Husband and wife hope to overcome joint pain and infertility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband and wife hope to overcome joint pain and infertility

My husband and I started primal yesterday. We've tried a couple of times before, but did not last past a few weeks. We did, however, see results. I'm a little conflicted on the research--I've been reading the Blue Zones book and diets are very different from this. We would both like to lose weight, but more importantly have health issues to conquer. Now 35, I've been trying to get pregnant for almost 2.5 years. (Apparently nothing is wrong with either of us.) I've read some promising stories and am keeping my fingers crossed. At 37, my husband's joints are really hurting him now and has a rheumatologist appt. next month. Preliminary blood tests over the summer showed nothing wrong.
    As a biology teacher, I find the science behind this lifestyle very interesting. Right now I'm teaching biochemistry and had my kids compare a recent article showing how a study on rats showed diets high in protein (compared to typical American diet) showed a decreased risk for breast cancer. Another article on the same page showed our government's new "food plate" recomended diet. There is certainly a discrepency!
    I'd like to hear encouraging stories from people who have overcome infertility or joint problems by following this diet and way of life!
    Thanks,
    Cathy

I am new to this too..But I wish you luck.This is my 2nd attempt at primal life.I tried it last December, and get derailed by the holidays.I will say that while on it I never felt better and had wonderful results.I am now day 11 and down 7lbs and feel phenomenal.I am sleeping better with no meds( was ambien dependent),more energy, my skin is clearing up ( gotta love adult acne).I wish I would have done this years ago.I only had one child since I had so many health issues getting pregnant and then a rough pregnancy.I can't help but wonder what would have happened had I HAD this info then.I am still on nexium for my reflux, and hoping in the months to come that I can stop.I already stopped taking cholesterol meds with my Drs blessing to try primal life.

Comment

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your early successes. We've tried primal a couple of times before and been successful, but only for a short time. We have to figure out why. Let's keep in touch--I'm in PA, too

Comment

Welcome! If standard primal eating doesn't help with your joint problems you may want to add a lectin elimination trial on to your primal diet to see if a particular group of foods is causing you trouble. I had amazing results doing this for arthritis and so have several others on this forum.

THE LECTIN STORY
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Why are his joints so bad at 37? High impact sports? Has he ever taken quinolone antibiotics?

Comment

Originally posted by cathb View Post
            I'd like to hear encouraging stories from people who have overcome infertility or joint problems by following this diet and way of life!
            Thanks,
            Cathy
            I have bone on bone OA of left knee and moderate OA of right hand. Prior to going low carb/primal I was taking Rx anti-inflammatories (celebrex) and Rx pain meds. After a few weeks of no grains my pain began to subside. It is now only present if I step wrong or indulge in grains. I am off all Rx meds associated with OA.

I have also improve glucose control (diabetes run rampant in my family) lost 50+ lbs and maintained that loss for almost 2 years.

Comment

I never heard of lectins, though I've heard about insensitivities to those groups of foods. What about cashews? I thought they were a trigger bunched in that group??? I read over the link and it seems a bit complex, but certainly doable if this doesn't work.
              Chris played tennis when he was in school and lifted weights, at times very intensely. His knees have always cracked and bothered him at times, but over the past few months it's been most of his joints that hurt--even fingers and ankles. Of course you can get overwhelmed by what you find online and early tests (summer) for RA, Lyme's, and lupus came back fine. Alleve clears it up temporarily, but he doesn't want to take meds for any length of time.
              It's great to know that in a short amount of time some have seen such great results! Marcadav--congrats on losing--and sustaining--those 50 pounds!

Comment

cathb, if you haven't yet given up grains, do that now.

I have little or no joint pain now. It is truly amazing how fast grain-free changes the inflammation in the joints.

Comment

I was reading some of Dr. Kruse's works and ran across this:

Leptin resistance always pre-dates the development of osteoporosis. Leptin also controls the ability of women to get pregnant. That is called fecundity. If a women is leptin resistant she will have a lot of difficulty getting pregnant. We see this in PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), in anorexia, or over training. Having a baby requires a lot of energy for growth. Leptin is the key for that process to occur smoothly.
                  Thought of you. Maybe something to investigate. There's an incredibly long (and resourceful thread here on leptin resistance/leptin reset).

Comment

Thanks for this info. Primal at times seems like the answer to everything and at others very claustrophobic and limiting. I'm wondering if I should ease into with allowing rice, etc. in the beginning.
                    I spoke with a health/phys ed teacher today (who actually looks and acts the part) and we talked about the movie Food Inc. She said she won't shop at a supermarket for meat or eggs anymore and uses a local butcher. I told her about this website and explained the basic premise. She said she's heard about problems with gluten, but is wary to eliminate it--she's heard that sometimes after eliminating it and bringing it back causes an otherwise dormant insensitivity to surface. I'm wondering if this is what happened with my husband. His joints seemed to get noticeable worse in the spring/summer, after we had dabbled in primal a couple of times. Has anyone ever heard of this occurring? It's scary! I will be researching a bit this weekend. Thanks for all of your comments.

Comment

Read a bit on Dr. Kruse's site--lots of parallels. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cathb View Post
                        I told her about this website and explained the basic premise. She said she's heard about problems with gluten, but is wary to eliminate it--she's heard that sometimes after eliminating it and bringing it back causes an otherwise dormant insensitivity to surface. I'm wondering if this is what happened with my husband. His joints seemed to get noticeable worse in the spring/summer, after we had dabbled in primal a couple of times. Has anyone ever heard of this occurring? It's scary! I will be researching a bit this weekend. Thanks for all of your comments.
                        This is something Dr. William Davis (who wrote Wheat Belly and Track Your Plaque) has spoken about a little, but not as a 'dormant insensitivity' surfacing. If you avoid gluten and symptoms subside, adding it back may make them come back with a vengeance. It's not that something dormant has awakened, it's that it was there all along, but your body's latent conditioning to it bounced back quicker.

Comment

I wan unconscious about it for a long while and I don't think so that it was fair.
                          But for now, I got a better idea and feeling relax. Thanks for sharing.
                          regards

Comment

Hey there! I just wanted to chime in and let you know that ALL my joint pain is gone! I had arthritis in my hips (due to working in the circus most of my life) and horrible bunions (due to catching my body weight with my feet on a trapeze). Within weeks of Primal, my pain disappeared. And my bunions got noticeably smaller and no longer hurt! I could go on and on about the benefits of Primal but you asked about joint pain. Peggy, The Primal Parent healed infertility with Primal...you should check out her awesome blog. I've helped a lot of my friends and family transition to Primal. I think it's easiest when you mainly focus on No Grains at first. It gets very overwhelming when you start trying to tweak everything at once. Once your fog clears from the grains, it's more apparent what needs to be tweaked. I also bought quite a few Primal cookbooks...mostly to get uber comfortable in the kitchen and to learn about cooking with spices and fresh herbs. As you get more comfortable in the kitchen you can start to wing it. Anywhoo...great luck to you!!! Primal has changed everything about my life. I have my 64 + 65 year old Mom and Dad Primal now, as well as my 5 year old son...we are all looking and feeling AMAZING. Blessings! Jamie
                            www.ohcrappottytraining.com
                            This isn't what I wanted to be when I grew up; a potty trainer.
                            I wanted to be a pirate. Well. You know how that goes.

Comment

cathb,

You and your DH need to get on 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 Oli based Geltabs: Here is why: Low Vitamin D3 levels:
                              •Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
                              •Cancer of all types
                              •Heart disease (the number killer of men and women)
                              •High blood pressure development
                              •Obesity from all causes
                              •Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis
                              •Mental illness of all types
                              •Chronic pain centrally or peripherally mediated.
                              More here:
                              Vitamin D optimization thoughts | Jack Kruse

World Wide Epidemic: "Abnormal levels of vitamin D are associated with a whole spectrum of diseases, including cancer, osteoporosis, and diabetes, as well as cardiovascular and autoimmune disorders [Arthritus]."
                              Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world

More on Vitamin D3 below the line,
                              Grizz

Comment

Working...
                              X