Seniors..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seniors..

Is anyone just starting and in their 60?

Hi Dee -- more or less starting -- I have the diet down pretty well, but exercise??? Not so much.

I'll be 61 at the end of this year, and I'll be happy to be part of a mutual support group with you.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Comment

I'm only 43 but 2 months ago, took my Mom and Dad Primal/Paleo, ages 64 + 65. They have respectively lost 14 and 18 pounds and feel amazing. Were you looking for support or did you have questions? I'd be happy to help if I can.
      www.ohcrappottytraining.com
      This isn't what I wanted to be when I grew up; a potty trainer.
      I wanted to be a pirate. Well. You know how that goes.

Comment

I’m 67, went Paleo on 10/12, then Primal 10/31. I lost 6 pounds on Paleo and 5 lbs so far on Primal.

Comment

Yes, I've just turned 66 and starting paleo. I'd be happy to be part of a group discussion.

Comment

It would be nice to have a support group with, shall I say, the more mature members. I belonged to other site forums but found that I don’t have a lot in common with a lot of the younger set, since they don’t have the problems that I have cultivated over the years. If you are interested, I posted my story on page 276 of the Obligatory Forum Introduce yourself thread.

Comment

Tomorrow is my start day.....I'm 68 and from 2009 through 2010, I did a low-carb program with my ND. I lost 72# the first year and only 15 the second year and then plateaued. Due to a number of stressors, I stopped seeing the ND weekly (partly the money) and over the last 10 months have gained back 35#. This seems to be the best program for me to obtain my goal of a "normal" weight for me: I am 5'1 and have struggled for years with a lot of extra weight and hypothyroid. Otherwise, I am healthier than most of my friends that are my age. But I need a support group. Looks like I have found it! : )

Comment

I am 68 and have been doing something like Primal for a year and a half. I am probably closest to Archevore but i get a lot from MDA. I'm doing great.
                Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I am 60 years old and have been a member since May, 2011. I have lost about 20 lbs (can only tell by clothing) and have experimented with paleo/ primal foods. I feel best w/o nuts, so eat meat and veggies with some dairy. I have a good source of organic, raw dairy so I make yogurt. Actually, I am lucky in that a good friend has an 'organic everything' farm close by so my family can have meat, eggs, milk, etc. from him and our own organic veggies and berries.
                  I check out MDA and paleohacks most days and REALLY appreciate connecting with other vantage aged folks like here!!!!
                  Last edited by Aili; 11-08-2011, 07:41 AM.

Comment

I am 61 and just started on Friday, 11-4-11. I would love to have a support group.. let me know.
                    Lisa

Comment

Are any other “vintage” (I like that term) Primals on a doctor ordered restricted diet? I had some ticker issues in July so my cardiologist (didn’t have one of those before) put me on a low calorie, low sodium and low fat diet. I had already been eating healthy, no processed foods, grains or bad fats and very limited dairy. When I tried to go low fat, I couldn’t get enough calories in so I tried eating a lot of turkey and chicken, but found there was too much sodium in that. I ate too much fruit to try to get my calories in, but that didn’t help my Type 2 diabetes. I decided to prioritize my nutritional needs as: #1 - get my diabetes under control, #2 - stay low sodium to control my Atrial Fibrillation, #3 – stay under 1800 calories, #4 – worry about the fats when I get the others under control. I went Paleo mid October but either didn’t completely understand it or read closely enough (The Paleo Diet and Palio Diet Solution), but my blood sugar was still higher than I wanted it. I read the Primal Blueprint and went Primal at the end of October, limiting my carbs to less than 100g per day, started eating more lean red meat and less chicken, and fat be damned. I now have no problem hitting my calories, staying low sodium (well under my 2000mg), and in the week that I have been Primal, my blood sugar was over 130 only once (at 132 two hours after dinner) and that was after a restaurant dinner of Veal Marsala and half a slice of cheese cake. I’ll see what week two brings.
                      Last edited by Grizzz; 11-08-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I was on a ND ordered low-carb program for two years. However, I hit a plateau that lasted a year and I then gave up....wasn't going anywhere and was costing me for the Dr visits each week. So, I have gained back 35 of those 85# I had lost and now, here I am. I know I can live this way....but the other program was also low fat and that may have been why I couldn't lose any more....I had not really changed from a sugar burner to a fat burner....anyway, I am giving it a try.

BTW, Grizz, eating pure Sea Salt (nothing added and nothing taken away kind of salt) does not mess up a person's heart. It's the table salt with its added sugar and being stripped of the 80 or so minerals that sea salt contains, that does the damage. You might want to do some research on it....I don't ever "just trust" even my doctor to know what is best, always. I research everything.
                        Last edited by healthygrg; 11-08-2011, 07:32 PM. Reason: wanted to add another sentence.

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group53.html
                          activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Hi Sihana,

My first thought is that your grandmother should be able to chew with false teeth, and if that is the problem, she needs to have them looked at. My mom had false teeth for as long as I can remember, and she never had any problem chewing any type of food. If for some other reason she cannot chew, I would suggest a good blender or food processor to grind it up before she eats it? I am not sure, just started this Primal thing last Friday, am loving it, dropped a few pounds already, and I am 61, but I don't have false teeth. Maybe someone else can help also. Those are just my suggestions. Hope you have a great day and get your grandmother as primal as you can, because she will only feel better.

Lisa

Comment

Healthygrg,

Sea and Kosher salt is all that I used, and I use to use a LOT. My own observation, and I don’t know is there is science that supports it, is that my intake of a lot of sodium sets off my Atrial Fibrillation, and keeping it low doesn’t set me off. I no longer add salt to my cooking or meals, and don’t really miss it.

I enjoy researching, but it wasn’t until my AF that I really started researching my health problems, especially since my cardiologist wanted to put me on Coumadin, a blood thinner. Everything I have read about it is, for me, negative. You have to really control your vitamin K veggies or you can have real problems. Dark green veggies are a big part of my healthy life style now, and I ain’t about to give them up or be ruled by tight controls on them. So I’ll continue with my daily aspirin to thin the blood. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I just read that Statins, especially the one that I take, can cause sleep and cognitive problems, as well as muscle atrophy. I’ve been on statins for several years, and have sleep problems, just recently started to forget words that I am trying to say, and have noticed that I am definitely weaker that a few years ago. I refuse to chalk this up to “old age” and will be going back to my doctor to discuss getting off the statins as well as my diabetes meds.

Sihana, still have my teeth so, sorry, can’t help you there. However, she can gut out grains (and her cerial) to be more in line with Paleo/Primal.

Comment

Working...
                              X