No announcement yet.

Hello - need some of your wisdom here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - need some of your wisdom here!

Hey folks

I am writing from the UK and have been trying to stick to a primal way of eating for two months now. I am 32, 5'5 and 185 lbs or 84kgs. And this is what I was when I started too…and I am starting to get frustrated. My measurements have gone down maybe 1 or 2 cms around the belly and waist..nothing much.

By way of background I started paleo when I was off work with a broken foot - 9 weeks in a non-weight bearing cast…nightmare! and then a couple of weeks of limping like a fool! So I went from being pretty active, running, lifting weights, mma…to sitting on my ass. Luckily I didn't put much weight on - maybe 4 lbs over the entire period. Even now I can't quite do what I was because I still can't run and am on light duties at work so I am very sedentary. But I am cycling and trying to get to the gym and lift heavy stuff. I do need to do more but my stamina needs building up.

In all honesty my diet wasn't terrible anyway by CW terms. In November I represented where I work in a boxing match. I was 79 kgs and living off 6 meals a day, mainly of chicken and veg. I was training hard and the fittest I had ever been. I relaxed a little bit afterwards but my carbs in terms of pasta, rice and bread were never very high. Fruit…maybe a little higher than paleo would reccomend but still not mega amounts. Most of the time the 'bad' foods were me snaffling a bite off my boyfriend's biscuit, sandwich etc but the weight still didn't drop. And I have always been fat. Even with all of that training I didn't melt away!

I do know that in the last week or so I have relaxed from primal a little because I have been fed up. And I am going to try and reel it in and tighten it up. Even then it wasn't crazy - a cheese and ham toasted sandwich, a little bread here and there but really nothing much. I don't drink much but when I do stick to bourbon and diet coke, very very rarely beer.

What do I want? Be healthy, be fit, be strong, lose weight. I am carrying weight in my belly and on my thighs. My waist is reasonably slim. I am not fixated on the scales but in the same way - my shape hasn't changed yet. I know that now I can start being a bit more active, foot allowing and I have read and understand the grok style fitness. I have limited my fruit and stopped snacking on it. I log my food on livestrong and mostly hit around 1600 cal and and trying to get that balance of under 100g carbs, 60% fat and the rest in meat/protein. It does vary and I am going to try and regulate it a bit although I am IF several times a week. I was hoping if I logged a few days on here you folks might critique me and see where I am going wrong? I would so appreciate your advice. I see the size of my mum and the state of her health and she frightens me. I don't want that. I want healthy living.

Thanks.

Have you be IF'ing all along? If so, you might want to cut that out and see if you do better on three meals (including a fairly early, high protein breakfast). IF doesn't benefit everyone.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Hi Belinda - I guess I did start quite soon. Perhaps I shall go back to eating 3 meals. I was finding it practical when I was on an early shift at work. I am still on recuperative duties so my shifts have been shorter which meant I was not worrying about eating until I was getting home at lunch ish. But that will be the first thing I will try. Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it.

Comment

Can you tell us what foods you are eating specifically? Maybe give us a link to your food log?
        Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

I will start logging it all - a fresh slate so to speak.

So far today and it is 1700 hours here. I started work at 1300 hours so IF from last night until 1430 hours.

Home cooked smoked paprika chicken thigh and drumstick (skin on)
          My avocado was a bit bleuch so that went in the bin otherwise it would have been a small avocado too!)
          Graze box 'ancient forest nuts' - 35g 226 calories
          2 70% squares Lindt
          Sparse amount of coconut flakes

Planning on cycling 12 miles home if the weather holds then...

around 2030 hours planning on a pork loin pan fried with either a hearty portion of salad leaves, radish, tomatoes, cucumber etc or possibly broccoli, peas and carrots.

If I feel hungry later I will have a cold pork loin.

That isn't a lot compare to some days but it has fallen that way because of work and the IF.

Tomorrow I am planning on lifting heavy stuff in the gym in the morning so my thoughts on food are:

pre gym -
          3 scrambled eggs with butter, avocado, couple of slices of ham.

Gym

Refs:
          Cold chicken and veggies whilst at work

Dinner might be left over pork and veg or maybe I will make some beef patties with roasted green beans and veggies.

Comment

Yesterday:

IF until 1500 hours

1500 hours
            Oven cooked chicken thigh and drumstick approx 290 cals
            (Avocado did not travel well and wasn't edible)
            2 squares Lindt 70 % 105 cals
            Graze ancient forest nuts 35g 226 cals

13 mile cycle - 70 mins - approx 600 cals according to Garmin HRM

1930 hours
            Post cycle snack
            Graze beach bum (pineapple, mango, banana) 35g 97 cals
            1 square Lindt 70% 52 cals
            Smoked mackerel fillet Approx 75g 270 cals

2200 hours
            Dinner
            Pork loin chop, mustard marinade, cooked in a little oil&butter - Approx 5 oz - 270 cals
            Sauted savoy cabbage - 200g - 54 cals
            Steamed brocolli - approx 1 cup - 31 cals
            Butter and oil in cooking 1/2 tblsp EVOO - 60 cals
            Butter - 1 tblsp ish - 100 cals

And a very naughty and non-primal Fab ice lolly - 79 cals

Protein 26.25%
            Fat 59.06%
            Carbs 14.69%

Cals 1654
            109g Fat
            61g Carbs (of which 13.2g were from my cheeky ice lolly - which I will cease forthwith!!!!)
            109g Protein

I'll start reducing my lindt intake and snacking on meat instead! As per Belinda's advice I didn't IF today. I will log my food/activity later for today.

Comment

Sorry I haven't replied. This is the first chance I have had to view my livestrong with a flash computer.

21/06
              Breakfast
              2 scrambled eggs 140 cals
              1 roasted chicken thigh with skin 153
              Avocado 150
              ¼ tblsp butter 25

Refs @ work
              6/7 oz pork loin centre cut 364
              broccoli 31
              savoy cabbage 13.5

Dinner
              Thai chicken curry (home-made)
              spinach 19
              bean-sprouts 15.3
              1 ¼ chicken breast 162.5
              Coconut cream 113.5
              Red Thai paste 40

Smoked mackerel 180

Post Workout
              2 squares Lindt 105
              Almonds 8 72
              Unsweetened coconut flakes 35
              Dried unsweetened pineapple 26
              Dried unsweetened mango 75.8
              Pumpkin seeds 46

Cals 1767
              Fat 105 g 53.91%
              Carbs 62g 14.15%
              Protein 140g 31.95%

Training:
              Gym session – testing out previously broken foot on treadmill – 20 mins continuous running up to 9kph (YAY!). Weights – heavy stuff ). Squats etc.

Comment

22/06
                Breakfast
                Pork loin centre cut 227.5
                Avocado 150

Refs @ work
                Nakd Bar cocoa mint (gluten free) 131 (UK product, raw fruits – maybe like a larabar? 17g carbs)

Dinner
                Left over Thai curry:
                spinach 19
                bean sprouts 30.5
                1 ¼ chicken breast 195
                Coconut cream 56.8
                Red Thai paste 40

Fab ice lolly 79 (13.2g carbs) (trying to kick the habit)

Pre-workout
                Broccoli 54.3
                Savoy cabbage 27
                Butter 25

Post workout
                Dried mango 75.8 (18g carbs)
                Dried coconut 70
                Smoked mackerel 180

Cals 1861
                Fat 94 g 46.53%
                Carbs 82g 18.04%
                Protein 161g 35.42%

Training:
                Cycled to and from work:
                13 miles each way. 70 mins each way. Total calorie burn according to Garmin 1036.

Comment

Hmmm. I don't know where 21/06 went.... so here it is, again. Sorry if it reappears

Sorry I haven't replied. This is the first chance I have had to view my livestrong with a flash computer.

21/06
                  Breakfast
                  2 scrambled eggs 140 cals
                  1 roasted chicken thigh with skin 153
                  Avocado 150
                  ¼ tblsp butter 25

Refs
                  6/7 oz pork loin centre cut 364
                  broccoli 31
                  savoy cabbage 13.5

Dinner
                  Thai chicken curry (home-made)
                  spinach 19
                  bean-sprouts 15.3
                  1 ¼ chicken breast 162.5
                  Coconut cream 113.5
                  Red Thai paste 40

Smoked mackerel 180

Post Workout
                  2 squares Lindt 105
                  Almonds 8 72
                  Dried unsweetened pineapple 26
                  Dried unsweetened mango 75.8
                  Pumpkin seeds 46

Cals 1767
                  Fat 105 g 53.91%
                  Carbs 62g 14.15%
                  Protein 140g 31.95%

Training:
                  Gym session – testing out foot on treadmill – 20 mins running up to 9kph. (YAY!) Weights – heavy stuff )

Comment

23/06
                    Breakfast
                    Dried unsweetened pineapple 78
                    Pumpkin seeds 23
                    Almonds 10 90

Refs @ work
                    Avocado 150
                    Little gem lettuce 15
                    olives 60
                    cherry tomatoes 11
                    1 tblsp EVOO 120
                    Tinned tuna in brine 156
                    cucumber 8

Afternoon snack
                    Lindt 95 (12g carbs)
                    Fab ice lolly 79 (13.2g carbs) – my nemesis

Pre-workout
                    Green olives 50
                    'Graze' honey cashews 171.3
                    Cashew butter 47

Dinner (post training)
                    4 scrambled eggs 280
                    Avocado 150
                    Mackerel 263
                    Lindt 105 (6.5g) (think I might have a problem...)

Cals 1987
                    Fat 131 g 58.63%
                    Carbs 102g 20.29%
                    Protein 161g 21.08%
                    Not sure what happened. Just was ravenous all day. Didn't seem to have any willpower at all. Possibly a result of a long ride yesterday????

Training:
                    90 minutes of Krav Maga/MMA training. Pad drills, sparring. Worked hard and consistently. No HRM worn.

Comment

I guess that gives you an idea. I can see just by having to write it all down that I am getting some useless cabs from silly things like ice lollies...noted...something to work on. I do shift work so meals aren't always as simple as breakfast, lunch and dinner. Today I have eaten less:

I am on 1192 cals
                      Fat 57 g 44.96%
                      Carbs 53 g 18.58%
                      Protein 104 g 36.46%

and have trained in the gym today - running again to test the strength in my foot - speed intervals. And lifting heavy stuff on a progressive programme.

I will reel in the silly things like the ice lolly and try to keep lindt for treats. I am feeling increasingly frustrated about the lack of progress. But I have been talking to my OH and reading bits and pieces. I have had some thoughts about why I find it so hard to lose weight, even when on 1200/1300 cals based on a low carb chicken 'n' vegetable diet whilst training very hard for a boxing match.

(Deep breath....)

I have been bulimic since I was about 12/13 which means 20 years of damage. I am mostly recovered. At one point it ruled my life and now, only on the odd bad day. I heard someone say that you are always an alcoholic, it just depends if you drink. I feel much the same way about this. Today I am not drinking....Anyway....

After doing a bit of reading I wonder if this might have damaged my thyroid.... Plus I went on the Cambridge diet/Lighter Life (800 cals per day, shakes, no food) and lost 6 stone to get into the police here in London.

I have got an appointment with my doctor in a couple of days to see if I can persuade him to order a thyroid function test. In the meantime I would value any words of wisdom you guys might have please.

Comment

This may seem odd but try to eat more food. Not a lot. But just a little more. Maybe 200 calories per day average.

And, how are your stress levels? This is VERY important! Do you get 8+ hours of sleep a night?
                        Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give it a go. I have noticed that my calories/hunger fluctuates by about 500 calories some days. I am trying to look for patterns and reasons. Toda was quite low - possibly because I was at work. So do you think about 2000 calories built out of 60/20/20?

It is quite counterintuitive after years of eat less - do more! But I am hopeful...and willing.

Tomorrow I am going to the doctors to see about the thyroid test. We'll see. I am quite nervous.

As for sleep - not quite 8 hours and shift work so a bit patchy. Not in a position to demand black out blinds ATM but by winter I hope the OH and I should have our own pace. Stress...hmmm...not the worst it has been but living arrangements aren't as harmonious as we would like. Work doesn't cause stress though. The not losing weight....p@££es me right off though and I can see little indicators creeping back in that usually warn of episodes of ED...so I need to get a handle on it...sharpish. Training definitely helps so now I am back in my feet I think that will help.

Comment

I saw a GP today. Not my normal one though but I spoke to him at length. I explained the level of activity and nutrition and that I am tweaking my diet. Explained I had cut gluten and dairy. I didn't go into paleo because I know most doctors will say cut fat and won't understand. But even so my calorie intake isn't massive (I don't think). I explained to him my history of bulimia and stated that I wondered if it was a factor and that maybe I had damaged my thyroid. He agreed to let me have tests including thyroid, fasting glucose and something else. Then he said that I had had a test last summer and it came back as normal (think he said 2.1). To be honest I don't recall but it may have been part of a larger blood test when I was feeling incredibly run down. I asked to make sure that I was having a full thyroid test and he said that if the results were abnormal they look closer at it...or something mumbled to that effect.

So we carried on talking and I said that I train hard, eat as well as possible. I said I could understand if I was 'cheating' and snaffling burgers or chocolate bars etc but that I wasn't. He then looked at my weight and worked out my BMI and said 'well, 30 isn't that bad.' And then went on to say that everybody is different and I might have to accept that I find it hard to lose weight, just as he finds it hard to put on weight. Then he asked where most of the weight was and I said stomach and thighs and he said I might want to consider liposuction.

Liposuction.

Are you shi**ing me? From a doctor. And from a doctor who says a BMI of 30 isn't that bad. And that I might just have to accept that there are pockets of fat I just can't lose. Seriously.

So I am off out for my first outdoors run since breaking my foot, to run off my rage. And then back to the drawing board.

Comment

Well yesterday I managed a slow walking/but mainly running 5k and today booked my blood tests for next Tuesday. In the meantime I am still shocked about my conversation with the doctor. I am tempted to speak to the practice manager about the sort of advice he is handing out. But on a good note the OH is cooking ribs on the BBQ to go with a big ole salad and avocado.

In the meantime I appreciate any thoughts from you folks. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X