iowa girl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pbj View Post
    Another beautiful Iowa morning - My favorite season, fall: mornings are crisp and cool, the afternoon sun entices you outside for a walk, and the evenings are cool with the smells of fall (leaves, harvest...that "cold" smell...) that make you want to just stand outside and take in deep cleansing breaths.

Anyway, yesterday I think I had my first experience with not eating enough..eating this way for me seems relatively easy; I've always been more of a 'savory' than a 'sweet' person, so I'm not really missing sugar at all. I wasn't terribly hungry yesterday for breakfast so I had a bit of sausage - not much I'm afraid...but it satisfied me. For lunch it was full fat cottage cheese and some raspberries, snack was a hard boiled egg. Dinner was a pork chop and greens (the boys had pasta as well). Afterwards I felt good ( primal good ) but by 10 I was feeling really tired...not run-down, just tired.

I need to eat more for breakfast I think - this morning was just a few pc of bacon ---not really hungry. Is this normal? should I force myself to eat more? Especially when I have crazy/busy days at work? I feel great right now...

Oh, I put a beef roast in last night while I was cooking dinner so I have a nice hunk of it for lunch today!

aaaaaannnddd not much need for coffee anymore!
    Tough call for me to know for sure. However, if you're typically feeling satisfied after what you're eating it should be fine. Overall it does sound like you might need a little more food as I thought lunch was a little light after the light breakfast... There are times where I don't eat a lot at one meal and make up for it at the next... Part of it is experimentation and listening to your body, but if I"m tired that is my trigger that I need food...but at 10 at night it sounds like your body was saying it's dark outside. It's time to get sleep.
    sigpic My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Comment

Hey there - I know what you mean about that "cold" smell - I love the smell of fall! Looking forward to a nice walk with one of my furbabies and enjoy the crisp weather!

As for not eating enough - I'm still reading PB, but isn't one of the main points to eat when you are hungry and if you aren't hungry or get full, stop? Souds like Jenh is right - 10 p.m. your body was just saying it's time for bed..... Now if you said you were exhausted in the middle of the day, I'd think differently.....

AFM, I'm still having some problems sleeping through the nights and so far it really hasn't affected me during the day yet; however it was pretty darn hard to get up this morning. Yesterday was my orientation at school, and I worked both jobs yesterday, so I was up transcribing reports from 4:30 to 6:30, then at day job by 8 til 4:30, at school by 5 til 9. Then a 45-minute commute home. I should have been tired, but really had a hard time and forced myself to go to bed at 11 because I knew I had to get up and transcribe more reports early this morning..... I didn't get up til 5 a.m. and I wasn't near as productive as I had been the morning before!

Oh, I am so excited! A friend gave me a coupon for 10% off Vibram Five Fingers! I went and tried some on today to see which ones I like, might have to start a thread to get some advice on which ones to buy....
      Lady Gecko, a.k.a. Theresa.

Comment

good mornin'!

And it is - a good morning! I haven't had a morning that isn't good since I dropped grains and sugar from my diet...which makes everyone in the whole house happy!

OMG, I just read some of the Wheat Belly Blog - Holy cow, I need to get that book and have my husband read it! He realizes I'M eating this way because grains and pasta and sugar make my GI system go haywire....He doesn't realize that he has been suffering because of the grains and sugars in his diet (bfast cereal, toaster thingies, bread, pasta, soda)with; headaches, lethargy, indigestion after almost every meal, high triglycerides, low HDL, high fasting glucose (borderline)...

There is virtually no reason for me to eat them ever again. Wow, just wow.

skipped dinner last night, had a food free function and no time to eat before. So I just had a big breakfast today - bacon and eggs, mmmm. man do I love bacon! More beef roast today, and some greens, and cottage cheese / almonds for snacks - and sooo much water!

I'm wearing jeans today I wouldn't normally subject ppl to seeing me in, but damn they fit! - what a great bonus! I've lost about 6 lbs in 10 days - but I look like I'm about an inch smaller all over. But what trumps the weight loss and the jeans...is the way I feel. On. Top. Of. The. World!!!

later peeps
        pbj
        my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Comment

Congrats!!! I know the feeling... primal eating can really make one feel as if they could literally jump up and down for joy - and just simply *for joy* and not other reason at all.... 6 pounds is awesome - just think it's not just about the scale but what fat is melting and becoming muscle since muscle weighs more...you're a melting machine! GROK ON!
          sigpic My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Comment

BETH: I'm so excited for you! Your excitement and energy are contagious! I've got a big grin on my face after reading your post today - even though it's crappy and rainy here, LOL.... Grats on such great results! I'm going to have to read up on that wheat belly blog....
            Lady Gecko, a.k.a. Theresa.

Comment

good mornin'!

Another happy primal morning - kinda struggling with lack of hunger because I think I should eat more, but otherwise still feeling fabulous... I'm starting to look at it in a different way though: This isn't about weight for me, it's about GI health. I am 5'8", and weighed in about 158 lbs this morning. I think my 'true weight' or the weight my body wants to be is around 145 or so (I'm what is politely called 'big boned, lol), I've been down to 145ish with high fiber, low fat, weight lifting and chronic cardio exercising...and exhaustion, irritability, GI issues, etc. So...cutting out grains / sugars / etc. and moderate exercise is not only making my insides happier, it seems to be guiding my body to a healthy weight and body fat %. we'll see though - as long as I feel this healthy, I could weigh whatever!
              Football game this weekend - it will make eating primal a little harder...but GO CYCLONES!!!
              happy friday!
              pbj
              my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Comment

I'm guessing the chinese may have had some gluten in the sauce - causing your issue...I've heard soy sauce usually has gluten, which one might not suspect.

Comment

Happy monday!
                  Well, it could be a little happier - I experimented with a little grain-based carbs this weekend - aaaaaand some had some frozen yogurt...bad idea!
                  Acid reflux last night, and bloated and icky this morning. Well, now I know better for sure! I waited to experiment with grains until I was almost 2 weeks in and feeling great, and I'm glad I tested it out. Now I can't wait until I'm back to feeling great! - all the more reason to eat primal, right?
                  It's funny the difference I feel in ways that you wouldn't think had anything to do with what I ate. It's been two weeks since I woke up tired and kinda pissed off like this morning - when eating pretty clean primal I pop out of bed like I'm on springs and sing in the shower...wtf?
                  Why does eating grains and sugars make me pissed off? - I understand the GI distress issues - but the emotional? That connection isn't clear for me!
                  All right, back to primal for me - experimentation is essential for the scientist part of me, but I don't know if the curiosity is worth dealing with the aftermath!
                  later,
                  pbj
                  my info:

My journal

Comment

Go Hawks!!

(From SE Iowa)

Nice to meet you
                    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Comment

Originally posted by pbj View Post
                      Happy monday!
                      Well, it could be a little happier - I experimented with a little grain-based carbs this weekend - aaaaaand some had some frozen yogurt...bad idea!
                      Acid reflux last night, and bloated and icky this morning. Well, now I know better for sure! I waited to experiment with grains until I was almost 2 weeks in and feeling great, and I'm glad I tested it out. Now I can't wait until I'm back to feeling great! - all the more reason to eat primal, right?
                      It's funny the difference I feel in ways that you wouldn't think had anything to do with what I ate. It's been two weeks since I woke up tired and kinda pissed off like this morning - when eating pretty clean primal I pop out of bed like I'm on springs and sing in the shower...wtf?
                      Why does eating grains and sugars make me pissed off? - I understand the GI distress issues - but the emotional? That connection isn't clear for me!
                      All right, back to primal for me - experimentation is essential for the scientist part of me, but I don't know if the curiosity is worth dealing with the aftermath!
                      later,
                      pbj
                      somewhere else I've read that eating non-primal affects anger levels in others. What you're feeling I don't think is odd at all...
                      sigpic My goal pic...

Comment

lol, maybe it isn't odd, but it sure feels that way! yet another reason to eat primal. My scientist self wants to do further investigation to discover if it was normal grain pasta (only a little, 1/2 cup or less) or the sugar in the frozen yogurt (really only had a 1/2 cup - 24g carb) OR a combination of both that caused it.....but maybe I should do it when I have a weekend alone. Serious b$%@h this morning! lol

Just had some fatty ground beef (grass fed) mixed with aged cheddar cheese - aaaand already starting to feel better.

pbj
                        my info:

My journal

Comment

Welcome to MDA! Nice to see more Iowa folks on here.

It's amazing how grains/dairy effect people differently. The best thing is to experiment with foods (one at a time) and do what works best for your body. Also, don't eat if you aren't hungry (I'm usually not hungry for breakfast because I eat a large dinner).
                          Primal Krista
                          The Paleo Lifestyle

Current primal weight: 134lbs (9/9/11)

Comment

Thanks Krista - holy cow! you started where I am now, same height and everything - I don't know if I'll ever get down to your weight!...I'm rather well endowed in the chest area so my happy body weight should be about 9 or 10# (!!) above yours...
                            I read your blog and saw your progress pics - reminded me to take a before....before it's an after!

I'm learning what true 'hunger' feels like - not just a carb crash telling me to eat, and I feel good after I eat as opposed to just feeling more bloated - like I would after a carb crash carb snack.

pbj
                            my info:

My journal

Comment

I should probably head over to the journal thread - this is the meat :-) and greet section...aaaand we've met. lol

Anyway - back on 90% PB, need to remind myself that eating pasta and even a little fake food isn't worth it - my body is just getting over the icky carby bloaty gut, acid reflux, and constipation from my weekend experimentation.

Still trying to convince the husb that it's allright that I'm eating this way without going to the doctor first and getting an okay... It's frustrating - I think he would rather I take medication for acid reflux and digestive issues instead of trying to cut out the foods that are making me sick.

I did offer up a compromise: I just had all my bloodwork done for a health screening right as I started PB - I will go in 6 months from now and do it again to make sure that my healthy numbers aren't adversely affected by changing my diet this way. If they are, I will make an appt. with a dr to get a 'professional opinion'

doing well on eating, well... steak / chix / salmon / eggs / some cheese / lots of veggies / coconut oil (amazing stuff) / butter...
                              I haven't put my daily intake on fit day yet - I will start that though to get a benchmark of where I am now - which is where I feel amazing!

weight loss - still @ about 6# total in the first 2 weeks, which is fine - too busy at work to get in sprints or heavy lifting for the last week

Still not a lot of cravings - I still want a diet coke sometimes...but I'd like one without the acid reflux please!!
                              Occasionally I'd like dessert - but greek yogurt and fruit covers that just fine.

Should really start a journal - hmm tomorrow?

later
                              pbj
                              my info:

My journal

Comment

hey! I'm a student here at ISU. Some of us primals here in ames are getting a group together to perhaps purchase some primal foods in bulk to get discounts. I've been kind of out of the loop over the last week so I don't really know whats going on... You are certainly welcome to get in on it. I can let you know once I know a little more if you are interested.

I love the weather here too. today was so awesome. Nice and warm. Went for a run today and it reminded me of summer. Soon its going to be cold though :/ bleh.

Where do you buy your food? I've found that Fareway has a decent meat counter with some good deals occasionally. They also consistently have the cheapest eggs (besides Aldis which is way too far away for me).

Comment

Working...
                                X