I'm starting - Fat guy going Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm starting - Fat guy going Primal

Accidentally posted this in another section of the forum, so here it is in the right place.

Hey everyone. I'm 23 and in terrible shape. 360 Lbs living on a diet of carbs. I was like this in High School but got done to 180 on a low fat diet and 3 hours at the gym 5 days a week. You wonder why I gained it all back? * laughs *

Well I haven't been to the doctor in years, but I am still young so I am sure if I get in shape now I can still survive into my 80s - no idea on my levels, but I've always had elevated cholesterol but never dangerous (good genes. That being said this is no way to live and I want to be done with it forever to enjoy life with my new wife.

I normally eat 5000 calories a day so I am starting off with pretty big meals to avoid feeling like crap

So off I go. I started today:

Breakfast of an omlette with veggies - light cheese - coffee with some cream

Lunch: salad with a big slice of chicken (lettuce, peppers, onions) and a nice dousing of olive oil

Dinner: a 12 oz steak with roasted onions and steamed califlower

Snacks of Jerky and Almonds instead of my normal potato chips or fries.

Its the first time I've ever been on a diet and felt good, full, and happy come the end of the day.

This may be the beginning of something major:

Here is me:

If there is anything I must know please tell me so I can do this right. I can use all the help I can get. I really hope I can reverse all the crap I've done to myself.

Awesome. Nice food choices for Day 1 -- and yes, this is the beginngin of something major. Welcome!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Just keep it up Take it one day at a time, make good choices one at a time, and they'll all add up. If you make one bad choice, make the next one better! Looks like your first day went well, I hope your second does too!

You are what you eat,
      and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Work on your mental game. 15/16ths of the battle is won in the head. When you falter don't dwell, just do better next time. Get excited about it. This is the best thing that will ever happened to you. Set good goals. Tell yourself that in six months....

Very important: make sure you lift weights to maintain muscle mass.

You da man!!

Comment

Your off to a great start! Eat as much as you like, just make them primal foods. There is something satisfying about eating a ton of meat knowing that it is inherently good for you!

Keep your exercise to walking if you cant sprint yet, but just like worthc said above, make sure you are lifting weights, even if it just 1 - 2 days a week for half hour, it will go a long way!

If you have any questions everyone here is very helpful and we can try our best to guide you in your new life

Comment

Congratulations for choosing to go primal! Adding to what others have already said, it looks like you made some perfect food choices. This is a great group here, always willing to help, so you'll have all the support you need to be successful.

Comment

Congrats on your new journey! You made a great choice.

Couple of tips to help you make the best out of this experience:

- Ease yourself into a low-carb life style by slowly reducing the amount of carbs instead of cutting them out entirely. You're doing pretty good so far as you're eating plenty of vegetables that are carby. If you start feeling lightheaded or hungry for bread, grab some veggies or fruits instead of breaking down and having that small piece of a dinner roll or something like that.

- Be as close to all-natural ingredients as possible. You mentioned you had some light cheese for breakfast. Go for a full-fat, and if at all possible, raw-milk one.

- After you're been doing this for a few weeks and you start feeling great again, start cutting your carbs out little by little. See if you can get your daily intake to about 50 g total. That will dramatically speed up your weight-loss rate.

Good luck with everything!

Comment

Dualhammers, go man go! I trust you have Mark's book? I've read a bunch of great books, and go back to re-read chapters, or the entire book from time to time. It seems that as your knowledge and its application grows, the info becomes more ingrained. You'll own this.

Keep checking in on MDA, and ask questions, there are a load of smart and supportive folks here. Welcome to the revolution!

Comment

dualhammers - looks like you're off to a really great start. It's amazing how easy it is to eat real food once you begin.

All the best.

Comment

Best of luck my man. Be glad you found the Primal way at such a young age.

Comment

Thank you for all the great encouragement! It has been good so far - just giving a lunch time update (I plan on starting a journal thread in a few days).

I've been going through the stressful process of getting an expedited passport since I lost mine recently, so I think that is making me more ansy. I am definitely feeling rough around the edges from the lack of carbs and the fact that I am quitting diet soda cold turkey. I drink about 300 oz of diet soda a day, and I am cutting that now. Naturally I am gonna feel nasty for several days, but I've done this part before with cutting out fats so I can handle the mental. Fortunately I have nothing to do for the next 2 weeks so I can just sleep it off if need be.

I won't be starting weight lifting until I am well onto the diet - maybe another 2-3 weeks. That is when I get back from my gym and have access to the gym agian. It is small, mostly a circuit course, but for me right now I think that will be enough if I add in push-ups, squats, etc.

Someone mentioned that I should go with full-fat cheese and not light cheese as I stated above. I actually meant to say light on the cheese; the cheese itself was full fat.

Food so far today - when looking at the portions keep in mind I eat about 5000~ cals a day to maintain my weight and I definitely don't want to drop that too fast.:

Breakfast of two cups of coffee with a couple tbs of heavy cream. 1 8oz Strip Steak. 2 Scrambled Eggs. 1/2 raw tomato sliced. a nice pile of sauted onions (it was breakfast out so I am sure the oil wasn't the best, but whatever.)

Lunch of a big ass salad with avocado, mixed greens, tomatoes, chopped chicken, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and a nice slathering of Italian dressing (unfortunately I didn't notice they had straight olive oil and vinegar until after she had applied the dressing).

A few handfuls of cashews in between, and so far about 120 oz of Water.

Two

Comment

Did I mention that I'm totally impressed that you're starting NOW, rather than saying "I'll wait until after Christmas" or "It'll be my New Years Resolution." It's obvious that you're serious about making this happen.

I don't think your portions sound overlarge at all.

About dropping the diet soda (good choice, btw), a drink that I like to sip on during the day is spearmint tea (no caffiene) with coconut milk. It's kind of sweet, and hot drinks help keep me focused when I'm stuck at a desk.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I second worthc's advice. I went primal this year at 28 and I'm 200lbs +/- a few. The hardest part is mental and learning how to cook and prepare things that I'm not used to.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Similar to paleopiper here - started moving to primal eating @ 27 and 225 lbs. Currently at 185 lbs.

First 20 lbs lost were a little tough, sort of. It was getting myself more active and on a schedule that was the harder part. Throw in a little bit of injuries here and there too (rest days are just as important as workout days - TRUST ME!!!).

The next 20 lbs came off MUCH more quickly, when I decided to ween off the carbs 100%. I actually took a rest week (sprained my big toe) this past week and still lost ~ 2lbs by just walking slowly everyday w/ my dog.

Read up on ketosis if you haven't - I find it is THE preferable state to be in if you want to lose weight. When I was allowing myself a fruit or 3 each day (at night...) I found myself cheating much more and eating more sugars, which drove me to eat more, etc. It is *easier* to eliminate most sugars and work from there.

Comment

Regarding exercise, start SLOW. Work up SLOWLY.

I cannot stress this enough. Injury prevention should be a high priority - especially since you mention you were working out so much previously.... I know how it feels; your mind KNOWS you did X, Y, and Z, before, so you can "push" yourself to reach that level.

I know I felt ashamed, going to the gym when I first got back, trying to do HIIT and sucking wind while "sprinting" (barely jogging?) on the treadmill @ 6.0mph. Doesn't matter though - work up slowly - avoiding an injury that will sideline you, mentally AND physically, is much more preferred.

It stands to be reiterated: rest days are CRUCIAL.

welcome aboard!!

Comment

Working...
                              X