iowa girl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iowa girl

Hi there. New to primal (about 5 days in) and enjoying it!

About a month ago I started getting really bad acid reflux, indigestion, and bloating and it felt like my stomach was up in my throat 24 hrs a day. I was completely miserable - but didn't want to go to the doc and get a prescription. I knew I wanted to take care of it myself. I started to wonder if I had a gluten intolerance? - I had stopped most dairy about 5 years ago after a similar bout. With a little research (it's my job ) I landed here on MDA on monday 9/19. That day, I had had my regular breakfast of oatmeal and acid reflux. Ugh - I felt too icky to eat much more than 1/2 a salad for lunch, but the kicker is this: after reading about Primal that day, for dinner I only had the chicken breast and broccoli and let the boys eat the fettuccine (homemade, it was torture not to eat it!) by 10pm, the acid reflux was completely gone, my throat no longer ached and I was sure I was going to get a good night's sleep. I have not had more than 50g of carbs a day since then.

So - since then eating pretty primal, meat and veggies, eggs and a little cheese. And I feel amazing.
    The only times I've had a little acid reflux is after a diet coke two days ago.

Is it too early to experiment with carbs? I realize i'm probably pretty low carb yet so last night with my salmon and greens I had a few of the roasted potatos - probably only 1/2 a medium/small potato as an experiment to see what would happen. I feel a little refluxy today, but that could be the black coffee too.

me: 40 yo, foody, craft beer afficianado, healthy weight and very active (love to run fast and lift heavy things! lol) looking for a way to be healthier and calm down the digestion issues I've had recently.

I'm a research scientist and constantly experimenting on myself so this should definitely be enlightening as I find the best way to eat for my body!

b
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Welcome aboard! I would wait a little while yet to experiment, but the potato probably won't hurt too much. I do eat potatoes as I do a slightly varied take on primal. BTW, if you're in Iowa - I am jealous as I went to school at ISU and wish I still lived in Iowa...
    sigpic My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Comment

jenh - I''m a cyclone too! lol I still live in Ames - it's such a beautiful town, I couldn't leave! The winters can be a little harsh at times and the summers a little humid...
      My experimentation will be ultra slow - i feel waaaay to fantastic now to mess it up!
      Oh, and I took this week off of exercise and plan to put it back in this weekend - wondering if my workouts will suffer without carbs?
      b
      my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Comment

Well you are likely still going through carb flu, so it may be difficult to determine whether you'll need more carbs due to low energy or if it'll just be the carb flu...which we all do feel... But it is worth it. At my best, I swear I felt like I could do a rapid walk of a 5k...and thats pretty drastic for me considering I'm a size 20-22W.

Yes, Ames is sooo wonderful! Part of the reason I chose ISU was because of it's beauty and the folks in that town are extremely nice; as is the majority of Iowans. I'm so proud of the football team so far this year. Not to mention the fact that two years ago they beat my hometown, Nebraska Cornhuskers... That was an incredible day for me and I'm sure most Lincolnites (including some I personally know) have forced that day out of their minds because it would be a day of disgrace... But we beat the Hawks...and UCONN...wish they were playing this weekend :-)
        sigpic My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Comment

What a beautiful day it is here in Iowa! Woke up feeling fantastic - been following primal mostly, i had a small diet coke at a hockey game last night and only took a few sips before the acid reflux started coming back. Ick. But i did manage to avoid all the other treats ...nachos, popcorn.. yay me!
          My energy is so high eating this way - no more carb crashes.
          I find it easier and easier to NOT eat pasta and bread and such, since they make me feel so awful.
          can't wait to head outside for a run - it's a gorgeous morning!
          b
          my info:

My journal

Comment

Hey there, Beth! So glad you're having such a great day - and YAY no more reflux! I agree about the day being beautiful.... The leaves are starting to turn here, it's gorgeous today. Just thought I'd check in with you....

JENH - Aw, man, you had to bring up the Hawk/Cyclone disgrace from a couple of weeks ago..... <sigh> I had almost put that out of my mind.... (Yeah, I'm a Hawks fan!) We almost had you guys in that damn game!
            Lady Gecko, a.k.a. Theresa.

Comment

Welcome fellow Iowan! UNI fan here. Go Panthers!!!
              “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by ldygeko View Post
                JENH - Aw, man, you had to bring up the Hawk/Cyclone disgrace from a couple of weeks ago..... <sigh> I had almost put that out of my mind.... (Yeah, I'm a Hawks fan!) We almost had you guys in that damn game!
                Well, my family is in Lincoln, Nebraska so they think it's a bigger disgrace what ISU did to the Huskers in Oct 2009 by beating them *in* Lincoln -1st time I think it was since like 1977. I was STOKED about that! (and that's not a word I would hardly ever use...but I was just soooo proud....) I grew up in Lincoln and know 1st hand what the majority of the residents of Lincoln and the entire state felt. They wanted that day to virtually erase off the history books and hide their heads in the sandpit of shame! I'll root for the Huskers 'cuz that's my hometown, but never if they play each other... The last ISU/Husker game I went to, my family thought I was *INSANE*. I wore my ISU sweatshirt, jacket to cover over it afterwards and a Husker ballcap for "safety" after the game... Mom said she was glad she wasn't going with me since I was dressed like that...I figure I had every right... my alum and hometown... :-) But I have always been unique....so I guess Primal goes along with that...
                sigpic My goal pic...

Comment

mornin'!

I should really start keeping a log of things I've tried that upset my stomach/intestines - an unofficial list of things that I couldn't eat without upset is what led me to primal...

so here it is - unofficially, of course:
                  grains - removed all, haven't put any back in yet
                  sugar - removed all - don't plan on putting any back in, I may use honey occasionally but I think I was also battling a wee candida infection so no sugar and no grains is fine with me
                  diet soda - usually a 3 small (8-10 oz)/ week - stopped completely.
                  *when added back in causes acid reflux. Boo
                  Dairy - mainly out for the last 5-6 years or so - got rid of seasonal allergies and dairy indigestion. I still have some hard cheeses and Greek yogurt.
                  starchy vegetables - removed all originally - I will experiment with potatos (had about 1/2 of a small one - no effects) and maybe corn...love sweet corn.
                  coffee - I still have my black coffee in the morning, but less and less. I don't NEED it any more.

Oh, and I tried chinese last night - beef and broccoli, no rice. It tasted awesome, but a little sweet so I probably broke through the carb barrier
                  aaaaaand a few hours later it had gone right through - I know TMI, but - lesson learned. I can make it myself!

Sooo, I eat: meat, eggs, yogurt, cheese, and lots of vegetables
                  And I haven't felt this good (inside) in years!

Is there a carb reduction euphoria that I might be experiencing?.... it won't go away will it? lol

I had our health screening at work this morning - I'm pretty healthy, though it turns out I could lose a few lbs!
                  BMI is a little high and weight is at top of healthy range.
                  glucose, cholesterol (s) and trig all normal levels

Oh, and I planned ahead and brought scrambled eggs and sausage for my lunch after the health screen - they offered bagels...ick.
                  my info:

My journal

Comment

I wouldn't put back in corn - if you're not doing other grains don't put in corn as it's also a grain. contrary to what green giant veggies tell us :-)

I understand the right through thing...I'd get that sometimes before even knowing what my issues were and I think all the docs thought I was crazy. The Gastro told me to up my whole wheat, take Metamucil/citrucil and more veggies. Damn at 32 (now almost 35) I REFUSED to take fiber supplements - frickin' no way!!!!!!!! Not until I'm 75! And I was already doing whole wheat and veggies? WTH? why? they just went right through...and did he seem concerned when I had blood in my stools? Nope. That gastro can shove it.

I'm guessing the chinese may have had some gluten in the sauce - causing your issue...I've heard soy sauce usually has gluten, which one might not suspect.

And if you keep doing primal - the "euphoria" you speak of will continue. You will want to jump around, dance, and have an active life with a beautiful mate! Whooooot!
                    sigpic My goal pic...

Comment

JENH - LOL on the ISU sweatshirt and the Husker's cap for safety "after" - that is too funny and totally something I would do myself.... you go girl!

BETH - I'm gonna guess and say that Jen's right, the soy had gluten in it. My friend here at work is insanely allergic to gluten - has immediate stomach pain and vomiting if she ingests it - and the only soy sauce she can buy around here I think is the Hyvee brand - I'll have to ask her. All the others have gluten in them....

AFM, I'm planning on roasting a chicken tonight. I've never done a whole chicken before - actually cooked a turkey for the first time last Thanksgiving. I know, I know - I'm 41 and have never cooked a whole chicken? Because CW told us chicken with skin on it is bad bad bad. Not anymore, I'm gonna actually EAT the skin tonight, LOL......

Comment

Jenh and ldygeko - thanks for the soy update - I'll look for gluten free soy sauce @ HyVee / Dahls for making chinese @ home.

Still doing well on Primal - last night was a little tough - worked late, then had to rush to hockey and I didn't get to eat until 8:30 at night and my boys had eaten something else (they aren't primal ) so I was on my own... left over baked chicken, broccoli and greek yogurt with a few berries for dessert. LOVE greek yogurt!

I think one of my biggest problems going forward is going to be meals with the boys (husband and 12yo son) I hope to gradually entice them with primal meals, and continue to only eat the meat and veggies - leaving the pasta and potatos to them... The problem isn't for me making the choice not to eat the pasta and bread...it's what to cook and when to get the time to cook it!

Mac n chz and hot dogs takes a few minutes...oven baked chicken and vegetables takes an hour - I know which one I SHOULD cook, but I HAVE to get food in the 12 year old before he has 1.5 hours of hockey practice and most evenings I only have 30 minutes between work and hockey rink!

It will just take more preparation on my part I suppose, we are at the hockey rink 4 evenings a week for my son, my husband travels 60% of the time and I work outside the home 50 hrs / week...when do I cook?

I just don't want to make non-nutritious meals (quick) for the boys and eat primal myself...usually later. That doesn't feel right. I'll have to check out resources on primal cooking for family.

another beautiful day though - feeling an amazing flow of energy from the inside out!
                        pbj
                        my info:

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by pbj View Post
                          Jenh and ldygeko - thanks for the soy update - I'll look for gluten free soy sauce @ HyVee / Dahls for making chinese @ home.

Still doing well on Primal - last night was a little tough - worked late, then had to rush to hockey and I didn't get to eat until 8:30 at night and my boys had eaten something else (they aren't primal ) so I was on my own... left over baked chicken, broccoli and greek yogurt with a few berries for dessert. LOVE greek yogurt!

I think one of my biggest problems going forward is going to be meals with the boys (husband and 12yo son) I hope to gradually entice them with primal meals, and continue to only eat the meat and veggies - leaving the pasta and potatos to them... The problem isn't for me making the choice not to eat the pasta and bread...it's what to cook and when to get the time to cook it!

Mac n chz and hot dogs takes a few minutes...oven baked chicken and vegetables takes an hour - I know which one I SHOULD cook, but I HAVE to get food in the 12 year old before he has 1.5 hours of hockey practice and most evenings I only have 30 minutes between work and hockey rink!

It will just take more preparation on my part I suppose, we are at the hockey rink 4 evenings a week for my son, my husband travels 60% of the time and I work outside the home 50 hrs / week...when do I cook?

I just don't want to make non-nutritious meals (quick) for the boys and eat primal myself...usually later. That doesn't feel right. I'll have to check out resources on primal cooking for family.

another beautiful day though - feeling an amazing flow of energy from the inside out!
                          pbj
                          Cooking Solution? Choose a day/afternoon to cook for several days/the week in advance and put things in containers for quick re-heating... I too work a lot, and use Saturday and/or Sunday... I get the oven going (even in summer) pop in a ham, roast, and the bacon...that oven is going crazy...while I'm chopping veggies that I use in quick breakfasts, quick dinners, etc... Get out that crockpot! Throw together stuff for chili or....a meat sauce....if you want you could make them some pasta w/ the sauce but I like to just eat meat sauce as is....with some kind of hard grated cheese of course.... If you have access to a second fridge and/or deep freeze you can really stock up some options for meals this way. I"m single w/ a dog, so I don't have quite the same volume to do, but I still do "volume" cook because of how busy I am between work and community volunteering...and walking the socialite beagle of the century.
                          sigpic My goal pic...

Comment

Ditto - I buy those big packs of chicken breasts from Wal-Mart - mostly because they are cheap on Sundays (on sale) and I really can't afford to go grass-fed/pastured right now. Anyway, I do a batch chicken bake on Sundays, and portion those up for an easy warm-up in the microwave. For non primals, you can chop that cooked chicken up and make chicken salad, put it in with pasta, make a casserole, put it in soup, toss it cold into a wrap with lettuce and other good wrap stuff..... The possibilities are endless! Same goes for putting a roast in the crockpot - all kind of ways to stretch that out into several meals. I also keep those steamable veggie packages in the freezer for quick microwave and serve veggies - not as good as fresh, but way cheaper and WAY better than canned....

I personally have class two nights a week, so on the nights I am not home, hubby/daughter have access to easy meals even though I'm not there. Hmmmm, I sometimes have the faint wafting smell of pizza that I know they ordered while I wasn't there, but at least SOME of the time they eat up that healthy stuff in the fridge, LOL.......

Comment

Another beautiful Iowa morning - My favorite season, fall: mornings are crisp and cool, the afternoon sun entices you outside for a walk, and the evenings are cool with the smells of fall (leaves, harvest...that "cold" smell...) that make you want to just stand outside and take in deep cleansing breaths.

Anyway, yesterday I think I had my first experience with not eating enough..eating this way for me seems relatively easy; I've always been more of a 'savory' than a 'sweet' person, so I'm not really missing sugar at all. I wasn't terribly hungry yesterday for breakfast so I had a bit of sausage - not much I'm afraid...but it satisfied me. For lunch it was full fat cottage cheese and some raspberries, snack was a hard boiled egg. Dinner was a pork chop and greens (the boys had pasta as well). Afterwards I felt good ( primal good ) but by 10 I was feeling really tired...not run-down, just tired.

I need to eat more for breakfast I think - this morning was just a few pc of bacon ---not really hungry. Is this normal? should I force myself to eat more? Especially when I have crazy/busy days at work? I feel great right now...

Oh, I put a beef roast in last night while I was cooking dinner so I have a nice hunk of it for lunch today!

aaaaaannnddd not much need for coffee anymore!
                              my info:

My journal

Comment

Working...
                              X