No announcement yet.

Cheat Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way I've been able to lose weight consistently (2-3lbs/ week) has been with adding cheat days. But I think the most important part of this is that during the week, you have to undereat. You can't just be eating all the primal foods you want and then gorge on cheat days. You have to deplete your glyocogen so that when you cheat, there is no overflow which would turn to fat. The reason slow carb diet works is because during the week, calories and carbs are very low.
    What I do is IF M-Th. I eat 1 or 2 meals a day. Usually salmon and greens or beef and veggies. Very low carb and very low calories for the day. Then Fridays and Saturdays I up my calories as much as I can and eat as much carbs as i can. I stay primal. Sundays I play it by ear. i'm usually too full to eat more then 1 meal on Sunday. By Monday I'm happy to go back to my IF and eat less.
    I have found that eating this way, I've lost all cravings for food and snacking. I literally have to force myself to eat more on weekends.
    I've experimented with different ways of eating. But this is the only way that I've been able to guarantee a 2lb lost per week. I've lost 15lbs in 2 months since I started eating this way. Oh and I'm hardly ever hungry even on my 1 meal days. Oh and I crossfit 4 days a week. But I was doing that before and didn't lose a single pound. So it is the eating that determines weight loss, not the workout.

Comment

My husband and I only started a few weeks ago too, around 5 like you, and we had our first cheat night on Sunday night. We ordered a pizza and wings... and while it all tasted very good, we both felt sick all night afterward. He had a lot of stomach cramping. I felt like vomiting, and just had an overall feeling of being unwell. We will be trying something else next time we have a cheat day. Non-primal pizza is not on the menu again any time soon!

Comment

I think it really depends on the individual. If you're 20 and significantly overweight, it might not matter much to have one cheat day (assuming you still avoid gluten). If you're 50 and just a few pounds away from your ideal weight, you're probably going to stall. Add in the relative health of your body, how long you've been eating Primal, what your workout was that day, how high your stress level is... it all depends.

Me? I try not to plan cheat days. The way my mind works, I'd be fantasizing about them all week, and that would set me up to eat stuff I shouldn't even before my planned "cheat".

I don't have entire "cheat days" anyway. One meal or food or party or whatever is plenty, at least for me. And when I do eat stuff that's less than optimal, I still avoid wheat.

Seriously, a few days ago I ate some pretty large meatballs because a friend of mine was craving Italian food for lunch. I completely forgot that the usual way to make meatballs is with breadcrumbs because MINE don't have any. Before I even got home, I was bloated and gassy, and the next morning my body had thrown a temper tantrum by gaining almost 5 pounds overnight.
        Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
          Me? I try not to plan cheat days. The way my mind works, I'd be fantasizing about them all week, and that would set me up to eat stuff I shouldn't even before my planned "cheat".

I don't have entire "cheat days" anyway. One meal or food or party or whatever is plenty, at least for me. And when I do eat stuff that's less than optimal, I still avoid wheat.
          Me too, pretty much. Man, I remember the days when I thought everything was great as long as it was whole-wheat. Shit.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
            Me too, pretty much. Man, I remember the days when I thought everything was great as long as it was whole-wheat. Shit.
            I know, right? All that crappy whole wheat pasta I ate. The wheat berry salads I prepared. And those hamburger buns.

Those fucking awful hamburger buns.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

That's the part I find so funny/sad. The whole wheat stuff really tasted like crap, and the only reason why you ate it was because it was supposed to be good for you. Then you find out it tastes like crap AND it makes you sick. WTH!
              Durp.

Comment

Yeah I am still thoroughly pissed that I ate brown fucking shitty fucking tiny fucking takes forever to fucking cook fucking rice instead of the readily-available white rice that I now once again consume, albeit on a limited basis.

Overall I guess I'm mostly annoyed that I was like "hurrr whole wheat over white makes perfect sense, cus 'whole'! duh!" and never thought to read into it further. Though I guess if I had bothered I would have most likely found positive articles and just kept right along...
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

well said!

Comment

lol! Great story! I am with you with the self discipline thing. 6 days a week if it ain't primal it aint going in my belly either.

Comment

I actually like brown rice and whole wheat bread and pasta. Call me crazy, but the truth is there are not many foods that i dont like! LOL! I like me some white rice too

Comment

"The other part says: damn, its hard when 99% of the people around you aren't following the same diet. Do your best and forget the rest. Every little change for the better is worth it."

This is where it's at for sure.

Comment

try to cut out grains and milk completely, and wait if your acne is getting better or changing

Comment

Originally posted by usernamewhy View Post
                            try to cut out grains and milk completely, and wait if your acne is getting better or changing
                            I know thats the truth. I do not have grains or dairy 99.9% 6 days a week. I have been on this for 5 weeks. To really see I know I should cut out cheat days, I just don't think I am ready for that yet Soon, though.

Comment

Working...
                            X