Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First day in, killer headache, but thats day one down!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Shifty,
    Just finished reading all of your post, and have to say i'm impressed. Having lived in another country myself, i know how hard it can be to get things(Primal food in your case). All I can tell you is that primal is the way to go.

Having tried several diets with my ex, this is by far the most effective, and tasty:-) And I know, this is a lifestyle change:-)

I'm a Soccer Coach/Player and my Primal journey started about a year and a half ago after having broken my shoulder backpacking. My doctor told me that because of my age(45), there was a big chance that I would not regain full range of motion/strength. Between kettlebells(lifting heavy thing) and being introduced to the Primal Life by one of the kettlebell trainers, i had a significant change in not only weight loss(near 40 lbs in a year), but also in increased energy and body composition(from 12% body fat, to 6%). I have full range of motion in my shoulder, and strength unlike I've ever had!

It works!!!!! I've experienced several of the symptoms that you have have gone through. They will pass!!! The weight does come off!!! Just stay the course and you will see the changes. Remember, they don't always happen as fast for some as for others. You are an inspiration to many in the PB way of life! Keep up the GREAT WORK, and don't hesitate to ask for anything.

Cheers,
    SoccerGrok
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post
      Hey Shifty,
      Just finished reading all of your post, and have to say i'm impressed. Having lived in another country myself, i know how hard it can be to get things(Primal food in your case). All I can tell you is that primal is the way to go.
      Hey SoccerGrok,

Thanks for the post! You really lifted my spirits today! Its nice to know someone who has been threw this before, and has seen the results. These posts are my way of keeping honest with the Primal program, and it helps me stay on track.

I'll definitely ask... And I have been.

Thanks SoccerGrok...

-Shifty
      Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Starting weight - 2.11.13 - 96 kg
      Starting measurement - waist - 116cm
      Numbers change every 50 days

Comment

Day Forty Six :

Woke up to a phone call asking me if I could work a full day in 20 minutes The adventurous part of me instantly said yes, and the clock started to tick. Shower, shave and breakfast in under 20 minutes! Done! Breakfast was a protein shake with water! It was great till a few hours later, when my stomach started to turn. I think the protein has been aggravating my stomach, and since the last few days have been rough, the first half of the day really pushed me.

On my feet for 13 hours straight doing what I loved, was hard, but great. Lunch was a big greek salad, and nothing more. I did have half a glass of diet coke, just cause I was running on empty, but after the first sip it all went into a glass of water. Did it help? I don't know. But it showed me how much I have changed. Too sweet, I used to live on that chemical.

Fitday is down right now, but I will put in the numbers tomorrow. (Edit : Here they are!)
        Cals :663, Fats : 21.8, Carbs : 14.5 Protein : 93.0.

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1270+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

I love your comments! Truly!

Day Forty Six done! Day Forty Seven is coming up with three more days till I hit Fifty!!

Love you all... you just didn't know it!

-Shifty!
        Last edited by shifty1; 08-17-2011, 04:49 AM. Reason: Fitday numbers added
        Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Comment

Hey Shifty,

Just a thought, I don't know if you have access to a pool, lake, etc...But this would be a great way to get some resistance(a start to the lifting heavy things) training in. And it probably would make the heat a bit more bearable. Just simple movements under water(just above your shoulders). Moving your arms back and forth in front of you, straight leg kicks front to back and side to side, and running in place.

As for the protein powder. Maybe try cutting the dose in half and add something like spinach/kale, any leafy green, along with a handful of berries. I also add almond butter or avocado on occasion. Every once in a while I make my "Famous Breakfast shake" Avocado(don't know if they are available to you), 1/2 frozen banana(I always have a buch in the freezer), couple pieces of crispy bacon(yeah I know it sounds crazy, but man is it tasty!), and my protein powder. The avocado makes it really creamy. In a blender is the best way to go. Good on ya to sway from the diet coke(stuffs pure garbage):-) Stick with the H2O:-)

Hope today goes smoothly for ya. Chin up, and Grok On!

Cheers,
          Soccer Grok

Comment

Hey Shifty,

Just a thought, I don't know if you have access to a pool, lake, etc...But this would be a great way to get some resistance(a start to the lifting heavy things) training in. And it probably would make the heat a bit more bearable. Just simple movements under water(just above your shoulders). Moving your arms back and forth in front of you, straight leg kicks front to back and side to side, and running in place.
            Great idea. I know there is a public pool near me, I will have to check if there is a free swim time I can jump in there and get a little more active! I do walk for hours with a backpack thats heavier that me () so I know I have that part covered. I also found a rock climbing wall on the other side of town I would love to take a crack at!

As for the protein powder. Maybe try cutting the dose in half and add something like spinach/kale, any leafy green, along with a handful of berries. I also add almond butter or avocado on occasion. Every once in a while I make my "Famous Breakfast shake" Avocado(don't know if they are available to you), 1/2 frozen banana(I always have a buch in the freezer), couple pieces of crispy bacon(yeah I know it sounds crazy, but man is it tasty!), and my protein powder. The avocado makes it really creamy. In a blender is the best way to go. Good on ya to sway from the diet coke(stuffs pure garbage):-) Stick with the H2O:-)
            Totally agree with you about good old H2O... One glass of Diet Coke, and all I got out of it was feeling bad... so I'm back to water!
            I have bought a blender and am waiting for it to get here. Today I found some Almond Milk, so I was thinking about cutting the powder with that. I think I will be fine once I have something more in my stomach... then again, its been a few rough days, and I am still getting cramps over the whole coconut cream business... but every day it gets better!

Great ideas... Thanks SoccorGrok!

-Shifty

Comment

Day Forty Seven :

I was toast last night, and slept really well. I woke up really refreshed and ready. I totally skipped dinner, and I found myself not hungry at all.
              I had another one of my famous appointments, so I headed out, more walking After the meeting, I was walking past a supermarket and took a look around. I was able to find some dried cabana sticks which I grabbed. Its the closest thing I have seen to Jerkey. Im sure its not as primal as I would have liked, but it still gives me a few more options, which right now is what I am looking for.

As I headed back home, I walked past a public scale whihc I first stood on almost 50 days ago, and got inspired to do something about my body shape. Last time I stood on it, it read 110.6 kgs. This time it read 93.9 kgs! I had to get off and on like twice before accepting the messurment! (I also took a picture of the readout!) So in just under 50 days, I lost 16 kg! Amazing! I followed Griff's advice of not weighing myself and it really payed off. I think 50 day cycles is a cool idea. But on this one I might slide!

Headed back home, stopped in to a few places, and found some Almond Milk, so I grabbed some and now can add it into my rotation. It will help with my portion powder

Lunch passed by, and around 3pm I celebrated by going out and grabbing a shawama plate, which was basically grilled meat and salad. Normally it is eaten all stuffed into a pita bread, but the plate option was a good way to go. It was interesting, full of oil and it was not the meal I was hoping for, but it did fill me up. Got some protein out of it, but a good steak would go down really well. I did swing by the kitchen, and grabbed a peach for desert.

It was a simple day, some work on the computer, and thats about it. I am not really hungry, but my mind wants to eat. Its amazing how you can get used to doing something and miss it later on. I am still not comfortable missing more than two meals cause I dont want to start breaking down muscle. But I am really getting the hang of things.

Fitday numbers as always!
              Cals :1,674, Fats : 116.9, Carbs : 25.9 Protein : 127.5

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1270+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Forty Seven done! Day Forty Eight is coming up with two more days till I hit Fifty!!

- Shifty

Comment

Day Forty Eight :

Woke up with a really sore throat. I felt this a few days ago, but gargled some Apple cider vinegar and it disappeared. I guess with the long days this has creeped up. Im also sneezing a heap. As today has gone by, my head has started to throb. Any suggestions would be great. Im thinking about getting a cup of fresh orange juice sometime soon.

Slept on cause I was feeling flu-ish, then went to the office. My vacation, and all I have done is hid in the office. Not to cool. Once Im back to feeling better, I will venture out again!

Headed to the school for lunch, which was hamburgers, and cake! Had 5 hamburger patties and some salad, then ventured back to the office.

Stayed there till dinner, which was a tub of cottage cheese, then headed back to my room. Have a meeting at 9.30pm tonight, but all I want to do is sleep.

[Edit - After writing up this entry, I grabbed myself a large fresh orange juice. I drank half, then waited a few hours and watered the rest down and had it before going to sleep. I didn't feel to much of a insulin spike like I have in the past, and I definitely felt better in the morning!]

Here are my numbers for today! (Best I can do, I tried putting in exacts into fitday, but I guest-imated some of it!) [Added in Orange juice]
                Cals :1,383, Fats : 76.8, Carbs : 51.1 Protein : 118.1

Day Forty Eight done! Day Forty Nine is coming up with one more days till I hit Fifty!!

- Shifty
                Last edited by shifty1; 08-19-2011, 02:13 AM. Reason: Added in update!

Comment

Hey Shifty,
                  Sorry to hear about the cold...Yep, about the best thing for it is rest. Sometimes we all push a little too hard. Lots o green veggies seem to help me get out of it, and the meat of course:-) Might even consider a bit o exercise(sometimes a good sweat will purge it from our system). I have found, that since going Primal, I rarely get sick(mostly colds from not enough rest). Sleep is probably on of the biggest changes that has helped me. If I don't get 8-9hrs per night, I will get a nap(or even just lie down) for about 20-30 minutes to compensate. This really helps to charge the ol batteries:-) Hang in there pal, you'll knock it sooner than ya think.

Cheers,
                  Soccer Grok

Comment

Hey Shifty,
                    Sorry to hear about the cold...Yep, about the best thing for it is rest. Sometimes we all push a little too hard. Lots o green veggies seem to help me get out of it, and the meat of course:-) Might even consider a bit o exercise(sometimes a good sweat will purge it from our system). I have found, that since going Primal, I rarely get sick(mostly colds from not enough rest). Sleep is probably on of the biggest changes that has helped me. If I don't get 8-9hrs per night, I will get a nap(or even just lie down) for about 20-30 minutes to compensate. This really helps to charge the ol batteries:-) Hang in there pal, you'll knock it sooner than ya think.
                    Totally took your advice. Got a lot of rest, and spent a good part of saturday walking about, just getting this cold out of my system! Felt much better this morning. Definitely over the worst of it, but still have a scratchy throat... I'll be having an early night tonight!

Thanks for the advice!

-Shifty

Comment

• Went away for the sabbath, so her are my reports for Friday and Saturday!

Day Forty Nine :

Woke up and still felt really under the weather. I grabbed a orange juice the night before, and felt it gave me something, but when I work up, I felt like another 24 hours worth of sleep would have done me the world!

I grabbed my usual cottage cheese for breakfast, and then headed down to the office to check out the instruction for getting to where I was staying for the sabbath. I felt I needed to escape my usual digs, and I was headed for the burbs. Its amazing how a change of scenery can change just change up everything!

After getting the instructions, I packed my bag, grabbed my suit, and headed out of town. I skipped lunch, and grabbed a almond milk protein powder shake, knowing I was going to have the usual friday night big three course meal and went on my little adventure. I find that when my mind is busy on things, I forget to eat, Im not hungry ect. I use this to train myself not to eat just for the sake of eating. Cause Im a foodie, and I love to stimulate my taste buds!

DInner time came, and while it was a simple fair, it was great to sit at a family table. I did not mention being primal to my fiends, and I have a lot of faith in finding something I can eat, so I was not worried. This was really the first time I contemplated eating some bread, as its part of the religious aspect of the meal, and I did want to explain myself. In short, I felt embarrassed. So I sat there, and thought about the significance of being at the table, the day it was for me being primal, and plucked up the courage to explain why I was not having grains.

So for me, it was my version of a refeed weekend, and I grabbed a little hummus, some salad, two bowls of chicken soup and vegetables, and two pieces of chicken. Doesn't sound a lot, but it is a lot for me to eat now in one sitting. I also had desert to celebrate hitting 50 days. A small piece of chocolate mouse cake. And by small, it was tiny. But more than enough for me to enjoy, and not feel guilty! It was real nice, but also enough for me to quell my sweet tooth.

Here are my numbers for Friday!
                      Cals :785, Fats : 19.6, Carbs : 73.3 Protein : 75.9

Day Fifty!

When I started this journey, I honestly thought I would last maybe two weeks. To be able to sit here and write this into a blog that is shared by others on the same journey is an amazing feeling! Funny enough, its only now that i am sitting here writing about it did the achievement really hit me. Cause for me, day fifty was just another day....

Woke up early, 8am and headed off to get some things I needed done. It was a full morning, and I was happy for it to be over, cause I knew I had a big long lunch to chill out over. More down time with friends, and I get to eat and take my time. Its a cool thing.

Lunch was over three hours, and I was a guest of my friend at a friend of there, so it was really something nice and out of the ordinary. It was a little to long for me, and after it all I could hardly keep my eyes open. I was glad to get back to my friends and had three hour nap, before running ll over the burbs to attend a few more things I needed to do before the day was done. By this time I had lost my voice, and I knew this cold was kicking up in high gear. Even so, all the excursive was a good thing, and I did my best to burn it out.

Dinner was very light, and then I was on a bus back into town, another 45 minutes walk carrying all my gear, and then it was bedtime. Even with the four hours i got, I was out like a light, and felt better and refreshed this morning.

Here are my numbers for Saturday!
                      Cals :1,204, Fats : 76.9, Carbs : 45.0 Protein : 81.3

That was my Day Fifty... My trick now is not to let things get to loose. I have a habit of being really stricked, see results, then let them slide. I am determined not to let that happen again. My treat for my achievement has been the ticker I added to this thread, a constant reminder of what I have achieved in the last 50 days. I was planing to weigh myself every fifty days, but I might make it ever thirty. I like seeming my results.

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1300+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Forty Nine and Fifty done! Day Fifty One is coming up, now to work out whats next!

- Shifty

Comment

• Day Fifty One :

Woke up early today. Was up and about around 8.30 am which was a great change. Looking at two days in a row! In fact, I was able to head down and have breakfast with everyone else, which was my usual tub of cottage cheese. Then I was off for another meeting... This time I used the newly operating light rail, which meant walking to the station, a good 20 minutes, jumping onboard, and then hiking down the hill, which brought the number to 30 minutes. All this exercise adds to your day!

After the meeting I took myself off to the market and looked for some nuts so I could make my protein ball mix. I realise that its next to impossible to get blueberries here, so the numbers for carbs on these things must be off. Still I'm liking the results. Grabbed myself a big bottle of water, and I was golden.

Walking home (approx 45min -1 hour) I realised that I must be working threw my fat stores, cause I have been eating very little, and seem to have enough energy to keep going. Don't get me wrong, I have moments where I feel sluggish, not like I had boundless energy (all that sugar in the system?) but I can keep going. I feel it, but I don't run out of steam. If I pass myself, I'm golden

Back home, I made some protein balls (Im linking cooking, wish I had a hotplate), and lunch was three sticks of turkey jerky I bought to try. Not the greatest, the beef were better. Didn't feel hungry at all! so I didn't eat, just made sure I drank some.... Dinner was a piece of chicken, simply cause a friend of mine in the kitchen put it aside for me! After that I was full, and ht the office, before I head to bed!

Here are my numbers for today!
                        Cals :738, Fats : 28.1, Carbs : 22.3 Protein : 95.4

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1800+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Fifty One done! Day Fifty Two is coming up!! Days seem to fly by now!

- Shifty

Comment

• Day Fifty Two :

Not such a great day for me. Woke up late, but was kept up coughing all night by this bug thats been going around.
                          Woke up, grabbed the usual cottage cheese, but felt hungry. Went off to the tallest building near me to fly a kite for a few hours, which left me in the sun, and I was feeling more than just thirsty! Headed back home, and drank for a while...

Lunch was a meat salad that I went out for, and even after that, I was still hungry. Went back home, ate two protein balls, and then headed back out to the office. After a few hours, I went off to find some jerky, and ate three sticks. Even then I was not really feeling full, so when dinner came I grabbed another tub of cottage cheese and a beer. It was one of those days.

Im guessing I am filling extra hungry cause of the cold, and I must be needed the extra food cause I feel it. Normally I am fine, today all I have been doing is feeding. I'm not sure if I will have more tonight, but I wont be surprised. Be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Cals :1,698, Fats : 91.3, Carbs : 79.5 Protein : 122.2

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1800+ views, I know someone is looking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Fifty Two done! Day Fifty Three is coming up!! Wow!

- Shifty

Comment

• Hey SHifty,

Sounds like you are doing great(aside from the pain in the ass cough). I don't know if you have access to an oven to bake, but I have a great recipe for protein muffins. I can eat 1 or 2 of these and go for quite some time. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

3 cups of nuts (mixture of whatever you like, or have access to)
                            1/2 cup Pumpkin seeds
                            1 cup pitted dates, or even dried pineapple or mango(these both have lower sugar than the dates)
                            1/2 cup dried cranberries
                            Juice from 1 lemon
                            1-2 tbsp lemon zest
                            1/2 cup coconut flakes
                            1-2 tbsp ginger(chopped or grated)
                            1/3 cup almond flour
                            2 eggs
                            1/8 tsp baking soda
                            1/8 tsp baking powder
                            1/4 cup molasses(i prefer using almond butter)
                            1 tsp vanilla
                            1 tsp ground cinnamon
                            1 tsp ground Nutmeg
                            I also like to add dark chocolate chips...Added bonus:-)
                            Preheat oven to 325. Grease muffin pan(i use coconut oil for this). If you don't have a muffin pan, you can use a cookie sheet and just make a flat sheet and cut into squares when cooled.

Mix nuts/dates(or mango, pineapple) in a food processor, or blender if you don't have a processor. Chop until the mixture is chopped, but not too fine. Pour into a bowl, then add the other ingredients and mix well. This usually makes about 10-12 muffins. Scoop into tray, and bake until tops are brown(about 20-25 minutes). Let cool, eat and enjoy.

I hope this finds you well, and that you can make them. They keep for quite a while as well.

On another note, a little tequila/lime might help with that cough;-) In Mexico, that was the cure for everything!

Cheers, and Grok on!

Soccer Grok

Comment

• Soccergrok....

I'm printing out the ingredients list, and going to work on getting these made by the end of the week. Thanks, I'll let you know how I do

-Shifty

Comment

• Day Fifty Three :

Woke up early again, but spent some time in bed just enjoying not having to run out of bed. Took out some serious time to just think about everything thats been going on. It was a nice change.

Got up, grabbed a tub of cottage cheese and realised that I was really hungry. Had some housekeeping to do before grabbing my computer and heading down to the office to check on email and the likes. I stayed there till 1am, when I was going to catch up with an old friend, so I headed back to the dorm, made myself a almond milk protein shake with a shot of coconut oil, and headed off.

As I left the old city I saw the new trams running, and legged it double time to catch it simply cause I was late. I was surprised that I made it in time, but I also smiled at the idea that I sprinted all out, and got some sprints in I have been really trying to get more active, and here I was doing it without trying. I realised I need to get out into the world more....

I wasn't planing on getting any lunch, but my friend and I ended up at a cafe, and they had Onion soup on the menu, so I could not help myself. Passed on the dips and the bread, but enjoyed a big bowl of soup. Its funny how you forget what you really enjoy. A plate of soup is one of those things I used to take for granted.

After lunch, we headed to the park, and I tried out a new kite I bought. I had fun running from one side to the other, trying to get the kite to stay in the air. This is the second time I have been hampered by a weird crosswind that seems to blow my kite out of the air. Next time I will try it off the roof again... By the time I was finished, I had a great swea built up, and the walk home showed me I was a little sore, but all in all, a very nice way to spend the day.

Back to the office, some research done,and I hit the kitchen to see what I could have for dinner. Some beef spareribs were on offer as leftovers, and I grabbed a few of the bigger pieces. The biggest was more fat than meat, and for the life of me, I could not eat it! I guess it was my mothers voice that always told me to cut the fat away. It was cold, so the texture really turned me off. Something to work on.

So that was my day. I think I am good till tomorrow, where I am heading off to visit people in another town. Lots of activity coming around.

Cals :1,613, Fats : 81.3, Carbs : 97.4 Protein : 122.6

The Onion soup blew out my carbs for the day, but then again, maybe I needed it cause of the cold. It was a nice change, but not everyday!

Day Fifty Three done! Day Fifty Four is coming up!! Amazing!

- Shifty

Comment

Working...
                                X