Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok...here goes....

i hesitate.....
    i've been on other forums (regardless of the subject matter) that the panicky "omg what do i do now?" introduction gets eye rolling and groans from those that "get it" (me included LOL)

so here are my reason(s) for panic LOL
    (i'll bust out the relevant-ish details at the end )

#1:
    my brain chemistry is all goofed up and i can't think clearly from the crazy eating habits i have been employing, intentionally or otherwise so i am the total dingbat that is like "crap i need to do something....wait what am i talking about?"

#2:
    primal/paleo is pretty straightforward right? eat plants/animals, don't eat grains, processed foods, sugars, legumes, etc
    ok, that i get.....i think i am panicking because i know that i have had a lifelong issue of eating too little or too much so i kind of want an actual concise "blueprint" and lists...(a little confused that there is "no counting" but there is the Carbohydrate Curve....which requires counting....and caloric reqs...which requires counting? or did i misread?)
    i'd prefer:
    eat Xoz of XYZ proteins X times a day
    eat XYZ fruit X times a day
    eat XYZ veg X times a day
    for a general daily caloric requirement of XYZ

i really feel like i need a starting point until i get my brain function balanced and stable

ok yeah...i know there were more reasons but...proof that my brain is whackadoodle i just lost my train of thought...wtf?

basic and recent history...
    I build muscle easily(when i actually use them!)...my eating habits have caused me to also lose muscle VERY quickly....flabbiest ever!
    I also feel the worst, weakest, foggiest, and oldest i have felt in all of my almost 42 years....

for the last year and half i have been on/off a very low calorie "supplemented" plan, that does NOT advocate exercise....that worked exactly one time (lost 14lbs and kept it off for about 3 months....you know the composition of what i have gained back....it ain't muscle kids! )
    protein, fruit, veg; low to no grain/carb, low to no fat, ...(very short list of allowed foods)

last year at this time i was pretty darn comfortable in a bathing suit, sundress, most if not all of my clothes...now i dread having to get dressed, can't stand wearing sleeveless shirts, etc (oh yeah that whole bathing suit thing....pretty much NOT an option but probably far less torturous than my jeans! LOL)

i know that i have lost a significant portion of what lean mass i did have, no energy to do anything about it (shocker? not really LOL)

I stand behind a chair all day doing hair....and flat out forget to eat, not just when i am working...it just doesn't seem to be a priority until it is too late and i am famished and dingy (unless i have complete structure/plan of attack to create a habit) and then think "oh man i didn't eat all day....pizza is ok right?" (uh....clearly my real brain knows this to not be valid)

anyway....i think this was mostly rambling and disconnected but.....
    do i need to count calories?
    do i need to count grams?
    where do i start? (yes i have read the book and the newbies start here posts and guides)
    i just can't tie it all together with "primal for dingdongs" which is what i think i need until my brain works (yes i know i am being repetitive), i guess my brain is working enough to know that it is not working properly and why... LOL

i am:
    female
    5'2"
    125-130ish (yes i KNOW that is not "obese" but the flab and cellulite are proof that scale numbers don't matter for health/composition/comfort)

help a potential warrior out?
    (if you can figure out what the hell i am rambling on about! LOL)

mikki

125-130ish (yes i KNOW that is not "obese" but the flab and cellulite are proof that scale numbers don't matter for health/composition/comfort)

Exactly I only weigh in at 150 on the scale but I have a higher end of body fat.
    For advice I would say stick with the blueprint and keep up with the exercise suggested.
    If you find you don't like walking because it's boring, bring music.
    If you want to play, then by all means play
    If you want to escape humanity and relax in the woods, I suggest doing it for great stress release (that's what I do, most every night.)

Comment

i love walking and it is great fun with my dog....she is happy and wondrous at everything she smells/sees (she is also a great player/stress reliever )

i am not having any brain damage regarding the activity....which is only 20% of the gig.....it's the other *really* important 80% LOL

Comment

Your Brain On Ketones | Psychology Today
        Archevore - Archevore Diet

Comment

right.....

i don't mean to sound ungrateful or argumentative.....
          i can't engage in activity or access ketones for brain function if i haven't started eating primal foods....go buy a cow and a bag of greens and call it a day? i think not LOL

Comment

Originally posted by hottierockstar View Post
            right.....

i don't mean to sound ungrateful or argumentative.....
            i can't engage in activity or access ketones for brain function if i haven't started eating primal foods....go buy a cow and a bag of greens and call it a day? i think not LOL
            Okay ... it seems that you might want help figuring out a starting point for yourself in terms of what you eat and how much you eat and determining all the ratios and numbers that seem a bit overwhelming when you read them. Right?

If so, I'll be happy to walk you through the basics (at least as I understand them) to get you started.
            My primal journal that I don't update enough:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Comment

Originally posted by girlarchitect View Post
              Okay ... it seems that you might want help figuring out a starting point for yourself in terms of what you eat and how much you eat and determining all the ratios and numbers that seem a bit overwhelming when you read them. Right?

If so, I'll be happy to walk you through the basics (at least as I understand them) to get you started.
              yes.
              please.
              thank you

i'd like to get my meals for the next few days together and don't want to go willy nilly with purchases/portions....and don't want to undereat or overeat (that's no way to have balanced insulin and lean muscle mass )

Comment

Originally posted by hottierockstar View Post
                yes.
                please.
                thank you

i'd like to get my meals for the next few days together and don't want to go willy nilly with purchases/portions....and don't want to undereat or overeat (that's no way to have balanced insulin and lean muscle mass )
                I'm happy to help. I'm going to suggest we not start with numbers and ratios. Not for the first week. We can get into that next week - I promise. Because you have written that you have some pretty crazy eating habits I think we should focus on eating as healthy as possible. I know you want numbers. I'll give you ideas for proportions to get you started which is all you need right now. There is a huge world of food out there for you to eat and explore. This week, let's figure out what you are going to eat. So you can go out and buy what you need.
                A couple basics first. Are you just buying food/cooking for yourself? What kinds of food do you like and eat right now? Do you like steaks, seafood, thai, mexican, salads? Whatever. Do you eat out? Does your work sometimes mean lunches are sometimes provided?

Comment

Quickly look at this sample menu ... can you imagine eating these meals? Don't worry about volume - we will cover that. But can you imagine eating an omlete for breakfast, a salad for lunch and a steak and veggies for dinner? Is there something on that list that worries you?

Comment

I'm happy to help. I'm going to suggest we not start with numbers and ratios. Not for the first week. We can get into that next week - I promise. Because you have written that you have some pretty crazy eating habits I think we should focus on eating as healthy as possible. I know you want numbers. I'll give you ideas for proportions to get you started which is all you need right now. There is a huge world of food out there for you to eat and explore. This week, let's figure out what you are going to eat. So you can go out and buy what you need.
                    A couple basics first. Are you just buying food/cooking for yourself? What kinds of food do you like and eat right now? Do you like steaks, seafood, thai, mexican, salads? Whatever. Do you eat out? Does your work sometimes mean lunches are sometimes provided?

I do far better with planning/cooking/preparing for myself than trying to grab something reasonable on the fly (if that makes sense - sometimes it's a muscle milk, sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's a coffee, sometimes i flat out give up and get fast food).
                    work lunches are never provided...unless another stylist comes up and says "want one of those really yummy sandwiches? i'm placing an order for delivery" (which i have no problem declining)
                    When i am motivated and have the sense given to cook for myself i eat proteins and veggies....because i have been eating too little and too infrequently.....tostitos, sugars, tortillas, and ice cream have been sneaking in LOL (like they're some stealth entity with the power to do anything? LOL)

Quickly look at this sample menu ... can you imagine eating these meals? Don't worry about volume - we will cover that. But can you imagine eating an omlete for breakfast, a salad for lunch and a steak and veggies for dinner? Is there something on that list that worries you?
                    honestly the only thing that does worry me is volume. I know with me it could go either way....too much/little.
                    i think that comes from the extremely low calorie diet that i have done/attempted. the contents of that diet are basically primal but very low intake.

these are the things that i usually go to when i am being "good"*

proteins:
                    tilapia, egg starters or whole eggs, egg-white "bread", chicken, beef (steak, roast), ground turkey, ground chicken (love bacon - turkey or pork and would love to have that back in my life!)

veggies:
                    brussel sprouts, butter leaf lettuce, asparagus, cabbage, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli

fruits:
                    blackberries, strawberries, grapefruit, apples

fats:
                    coconut oil
                    mayo
                    avocado
                    cheese (string cheese and cheddar for the most part)
                    half n half or whole cream

i am sure there are a LOT more options available to me that i have been swayed from in the last year.

i don't think i do real well with dairy like cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc....i like those things but i don't think my body responds well to them.

being "bad" is ice cream, chips, chips, and more chips, dark chocolate, flour tortillas, eating nothing...

trying to think of what i have had in the last week or so...i was attempting "good" so it was mostly ground turkey, tilapia, ground chicken, tomatoes, steak, etc.....but under 500 calories a day...and
                    1. i was starving
                    2. i was cranky
                    3. gave up (typical restricted calorie yoyo cycle)

*i know that food or me is neither good nor bad it is just the easiest way to describe when i am making an effort versus willynillyness

Comment

Okay. I think the transition is going to be relatively easy for you to the extent that you already aren't eating a lot of carbs and you are already eating a lot of foods that are primal. I'm a planner too regarding my meals so I totally get that perspective. The fact that you are used to cooking for youself in also good - many people starting aren't and that's part of the transition. You also don't need to eat lunch. Since you often skip it we can assume that will continue this week. Perhaps we can come up with a mid-day snack (mini meal) for you to pack that will work as I imagine your day is fairly hectic and I'll bet work is busy during the lunch hour as clients come in to get a trim. I skip lunch at least two days a week and sometimes as often as five days a week. I still get enough food and am not starving.
                      I'm a big fan of potato chips and tortilla chips too and that was and still is a hard thing to not eat so be warned that will be something you'll need to fight if you are anything like me. particularly on the first week. One thing I'd recommend it to make certain you have food in the house to re-heat (i.e. leftovers) - if you have food when you are hungry you will be less likely to go for the chips.
                      Start by assuming you are going to eat about 3-4 ounces of meat, 4-6 ounces of fish or 2-3 eggs with each meal. (I find that I eat a bit more fish than meat that's why I've upped it but your stomach will let you know how much you personally need.)

This is currently my rough weekly approach with the thinking behind it that may or may not help you get started:

With protein at every meal, I need t 19 - 21 servings of protein a week. Per meal, I am finding that typically eat about 2 eggs, 3-4 ounces of meat /poultry, or about 5-6 ounces of seafood. This is somewhere between 3.5 - almost 8 pound of protein which is a huge range for planning purposes. So I've broken it down further ..

I will typically have 4-6 salads a week for lunch to which I often include a can of tuna or salmon and half and avocado. I can get wild supposedly sustainably caught cans at Whole Food and - and buy in volume - 10-20 cans at a time. Cans are easy for the brown bag lunch and 'easy' works in the morning.

I typically eating 4-6 meals of fish per week. I usually buy my fish frozen from Whole Foods and Safeway (I can get a limited selection of sustainable fish there). I like the frozen packs that have two vacuum sealed 6 ounce portions per bag - typically I can find salmon, tuna, swordfish, cod and haddock. I find I can either defrost the fish in advance or pop the frozen fillet right in the oven wrapped tight in foil and vegetables - 20-30 minutes later I have a simple delicious meal. It's essentially a frozen dinner. If I am full and can't eat a full 6 oz, I can always make fish cakes with the leftovers. Because they are frozen, I have the flexibility of eating more or less fish & I try to keep at least 8 fillets in the freezer so I know I have the option. Typically, I eat the whole 6 ounces but when I'm not so hungry the remainder can be saved to add to a salad or to make a fish cake

I plan on 4 meals with eggs. Either (A)6 hard-boiled plus 2 scrambled/fried OR (B)one 8 egg frittatta that I will eat once hot and have leftovers for three meals. I like eggs and I know not everyone does. Frittattas and hard-boiled eggs are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner so it's not all eggs every morning. I am considering alternating eggs with an occasional Sunday roast (leg of lamb, roast chicken, brisket) that will contribute to about four meals. Basically, I buy a dozen eggs and immediately boil half of them or make a frittatta the next morning (this way I have ready food to eat for breakfast, lunch or a snack)

I try to make on big dish of some meat and veggie combination - these are typically stews and casseroles - again for the simplicity. One you might try is a Green Curry Chicken . I'd suggest you make the entire recipe so you have leftovers. It's great re-heated for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you decide to make this buy a head of cauliflower to make cauliflower rice which is surprisingly good.

All of the above gets me 16 servings of protein - which leaves me with 3-5 meals to figure out on the fly.

I know I will probably eat out for a couple of them. Other nights, it's nice to make something special. I love fajitas and I quite happy without tortillas provided I still get homemade guac. I also love a giant pot of steamed mussels, clams or crabs from the fish market which is only two blocks from my house.

I also usually have some bacon or Canadian bacon - these last for at least two weeks in the frig. It's not a major protein source but nice to have on hand.
                      Buy a good dark chocolate bar - 70% dark at least. It's fine on a primal diet and you will need something for your sweet tooth.

Obviously, you aren't eating lunch so you might not need to get the supplies for that.

Does this make sense? Thoughts? Concerns?

Comment

I really didn't intend to do this but I did. I ran your height/weight/age on a standard calculator to determine the number of calories you should be taking in to maintain your current weight. I don't hold a great deal of stock in these calculators as they seem to run high in calories ... but it is a starting point to consider what it realistic.
                        According to the calculator, you need an average of 1700 to 1850 calories per day to maintain your weight. I'd bet an average of your weekly intake, considering the chips and ice cream comes out to about that level.
                        For perspective, I'm 44 years old (so we are about the same age)- 5'-9" and 160 lbs (but different body types). According to this site, I need 2100 calories to maintain my weight. According to conventional wisdom (which again, I don't hold a great deal of stock in but see as a starting point) I need to reduce my intake by 500 calories to loss a pound a week - essentially 1,600 calories. Currently I'm averaging about 1800 a day and basically maintaining my weight or maybe losing about 1 lb every other week. Right now, I'm essentially just starting living primal - on my second month (so take my thoughts with that in mind) - so I'm less worried about calories and more concerned about learning to eat this much without bread and chips which have been, honestly, a huge amount of my caloric intake before this. Along with that, I drink far too much wine and cocktails and that adds to the calorie load for me.
                        If you really have been taking in only 500 calories a day, I think your body is going to need to recover from essentially starvation rations. I'm betting you are actually eating more with the 'bad' food. A thing to keep in mind is that in reality the average intake over a week is far more important to look at than the daily intake.
                        Because I'm on a different time zone than you, I've finished my day and had dinner. I'd be happy to share what I've bought for the week and my thoughts/plans for the week if you are interested.

Comment

Yikes .. I hope that was helpful!

Comment

Yikes .. I hope that was helpful!
                            for sure! i appreciate your time!

Comment

Keep us updated on how you are doing!!

Comment

Working...
                              X