Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First day in, killer headache, but thats day one down!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys....

Sorry to have kept you all out of the loop for the last few weeks! I was out in an area with no Internet connection, and I got to be honest, it was hard keeping primal there, but I was able to do it Right now I am it he international area of an airport, about to head back to Melbourne Australia for a few weeks to attend my sisters wedding, so I thought I would jump on and say hello!

Shifty is still around, and in a few days time, I will post you an update, and pick up the log....

It's been an ausome ride, not looking forward to two full days locked up in a tin can, but it's the only way to fly..

Keep gronking it...

Love you all...

- Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Starting weight - 2.11.13 - 96 kg
    Starting measurement - waist - 116cm
    Numbers change every 50 days

Comment

• Very useful article,definitely will be helpful.Thanks

Comment

• And... after to long away from MDA, Im back.

A quick update about whats been going on in Shifty's life, and how it affected my primal journey.

I went home, spent three weeks there, celebrating my sisters wedding, and then jumped back on a plane back to Israel. Somewhere along the way, I got it in my head that I could take a short break, and then get back on the Primal bandwagon. One day became two, two became a week, and a week became a month!

On the emotional side of things, I found it hard to get back to learning, and one of my escapes was to eat! The more I ate, the worse I felt, and I happened to head back when deep fried donuts were on offer for a festival here. Im not proud to say that I fell off the wagon big time, and I went backwards.

Yesterday was my birthday, and while I am not as bad as I was when I stared, I know I that I definitely did trip myself up.
        Today is a fast day, and a great way to start getting back on the primal lifestyle again. I'm missing out on to much to mix things up...

I thought I could live without writing up what I was eating everyday, and that just lead to me falling off the wagon.
        So here I am again... I think I learnt my lesson.

Looking forward to the carb flu.... Means I'm back on track.

See you tomorrow...

-Shifty
        Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Comment

• hey welcome back! I was thinking about your thread recently and wondered how you've been doing. Glad to see that you're still kicking, even if you missed hopping back on the wagon a few times
          Depression Lies

Comment

• Welcome back Shifty...Remember, don't stress it, just come on back. Not a Diet, a LIFESTYLE. You'll get to how you were before you know it. May the Grok be with you:-)

Coach SoccerGrok
            Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

• Day Two (Take Two) :

Alright, so yesterday was a fast day fro me, which meant no food or water from sunup to sundown. I was expecting major food cravings as I ate way to much the day before, and the wrong foods as well. (Two falafel made that day the worst I have had Primally!) To my surprise, the day coasted by. I was a little thirsty, but all in all, when I broke the fast, I was not out of control, or hungry.

Dinner for me was : three slices of beef, three pieces of potato, a piece of fish, and a handful of pineapple pieces. I did pick at the top of a piece of cake for about 10 minutes, eating the top of the cake, but not the rest. It could have been a lot worse, but no excuses. After months of eating sugar, a taste was a step in the right direction.

After dinner I was off on a 40 minute walk, and still feeling peckish, I picked up a bag of pistachio nuts, and I was satisfied for the rest of the night.

Not a bad start, now I need to keep the momentum going. Tonight is the sabbath, and its a "food" event. Need to pick what I can have, and stay away from the rest.

I also had a huge revelation when I went through "falling off the wagon." Every time I ate something I knew I shouldn't, I felt terrible, then ate more to feel better, and the cycle continued. For some reason, I have this idea that if put something like flour in my mouth, I will blow up to a 140kg fatso in an evening. Its like there a huge cycle of shame there, that feeds into the negative behaviour. Its almost an instant reason to fail. I need to find a strategy to deal with this. After care on the whole body image thing... If anyone has any ideas, links, ect... Please let me know.

Thanks it for this week. I will report in after the sabbath and let everyone know how the weekend went.

Its really great to be back. And great to be welcomed back

Love you all all, you just didnt know it...

-Shifty

Comment

• Hey Shifty, Welcome Back!

I did the Leptin Reset back in September. Big protein breakfast (within 30 minutes of waking), low carb, three meals a day, no snacks. Last meal 4 or so hours before bedtime. It really helped with the cravings and the no snacking rule makes you wait until the next meal so it retrains you to not eat constantly. I highly recommend it, that and adding some coconut oil to your diet.

Ferti

Comment

• Day Three (Take Two) :

Started my day with two tubs of cottage cheese, and skipped lunch all together.

Ended up walking to my friends place for dinner, which was amazing, he is totally blessed with an amazing wife who cooks like a chef!
                  As much as I wanted to, I did end up having a slice of homemade bread, along with soup (amazing what home made soup can taste like), salad and beef strips for dinner! I ate till I was full, then took a 40+ minute walk home in the cold. Was great to get out and exercise after eating so well.

I always feel guilty eating alot, but then remind myself I had not eaten that day, drank a gallon of water, and felt full! I bet if I actually kept track of what I ate, it would be far less than I thought. Went to bed feeling great!

Only let down was the bread. Still aiming to be wheat free again.

Day Four (Take Two) :

I actually spent the day sleeping, getting up for lunch, which was salads and some chicken, then slept the afternoon away. This didn't help at night, simply cause I was not tiered, so I was up all Saturday night.

Almost got away with the day wheat free, but had a small piece of cake when I missed dinner and realised that was the only thing on offer. By then I was really hungry, and I didn't have anything else to turn to. Still trying to get access back to the schools kitchen (new chef change when I was away) so it makes things tuff.

I did have a late snake of two fried eggs and onions in coconut oil in the evening. Nicest meal I had the whole day!

Getting better... Getting closer... Will be wheat free again in no time!

Love you all, you just didnt know it....

-Shifty

Comment

• Day Five, Six and Seven (Take Two):

I have been ill with the flu for the last few days. My diet has been liquids mostly, as I have been having trouble keeping things down.
                    Finally been able to get out of bed.

Have more exciting news once my system settles down... Do I really need to count these days?

-Shifty

Comment

• Count them as fasting days:-) You can do it!
                      Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

• Day Eight (Take Two) :

Started feeling better today. Started eating some solids and keeping them down. Still not eating correctly. Could only find some bread, and had a slice as a test to see if I could keep it down. Also had a bowl of soup...

Other than that, it was a fast day...

Day Nine (Take Two) :

Have not eaten anything today, and will be heading out tonight over the sabbath. I will try my best to eat a normal meal without overeating. Other than that, I have been eating some cottage cheese.

Being ill has not been the greatest... I'll be heading home in a month, which means that being Primal will be a lot easier.

See you after the weekend.

Love you all, you just didn't know it...

-Shifty

Comment

• Day Ten (Take Two):

Total refed days. Dinner was more food than I normally ever eat, but given the fact that I had not eaten all day, nor normally for the last few days, I don't think it took a lot to fill me up.

Friday night dinner consisted of : Soup, chicken loaf, butternut, zucchinis and some wine. Amazing meal. I went straight into a food coma after eating, in fact my host was worried about me, asking if I was ok. Must have been the release of insulin after a day of not eating. Not sure if thats a good sign or not.

Today was lunch at another friends house. Beef broth (this was a total highlight!), and lean chicken on skewers with some salad was pure heaven. I even had some oat bread to go along with it, simply cause they made it for me not realising that oats were out too. After all that trouble, how could I say no.

Dinner was extremely light, salad and olives with some vine leaves. Then I headed home.

Between yesterday and today, I got at least two hours walking in. Shame it was in the rain, but it was still great to be on my feet again.

Looking forward to what the week has in store. Going to try any get on the running machine here and get some laps in. When I get home, I have three month to get back to fighting condition before I have a physical to get a new job!

Love you all, you just didnt know it....

-Shifty

Comment

• Day Eleven (Take Two)

Seems like I keep missing my daytime meals and only eat at night.
                            Today my first attempt at a meal was at lunchtime, but the only thing being served was pasta, and I completely passed on it, and had some cottage cheese. Was all good, but about an hour later, I seemed to explode! Not pretty. I wonder if its to much dairy! Lets see what happened tomorrow.

I ended up working a function, and they fed us before the event, so I had broiled steak and chicken! Amazing! After three pieces, I was totally full, and not even slightly hungry. I worked 5 hours straight, so I was on my feet. Great exercise! And had more than a few people make comments to me like "Best dressed guy here", "Your looking great", and "Man, you lost some weight!" All in all it was a good day...

Love you all... You just didn't know it....

-Shifty

Comment

• Read your story from start to finish and think it's fantastic how you have stuck to this and let everyone be a part of it. after reading it all my only comment would be that if your not seeing the results your looking for, why keep doing the same thing? even a small change might bring you huge differences. I think i would make some changes and try something for a set period like 14 or 21 days and gauge results against what you've seen historically in your blog here. I'm no expert so take my opinion with a grain of salt but ditch the cottage cheese for a few weeks and get a little more strict on the "lapses" in diet. just for a few weeks as a little experiment. maybe the results you get will be the motivator you are looking for.

Again thanks for posting all this, it's very inspiring to read.

Comment

• Hi Boomer...

Thanks for the comments and the feedback!

I think your totally on the right track, and it is taken under advisement! The hardest part of being Primal where I am right now is just access to a kitchen. Thats the biggest holdback. Not being able to prepare your own food means I am kinda at the mercy of what I can scrounge! Thats fine for a short period of time, but what I have found is that for long extended periods of time, I keep falling off the wagon, simply cause I cant mix up my variety, or enough of the foods I can get ahold of. Cottage cheese seems to be one of the few things I can get to, and believe me, after five months, if I never eat cottage cheese again, it would be to soon!

Given that will not be a issue soon, I just need to do the best I can without falling to much. Today was not a great day, but tomorrow is another chance.

Originally posted by boomer453 View Post
                                Read your story from start to finish and think it's fantastic how you have stuck to this and let everyone be a part of it. after reading it all my only comment would be that if your not seeing the results your looking for, why keep doing the same thing? even a small change might bring you huge differences.
                                Can you suggest something that stuck out for you that you would change if this is what your doing? I find that I still get confused about what could be the best thing for me to eat. Like I mentioned before, I have this idea that I'll swell up if I eat the wrong thing. I know its crazy, but its a slippery slope!

Love any ideas you have...

Thanks again...

-Shifty

Comment

Working...
                                X