.
                  Durp.

Comment

At your height/weight I'd suggest the Leptin-reset, or applying elements of the reset. Basically a big brekkie and no snacking in between meals. Watch the fruits and nuts too.

Comment

Another thing that affects weight loss is sleep; how is your sleep?

Comment

The first thing I tell people who are primal but not losing weight is to look at dietary fat. I think the reason CW is so off on it's recommendations is the paradigm it uses towards diet. IMO, the proper paradigm is:

1)Feed your body what it needs first. Your body doesn't need carbohydrate because it can make carbohydrate. Your body cannot make essential fats and amino acids so start there. Eat healthy animals, nuts, seeds, fish, etc. I wouldn't worry about nuts too much, people who need to worry about nuts are the ones going from 10-5% bodyfat, that's not you. You have 50+ trillion cells, I now they are uber small, but if you were to line them up next to one another they would circle the planet 4.5 times. Each cell is surrounded by a membrane that is made from fat. That is a significant amount of fat. Also, your brain is 60% fat, of which 50% is DHA, an Omega-3 fatty acid. Your nerves are myelinated with...you guessed it fat. Unhealthy cells drive hunger and stress, it sucks to think of it this way, but you are no more than a collection of cells. 65g of fat is the bare minimum people should get IMO.

2)Carbohydrate consumption is dictated by activity level. Period. The carbs you consume should come primarily from non-starchy vegetables. Why? Because they have vitamins, minerals, polyphenols, and other things your body needs to function properly. Notice that word "needs" again.

3)Keep an eye on stress. People talk about not being able to lose weight and storage mode. There is no storage mode, there is stress mode and cool mode. Unless you are in cool mode you will have a hell of a time losing weight.

That's basically it. Exercise at an appropriate intensity, get good sleep, and manage stress through appropriate mechanisms (Meditation, yoga, laughing, having fun). You should also have a comprehensive flexibility program. Tension in the fascia relays information to the brain that stress isn't over. Break that tension and you help break the stress. Foam roll and stretch 3 days a week, google it, there is tons of info and videos on both.

Comment

It can be helpful to post what you eat on a typical day, too. Sometimes people can be eating something that doesn't seem significant but really is.
                          __________________________________________________ _____
                          Ashy Bines Clean Eating Diet Plan

Ashy Bines

Ashy

Comment

Originally posted by Issabeau View Post
                            Nuts and dairy will pack the weight on because it's a mixture of fat and carbs.
                            Nuts are also imcomplete proteins and will increase appetite overall. Dairy has growth factors that will stimulate to grow not to lose...that also counts for the fat.
                            How about a Leptin reset? Intermittened Fasting? Did you cut out vegetable oils completely?

I do not recommend calorie counting as someone suggested above, that is a bad start into primal. It is something you're eating daily that is stalling your weight loss.
                            I agree with this. Also you might want to do some reading on fats, they have a great effect on weight loss especially losing body fat and body composition. Eat Fat, Lose Fat is pretty good though the book says to eat a ton of coconut and allows grains- it's Weston A. Price which is primal esque. That might help.
                            Coconut oil doesn't work for everyone but there's good old butter which might help you a lot.
                            EAT FAT LOSE FAT

Comment

Well I also agree with you people regarding this . I would also think the weight loss pills would not work would not be effective because these also have side effects on body as well . Moreover, I wouldn't worry about nuts too much, people who need to worry about nuts are the ones going from 10-5% body fat . Furthermore,comprehensive flexibility program.would also be helpful .

Comment

Working...
                              X