Any Calgary area Primals out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Calgary area Primals out there?

Hey guys, I've just recently moved to Calgary (love love love it) and am extending a HELLO! to all the area Paleo/Primalists out there!

First question, can anyone recommend a good Crossfit gym? I'm in the NW and am seriously considering taking the plunge!
    You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
    Margaret Thatcher

Hi, I am not sure what is particulary special about crossfit gyms. I go to Cardel Place in NW, and it has every piece of equipment and facility one can dream of for a monthly fee of $50. But I am a self-led trainee, and throw together my own schedules & like the versatility. The only class I like doing is Zumba in the winter.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I just want to take the classes.
      Margaret Thatcher

Comment

I can't really recommend anything there. I've got disillusioned in group fitness. Apart from Jessika's Zumba class. I believe there is a X-fit gym in Crowfoot mall, and the YMCA there as well. Good luck with finding a good fit for your needs!
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I'm a Calgary peep! And so is one of the forum's most well-loved and knowledgeable posters, Stabby (I just learned this recently and am eager to share).

There is Crossfit Box in the NW - up in Crowfoot, like was mentioned. Crossfit Calgary
          I so desperately want to join it too but am still recovering form a stupid back injury from a stupid car accident. I'm a fitness instructor (at GoodLife Fitness) and teach tons of classes all over the place every week, but still think a Crossfit gym offers something utterly unique. I totally get why you want to join.

There's also a great health food market up in the same area - Amaranth Market in Arbour Lake. They sell lots of good grass-fed meats and free run eggs, plus gluten-free everything if you're into that sorta thing.

Where'd ya move from?

Comment

Thanks Erin! That's hilarious, my next question was going to be asking for a recommendation for a good organics foodmart! Thanks for beating me to it, I'll definitely check them both out. I just moved here from Toronto, I used to be a Goodlife FM back in the day.
            Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Wow, could the world be any smaller?

Comment

There's a Cross Fit gym on Spiller Rd x 21 Ave SE. Right beside the 7-11. I've seen it a few times while driving by but haven't been inside. I shop at 2 of the farmer's markets mostly (Kingsland off Mac Trail and Calgary Farmer's Market on Blackfoot). I just noticed that they opened a Blush Lanes on 17 Av x 26 St SW and they sell Sunworks Farms products.

Comment

Great, thanks warrdogg, I've been told about the Framer's market on Blackfoot, I'll check out the times. There's a Cross Fit gym up in the NW that I'm going to check out this weekend.
                  Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Anybody in Cow Town know where I can get some raw milk? I can't find it anywhere and am curious to try it out.

Comment

I think raw milk is an impossibility in Canada... no?

Comment

Hey gang I thought I would pass this along for those who love chocolate. I had a co-worker buy me a 70% dark chocolate bar from Choklat in Inglewood yesterday. I have to say it was the best chocolate I've ever tasted. I will be going back as they have some 80%+ bars as well.

https://www.sochoklat.com/about.asp

Comment

Hey all, I'm up in Airdrie - just a stone's throw away from Calgary. Thought I'd say "Hi"

Comment

Hello all fellow Calgarians, just joined the forum today (been living Primal the past few months and absolutely loving it!) and wanted to say "hey" as well. Glad to see there are a number of us already on here going forward to share local knowledge, food locations etc.

Great to see!

Comment

I am from airdrie. Only primal for a few weeks. Love it though. We have a crossfit gym here in airdrie and will likely check it out in the winter. For the summer I would like to do as much outside as I can. We go to the Calgary farmers market on Blackfoot mostly. But the crossroads market has a awesome free range meat, all kinds. We hit the crossroads one every other week. The produce is way better at the one on Blackfoot.
                              Last edited by CanadianGirl; 04-05-2012, 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling
                              CanadianGirl
                              "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

Comment

Working...
                              X