Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First day in, killer headache, but thats day one down!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Thirty Five :

Had a nice sleep in, but felt run down and exhausted. For breakfast I grabbed a can of coconut cream, and drank half. It wasn't long till I felt full, and had a heap of energy! I put the other half in the school fridge for tomorrow morning.

I had the day to myself, but it was full of stress simply cause the place I am staying at is falling apart. We are a few days before the end of semester and as dorm head I have to deal with such silly things it became a day full of distraction. From the office back to the dorm it was one even after another. By the time lunch rolled in I was happy to grab a plate of salad and just sit by myself! It didn't fell me up, but to be honest I wanted some time to myself. I also remember the discussion I had with DkD so I grabbed a small tub of cottage cheese and ate that as well.

More shenanigans in the dorm kept me busy till dinner time, and as it was the start of the Sabbath I was really glad to be able to get some rest. One of the cool things about the Sabbath is that all weekday decrees are null and void, and it meant we were served meat for the first time in a week. Worked well with me, and I helped myself to fish salad, chicken soup, chick and meat! I really ate it up! I don't think I have eaten that much since I started living Primally!

So yesterdays fitday results were :
    Cals : 2,434, Fats : 151.1, Carbs : 71.8, Protein : 199.4.

Huge numbers for me! I guess this means I start the Ketosis process again huh? I guess eating big once in a while is not so bad, but I got to say, I feel bad about it. Its like I cheated or something....

Day Thirty Six :

Slept really well. I must have needed it, cause I went to bed right after dinner (approx 10pm) and woke up at 11am in the morning! And it helped too. i really was struggling to get up and out of bed, but today I felt great! I didn't know if it was all the food, or the sleep but it all agreed with me!

Got up and went straight to lunch, which was some leftover chicken and beef. Normally its a mixture of beens and potatoes, but a friend of mine snagged me some leftovers. What can I say, the perks of being primal!

I spent most of the day in bed resting up and reading, and it was a good thing, cause the more I did it, the better I felt. Finished four books, and started looking over PB again! I have not had such a lazy day in a long time! During this time I started feeling hungry, so I finished the rest of my coconut cream, and had two protein balls for desert!

Dinner was a tub of cottage cheese, then my friend found another piece of chicken! It was more than enough for me, and tomorrow I go back to no meat for another three days. This break was just what I needed. I wish I could eat like this everyday, but first I need to shed some more fat!

So todays fitday numbers are :
    Cals : 2,343, Fats : 137.1, Carbs : 44.2, Protein : 232.2.

Much better to what I want them to be. Carbs under 50 grams, and lots of protein. I know its a one of situation, but it seems to do the trick!

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1000+ views, I know someone is lookking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Thirty Five and Six done! Day Thirty Seven is coming up fast!

Love you all... you just didn't know it!

-Shifty!
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Starting weight - 2.11.13 - 96 kg
    Starting measurement - waist - 116cm
    Numbers change every 50 days

Comment

Day Thirty Seven :

After sleeping all day yesterday, I found myself sleepless when night actually came about! Gosh darn it. So I got to bed around two am, and didnt fall asleep till past 4, but I was up at 9am, and I felt tired! I wonder why!

Hit class, and then grabbed some cottage cheese for a late morning breakfast. There was also some soup on offer, and I grabbed myself a cup. I didn't think about it till after, it was split pea soup, and it was only when I put it into fitday did I realise that it was carb heavy. Another lesson to be learnt! Im learning allot by trial and error, but Im starting to dread eating things I don't know the value of.

I skipped lunch, had my usual two protein balls, and then headed for my last class this semester in one of my subjects. Around 5 pm I started feeling hungry, so I grabbed some fish salad and had a plate full. Only after leaving did I remember that tomorrow starts a full fast day (no water no food for 24 hours) so I went back to the kitchen and grabbed some cheese and salad.

Thats when it happened.

As I have been writing about, I seem to be feeling highs and lows and today was a low day. As I walked out of the fridge in the kitchen, I snagged a piece of cooking chocolate, and ate it. It was only after I swallowed the chocolate did I realise what I did, and for the last few hours have been going threw a wonderful sugar crash. If anything, its shown me what my system does when it has to much sugar, and now I realise that with the wine I consume on friday nights, I seem to be going in a roller coaster insulin spike. Probably not the best ting to do the day before the fast!

I really need to find more primal foods that I can store up.

Alright, here are todays fitday results!
      Cals : 1,247, Fats : 55.0, Carbs : 86.5, Protein : 106.0.

The pea soup really threw me out of whack today, and the rest of the numbers seem to reflect that. I think I started slowing down what I ate simply cause I wanted to keep my carbs low. Not a great day, but I will grab some coconut oil tomorrow and get my levels up. I'm also rededicating myself, no more sugar slips... Not till I have the body mass lower, and no headaches!

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1000+ views, I know someone is lookking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Thirty Seven done! Day Thirty Eight is coming up!

-Shifty!
      Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Comment

Day Thirty Eight :

LAte night, late morning rise, and I rushed off to my last class this semester. On the way I grabbed two tubs of cottage cheese, and ate 1 and a half before giving up. I was listening to my body, and didn't force things. I have to add more stuff to cottage cheese though, its getting boring right now!

Passed on lunch, but grabbed two bowls of vegetable broth, and headed back to my room to start drinking as much water as I could stand. As I have a 25 hour fast that starts tonight, I wanted to hydrate as much as possible. It also took the edge off my hunger.

I grabbed a few of my protein balls for dessert, and ended up eating tomorrow today! :P My bad, but better than chocolate!

Dinner for everyone before the fast started was rice with soya and vegetables in some chemical muck, so I grabbed myself the last of my chopped vegetables, two eggs and made myself a veggie omelette made with love and coconut oil! Almost instantly i felt full, but had two hardboiled eggs to chase them down.

Then it was time to pay my respects, head out with the masses, and write in my journal. Im not hungry, but that needing to drink water feeling is creeping up... <sigh>

Here's todays fitday results!
        Cals : 1,521, Fats : 110.8, Carbs : 62.7, Protein : 82.6.

Carbs are a little over but all in all manageable. I thought I would be way over as I felt like I was packing it in cause of the fast, but it looks OK. I can get back to eating meat after sundown tomorrow so I am thinking a stake, or at least a plate of grilled meats! I already know its Pasta night for everyone else, so eating out will be the best bet!

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1270+ views, I know someone is lookking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Thirty Eight done! Day Thirty Nine is coming up! Fifty is just around the corner... How to celebrate it??? Speak up!

-Shifty!

Comment

Day Thirty Nine :

Fast day today... all up 25 hours.

I wont say I was not a little concerned. I don't fast well, and with no water, and no food, I thought I would fall over. How wrong I was.

This whole day has really reinforced the principles that Mark writes about. My last meal was my version of a primal veggie omelette made with coconut oil. I didn't think it was going to be enough. It was more than enough. I did not find myself hungry at all, in fact when the fast finished, everyone was running downstairs to drink chocolate milk, and eat pasta and cake, and I leisurely walked back to my room, stopped off to talk to some people, then made myself another primal veggie omelette. Sipped some water, and I was good.

What really surprised me was the fast that with my blood sugars not spiking, I seemed to have a level playing field that most of my friends seemed to suffer from. Sure I was a little light headed, and would have liked a sip of water, but I was not craving, my body was not screaming out like I was seeing the others go through. It was a very nice change, and I can see why people use intermittent fasting as a method of loosing weight!

This whole experience has again reinforced the idea of being Primal. So far I have drunk maybe half a litre of water, and a three egg omelette, and I am ready to call it a day. I'll drink when I need to, but I feel that Im not going to wake up starving!

My fasting fitday numbers are :
          Cals : 447, Fats : 40.8, Carbs : 3, Protein : 19.5.

Total fast day, but with the carb heavy days I had before I'm not to worried. I'm sure I will make it up in the days to come!

Please, if you spot something I could be doing better, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I am asking, and with around 1270+ views, I know someone is lookking at these posts, so anything you can share will be eagerly appreciated! As mentioned before, I would love any advice, words, anything that would make this go as quickly and honestly as possible.

Day Thirty Nine done! Day Forty is coming up! Fifty is just around the corner... How to celebrate it??? Speak up!

-Shifty!

Comment

Day Forty :

I guess I had a lift in my sugar levels, cause I had another very late night, even thought I was in bed by 12am. It took me till 4 am to get to sleep,, so things just really stumped me. I thought it might be the food, so I took two melatonine tablets as I was heading to bed. Didn't help.
            Do you have any primal tips on how to get to sleep? I could really use any suggestions right about now!

Got up at my usual time, and found that I was a little thirsty, but that was all. I was planing to have a full day so I grabbed some cottage cheese and headed for my first meeting. I then had a run around in the heat for a few hours in the middle of the day. Plenty of exercise going up and down stairs! By lunch time, I was feeling a little light headed, and head over to see what was on offer. As we could now eat meat, chick was on offer, roasted and very nice. I ate away, eating almost a full chicken for lunch! I felt full and good, thinking that Grok would have done the same thing.

More running around after lunch, and then off to another job. By the time I sat down for dinner, I was in shock. It was fried chicken nuggets, and there was no way I was going to eat that! Luckily my roommate was in the kitchen, and heated up some left over chicken for me! It was an all protein day here, with very little carbs and a little bit of fat! I did grab a peach for desert, with no guilt that I would go over my carb limit for the day.

Going to try and track down some protein powder tomorrow. I am so hanging out for Protein powder pancakes!

Here are my fitday numbers for this unusual day :
            Cals : 3,386, Fats : 130.5, Carbs : 14.8, Protein : 506.8.

Day Forty done! Day Forty One is coming up with nine more days till I hit Fifty!!

-Shifty!

Comment

Day Forty One :

We are on holidays right now, so I work up to a room baron of everyone except myself! Was amazing, and I was surprised that I was up early this morning! I hope to use the time so I can readjust my sleep habits.

Got up this morning and had a few chores to run, so I grabbed a tun of cottage cheese and ran out the door. Today I really didnt feel hungrey at all, and found myself eating simply cause I knew I wanted to get something in me and try to reach safe levels in both fats and protien. More Protin.

As the day wore on, I grabbed a tub of greek yogurt, and finished it off. That was lunch, and I continued across the city getting all those things done that you need too. The great news is that I was able to get some stiva, and protein powder! That with a personal blender that I ordered from the US should give me a little more variety in my day!

Dinner was some protein powder and milk that I grabbed. I know that dairy is a no no but the idea now is to see how my body reacts. Only a few hours since I ate, and I notice I am a little gassy. I do love cheese, but I shall see how it goes. I also ate some sliced tomato and two hotdogs that were left for me. It was a grazing kinda day.

I surprised myself when I put all these things into fitday. I thought I would be way under, but here are the numbers!
              Cals : 1,208, Fats : 64.1, Carbs : 57.1, Protein : 97.0.

Guess I'm still under, and needed a little more fats. If I don't eat more fats during the day, does my body use my fat stored, or break down protein first to get energy? Still would love to hear about your ideas about getting a good night sleep!

Day Forty One done! Day Forty Two is coming up with eight more days till I hit Fifty!!

-Shifty!

Comment

Day Forty Two :

First real day of vacation, and I wanted to to do something special, so I went with a few friends and gronked it all day!
                Woke up in the morning, and grabbed some leftover beef shanks for breakfast. I also grabbed some protein powder, mixed it with water, and ran out the door to meet up with the boys, as we headed out to the desert and some hot weather hiking.

Getting to the desert, we headed up a hill, that was more like a mountain. I grabbed two liters of water and no snacks, so I just kept pushing all morning. One we were up it was a great feeling, but the sun was taking its toll, so we headed down to an oasis. I kept remembering Marks description about a day in the life of Grok, how he would find a cold water pool, wash, the laze in the sun! And thats just what I did. I could not get more primal, as cold water fish nibbled at my feet, eating the dead skin away. A Primal manicure! Took me some time to get use to but at the end it was great! The water was cold and refreshing, and I found myself falling asleep in the sun. It was a total grok experience, and after half ann hour, we headed up another mountain, working our way down the cliff face.

By the time we finished, my head was spinning a little, and we hit another watering hole. By then we head to head home, so we had to walk up another mountain to get back to the car. It was hard work, but at no time did I feel out of energy, or hungry, even when pizza and rolls were handed around. Sure I wanted an ice cream at the end of it, and it was hard to walk away from it, but I keep on track.

I headed back to town, being dropped off at where I was having dinner, showered, dressed, sat on the couch, and was out like a light!!!! I could not keep my eyes open! Amazing! I would have loved to sleep right there and them, but we headed out to prayers, the a big dinner. Lots of veggies and chicken, and I ate till I didn't feel hungry at all. Then to top it off I walked home, another 45 minutes!

Great day! I forgot how much I missed nature... I wish I could do this every week. I felt more connected than I have in the last year! When I hit my pillow that night, I slept long and hard... We truly were designed for this!

Here are my fitday numbers for Friday:
                Cals : 3,039, Fats : 92.0, Carbs : 69.7, Protein : 440.8.

Still getting used to the protein powder. Im wondering, if I eat and realise I am low on protein, can I use it at night and bump the numbers? Is that a good way to use it, or is it best use in the morning?

Day Forty Three :

Slept in late, and woke up feeling great! After dressing, I headed out to lunch cause it was lunchtime!
                Had lunch with friends, a big heavy lunch and the day was filled with eating.
                Three hour lunch with friends, and at the end I had a sliver of chocolate cake, and some cream made home ice cream. Amazingly sweet, but I didn't seem to feel the sugar rush like last time. Must have been the wine I had earlier...
                Dinner was some veggies and chicken, and a spoonful of Hummus...

Very lazy day. I feel full and happy. I hate putting the day into fitday, but here are the numbers...

Cals : 2,143, Fats : 96.6, Carbs : 90.4, Protein : 219.4.

Tomorrow I get stricked again. I will see what things are like with sugar cravings. I think I got it covered, and I can always use the steva. Also looking for a good protein powder recipe for pancakes... Arrhh...

And someone say hello... Its been a while since anyone has commented... Did I loose you all?

Day Forty Three done! Day Forty Four is coming up with six more days till I hit Fifty!!

-Shifty!

Comment

I just read the last couple of pages of your journal. It sounds like you're doing great. Obviously you just needed more fresh air to help you sleep. Your day out hiking sounded amazing.
                  Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                  Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                  CW: 146.8 lbs
                  GW 140 lbs
                  A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Hello!!
                    Nice record of how you are doing. Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping, if I have a cup of herbal tea (no caffeine) with coconut milk it really makes a difference. I usually do this about an hour before I actually plan on falling asleep. Also, if I eat anything with in two hours or so of bed time I can't sleep. Keeps me awake for hours. Having a set bed time helps me too. I try to go to bed by 10pm. This doesn't always happen, but I ball park it. I wake up pretty much at the same time every morning. (Its so annoying on weekends!) It doesn't really matter what time I go to sleep I am usually up at 6am. If I am really sick sometimes I can manage to sleep in until 7am. I know the life of a student make a set bedtime hard, but I have noticed a definite improvement from it.

I use protein powder as a meal replacement when I have really limited time and I can't eat any real meat, if I am really craving ice-cream (I make a smoothie), or after a weight lifting workout. I think it really depends on what kind of protein powder you have and how often you use it. I don't think it is going to hurt you whenever you use it, as long as its not excessive.

I hope this helps ^^
                    Height: 5'2"
                    Starting weight: 180lbs
                    Current weight 130lbs

Comment

Thanks for the notes both Nix and Belinda.. Nice to know someone has been looking at this

I'll try your recomendations Nix. Let you know how it goes in the posts...

-Shifty

Comment

Have you tried Magnesium before bed? I use Mg oil on my skin, but lots of people have success using Natural Calm magnesium to help them sleep.

Other than the sleep - sounds like you are doing great - keep it up!
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Day Forty Four :

Had a lot on my mind, and therefor had some disturbed rest.

Got up at my usual time, skipped breakfast, and hit the bus/walk scene to pick up some things I had left at a friend lace over the weekend.
                          It was hard going, as I felt my fatigue, and made it back for lunch, which was chicken wings. & wings later, I left the table, not really feeling any better or worse for it. I thought it would give me some energy, or at least fats to work off.

I hit my room, got a call, and found that I could finally pick up my bar fridge! Realising I would be lugging it through the streets, I grabbed a can of coconut cream, mixed in some protein powder, and drank it all. BIG MISTAKE! About ten minutes later, I felt sick to my stomach, which I still fell now almost 7 hours later. The bus trip didn't help, and by the time I got the fridge, I decided to grab a taxi back.

Cleaned the fridge, and moved it into my room. Waiting for it to chill, and will starts filling it with food, that right now I don't really want to eat! I think I will grab some peppermint tea to try and settle my stomach! I really need some pointers about using this stuff. I think another bout of nausea may turn me away from coconut altogether.

I dont think I will eat anything else today. After posting this, Im heading to bed.

Here are my fitday numbers for this nausea laden day :
                          Cals : 1,694, Fats : 118.1, Carbs : 59.2, Protein : 118.5.

OK.. Im off to throw up....

Day Forty Four done! Day Forty Five is coming up with five more days till I hit Fifty!!

-Shifty!

Comment

Hey Shifty.

I am on day two and feel the sugar cravings hard! I just read all your entries and it is great to know I am not the only one! Thanks for the inspiration!
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36071.html

Comment

Originally posted by gritty View Post
                              Hey Shifty.

I am on day two and feel the sugar cravings hard! I just read all your entries and it is great to know I am not the only one! Thanks for the inspiration!
                              Keep going Gritty. The cravings do pass. You'll start feeling it by the end of your first week. Glad this record can help.

-Shifty

Comment

Day Forty Five :

... Really continued on from day Forty Four. Last night was a rough one, with the coconut oil making me sick into the early hours of the morning. I was hoping that I would be able to tough it out and wake up feeling better. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I did try drinking some apple cider vinegar and water to try and settle things down, but was woken up at around 1am just feeling ill to my stomach.

At 3 am I grabbed some peppermint tea, drank two mugs full, and then was in a position to be able to remove the coconut oil from my stomach. I didn't think I have ever been so violently ill before. But once done, I was fast asleep very quickly. Avoid poisonous things just took a whole new meaning.

So without saying, this morning was exhausting and sluggish. I did grab some cottage cheese, and ate that, but for the most didn't have anything else.
                                Around 3 pm I fried up some eggs in butter, and after eating that felt much better. I also ate a scoop of protein powder just for something sweet. Although I am finding it a little to sweet at times.

Ups and down. I think I got my measurements wrong in fitday, but I'm going to post them up here anyway. I seem to get a very large number of calories from one tablespoon of protein powder. Maybe I entered it wrong? Im also getting frustrated with results. I'm not to sure how much weight I should loose, I have definitely lost some, but then I want it all off now! Grrr...

Here are my fitday numbers for this nausea laden day :
                                Cals : 2,214, Fats : 41.9, Carbs : 27.9 Protein : 384.8.

Totally cant be right! Can I get that many cals form a spoon full of protein powder?

Day Forty Five done! Day Forty Six is coming up with four more days till I hit Fifty!!

-Shifty!

Comment

Working...
                                X