55yo woman weighing 280 lbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by belinda View Post
    I started with walking 20 minutes on my lunch and riding a recumbent exercise bicycle for 20 minutes while I watched tv in the evening. Along with that, I did some wall pushups, some step ups/downs on my basement stairs, and since I didn't have a kettle bell, I did some laundry detergent bottle swings. One day I was out thrifting and found a set of 2.5/5/10 lb dumbbells for $15 so I bought those and do a little variety of upper body work.
    What a great idea with the laundry detergent bottle! All you have to do is wash more clothes (and those sheets/curtains/towels you've forgotten about...) if it's too heavy for you :-P
    Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
      What a great idea with the laundry detergent bottle! All you have to do is wash more clothes (and those sheets/curtains/towels you've forgotten about...) if it's too heavy for you :-P
      Just go to the grocery store and lift a few bottles until you find ones that feel about right. Hopefully they'll be on sale. Don't use them for doing laundry until you're ready to graduate to heavier bottles An added bonus is that if you drop one on your foot (or hit yourself in the head, ahem) it probably doesn't hurt as much as a steel kettlebell would.
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Givenup, you are choosing to be negative - couldn't stay Atkins, can't sprint, too hot, wrist hurts - even your user name that you chose is negative. First and foremost you have to change that way of thinking. That's the hardest part. Make yourself think in terms of positives - I CAN do this, I CAN do that, I WILL do it, etc. No amount of advice from us will work unless you truly embrace the changes necessary to make yourself healthy.

So the first choice you make can be either "Hell Yeah! I am going to do these things!" or "Screw you and screw this, no way can I do this!"

I hope you choose the first, and toss the negatives in your mind to the curb! Go for it!
        Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Thanks so much, HTownGirl! Your comments helped a lot. I have walked for 15 to 20 minutes the past two days and am sticking to the way of eating so I am headed in the right direction! Thanks!!!

Comment

Ouch! That hurt! I will develop a better attitude! Thanks!

Comment

Austin, Texas is hot! My brother lives there. I have been walking with my daughter about 8:30 or 9:00 at night and it is tolerable. Feels good to get back to the cool house and know that you've done what you needed to do! What is the parcourse? Thanks for your encouragement!

Comment

Good to see your more positive mind-set

If you see the success stories on here they're all from people who've said "I can do this!". It boggles my mind that people at work know what I'm doing and that I've lost a ton of weight this year, but they're all "i can't give up diet coke", "i could never give up my bagels... or pizza .... or donuts..."

Why "can't" they? They think it's about willpower. Hell, I've never had willpower. I've never had an off switch when it came to food - until now.

The primal blueprint has given me an off switch and a substitute for willpower. It's called eating as much healthy food as I need, when I need it.

You can do this too. I certainly haven't cornered the market
                Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                CW: 146.8 lbs
                GW 140 lbs
                A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Hi, givenup

The parcouse was an exercise system popular in the 1970's. It was a pathway, usually built on a campus or in a park, with different stations for doing different exercises, with big signs next to them describing how to do the exercise. There'd by a chinup bar (three heights offered) one place, and a sloping beam one was supposed to vault over another, a place to lie down (at different angles) with something to grab to do leg lifts, and so on. I couldn't do all the things they asked, but I did try. Very early morning was the best time. It was cooler than in the evening, and less crowded.

Comment

Working...
                  X