Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex-Vegetarian Gone Primal - First Month Results!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ex-Vegetarian Gone Primal - First Month Results!

    Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a couple weeks and thought I would finally come out of hiding.

    Just last month I was a vegetarian (for 13 years), tired and frustrated with myself and my inability to lose weight. Sure, I joined Weight Watchers a couple times and lost some weight, but I was stuck in "counting calories and chronic cardio mode" and it would not result in any long-lasting weight loss. I was doing WW again, struggling to lose any weight at all (and I have plenty to lose!).

    Then, I read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat." And, it all seemed to click. I started researching new, vastly different ways of eating and jumped into my new diet immediately. After one month, I have lose 16.6 lbs and I feel like a new person. I was lucky and didn't experience any substantial "carb flu" - just the amazing results of this new way of eating. I am calmer and less hungry than I have ever been. It has been a huge adjustment for me, of course, but I think it was just what my body needed.

    I'm excited to start contributing to this wonderful forum!
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

  • #2
    Welcome Grokarella! I'm happy it's going well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

    I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

    Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks, Hedonist! Your blog looks interesting; I've bookmarked it to explore it later.
      Jennifer, 28 years old
      Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
      Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

      Comment


      • #4
        I should have filled this out in my original post!

        Your location: Virginia

        Age (If you want): 28

        How Primal are you: Other than an occasional indulgence like dark chocolate and needing to up my exercise, I'm Primal!

        Do you consume dairy: Yes

        Do you drink coffee or tea: No, but only because I have never been a fan.

        Motivator for switching to Primal: Started with wanting to lose weight, but I'm very happy with my other results!

        Favorite exercise: Need to work on this! I'm only moving at a slow pace right now

        Favorite Primal food: Hmm, this is a hard one for me. I'm a huge fan of The Food Lovers. I love their recipes!

        Best part about being Primal: Everything

        Worst part about being Primal: Craving sweets
        Jennifer, 28 years old
        Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
        Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Grokarella View Post
          Favorite exercise: Need to work on this! I'm only moving at a slow pace right now
          As Robb Wolf says, the great thing is that when you first start to exercise, everything works! Just keep moving. You'll soon want to move more.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Courage View Post
            As Robb Wolf says, the great thing is that when you first start to exercise, everything works! Just keep moving. You'll soon want to move more.
            Thanks! My husband and I love to visit the local parks and geocache, but it has been so miserably hot lately! I think we just need to suck it up and sweat a little.
            Jennifer, 28 years old
            Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
            Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

            Comment


            • #7
              Welcome. It's a testament to the power of good nutrition that even in the absence of "real" exercise you still lost quite a lot of weight.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                Welcome. It's a testament to the power of good nutrition that even in the absence of "real" exercise you still lost quite a lot of weight.
                Yes, absolutely. I don't think I could have lost that much weight in a month with my previous way of eating, no matter how few calories I ate or how much I exercised. I'm excited to incorporate more exercise not only for fat loss, but better overall health.
                Jennifer, 28 years old
                Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
                Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

                Comment


                • #9
                  By the way, any other ex-vegetarians/vegans out there? It is a pretty drastic diet change, but I have seen some blogs/posts from people making this transition.
                  Jennifer, 28 years old
                  Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
                  Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi Grokarella......i know where you are coming from. I was veggie for 20 years and Raw for 2 and have now been Paleo 100% for about 5 weeks........feeling great and loving the new way of life......just a shame it took me 39 years to discover it!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi wehey! It is great to "meet" another ex-vegetarian It really has been an amazing change for me. Of course, now I'm in the awkward position of explaining my diet change to other people! I'm known as "the vegetarian" at work, so I have been sneaky about hiding my lunches. Probably a little odd, but people are nosy unfortunately and I don't want to be the "weird meat diet" girl either. People are so interested in what others eat!
                      Jennifer, 28 years old
                      Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
                      Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Grokarella View Post
                        Hi wehey! It is great to "meet" another ex-vegetarian It really has been an amazing change for me. Of course, now I'm in the awkward position of explaining my diet change to other people! I'm known as "the vegetarian" at work, so I have been sneaky about hiding my lunches. Probably a little odd, but people are nosy unfortunately and I don't want to be the "weird meat diet" girl either. People are so interested in what others eat!
                        MDA is crawling with us ex-vegetarians. Hehe.

                        Avoid talking about the "weird" aspects of Primal. What you say sort of depends on why you were vegetarian and how you eat now. Were you vegetarian for ethical reasons or just for health? Are you able to eat humanely raised meat or do you have to buy conventional?

                        "I understand now that humans need at least some meat to reach optimal health."

                        "I understand now that a healthy ecosystem requires natural fertilization by farm animals."

                        You, or someone, can come up with better statements. Just giving you an idea of what you might say.
                        Ancestral Health Info

                        I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

                        Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'd just eat whatever you want, and when people ask, say, "I'm just sticking to vegetables and meat for a while, it seems to make me feel healthier" or something like that, and never bring up the topic yourself.
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                            MDA is crawling with us ex-vegetarians. Hehe.

                            Avoid talking about the "weird" aspects of Primal. What you say sort of depends on why you were vegetarian and how you eat now. Were you vegetarian for ethical reasons or just for health? Are you able to eat humanely raised meat or do you have to buy conventional?

                            "I understand now that humans need at least some meat to reach optimal health."

                            "I understand now that a healthy ecosystem requires natural fertilization by farm animals."

                            You, or someone, can come up with better statements. Just giving you an idea of what you might say.
                            Thank you, Hedonist. This is helpful. I was definitely going to go with the health angle, which, of course, is absolutely true. But, I was vegetarian for primarily ethical reasons, so that will prompt additional questions. However, I became a vegetarian at such a young age and had no means of acquiring humanely raised meat. Now that my situation has changed as an adult, I feel that caring about animal welfare and the primal movement are not mutually exclusive, as long as I am mindful of what I am purchasing. I have already told one friend (not a vegetarian) who was very surprised and asked a lot of questions. But, it is easier to tell friends and familiy, harder to tell work acquaintances.
                            Jennifer, 28 years old
                            Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
                            Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks for the solid advice, tfarny. I'll try to deal with questions as they come.
                              Jennifer, 28 years old
                              Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
                              Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X