Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autoimmune disease? This is my experiment...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autoimmune disease? This is my experiment...

Hi everyone,

I have systemic lupus and have made it my priority to find a diet that will enable me to control my symptoms. I desperately want to get off my medications because, for the most part, the side effects are horrendous and more debilitating than my disease. I have tried every diet possible and so far the best was being vegan. I was vegan for 7 months and my symptoms diminished some but not entirely and I still had to stay on my med regime. I stumbled upon this primal lifestyle quite by accident because I was always looking for some sort of vegetarian diet as I've been told repeatedly how acidic animal products are to the body and therefore cause lots of inflammation in the body.

I found a video online of Doug McGuff giving a talk at a conference and he kept referring to Mark Sisson and gave medical evidence on why his "diet" works. I couldn't turn it off. So then I went on a research frenzy and read Art De Vany, Robb Wolf and Mark's books. I was utterly stupefied at what they were telling me and frustrated as well. How could this information be so elusive when, for so many years, I've needed it so badly? After all, I went vegan, carbs were my best friend and probably made up 90% of my diet! No wonder I was so lethargic and tired.

So I began my paleo/primal experiment 2 and half weeks ago. I am following Mark's plan to the letter and doing Primal Blueprint Fitness. After only 3 days I was almost completely symptom free and have not taken any corticosteroids in 2 and half weeks (still on one other lupus med)! I've had some isolated stiffness in my hands late at night but by morning the pain is gone. I have lost 6 pounds.

I am tracking my journey in a blog paleoforlupus. If this works I hope to share with many others suffering from lupus and RA and other autoimmune diseases.

I really can't believe the progress already, I'm so optimistic about the future!
    Follow my journey: http://paleoforlupus.blogspot.com/

Well done indeed, sounds like your on the right path now.
    cheers
    My paleo food photos

Comment

This is so inspiring; thank you for sharing your story with us!

I'll be reading your blog & asking my mother to read it too. She has a form of myositis, which is another autoimmune disorder.

Thanks again, and hope you continue to heal!
      Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

PaleoLupus,

You are severely Vitamin D3 deficient. Lupus and other autoimmune diseases are caused by Vitamin D3 deficiency. You need to take 10,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 Geltabs.

See my Vitamin D3 Report below for details.

Grizz

Comment

@Grizz

I understand that you are only trying to help but to state that I can be cured simply by upping my vitamin D3 intake is almost laughable. I'm a stay at home mom of 2 little ones and basically spend all summer outside - roughly 3-4 hours a day, if not more. And I supplement 1000IU daily. My lupus is not seasonal. I am in just as much pain in the summer as the winter. If it's just about D3 shouldn't my symptoms disappear in the summer?

Comment

Congratulations! I have one AI disorder that that stays in remission and something else that has never been diagnosed. Long story. Anyhow, number 1 I've found is you have to stay 100%, no cheats EVER, gluten free. For me, and this may help you as well, is to stay very low starch. I eat some sweet potato or squash every now and then, but no rice, grains, potatoes, corn at all. And you have to check ingredients and familiarize yourself with which additives are starches. Even things that most people don't have a problem with can cause problems in with AI. Then, eat enough veggies and fresh (preferably) herbs, which will help keep/get your gut flora healthy.
            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

paleoforlupus, it wouldn't hurt to get your Vitamin D levels tested, just to be sure. 1000 iu is a relatively low dose, and it's hard to tell how much you're absorbing from the sun without testing.

Mark Hyman, MD: Vitamin D: Why You Are Probably NOT Getting Enough and How That Makes You Sick

I am amazed at your progress so far in such a short time on PB, congratulations. I wish there was a scientist who would track these stories and document them. Just in the threads here there have been amazing reversals of diabetes, infertility, psychiatric issues, it's astounding and I can't understand why it's not front page news.

Comment

@aktres and grizz

Thank you for the information. I've been looking at the research online the past couple of hours and what you both are saying makes absolute sense and can only help not harm me. I don't think I even need to be tested, after being vegan for 7 months eating no fatty fish and being winter, I'm positive my levels are low, if not deplorable. I signed up to this forum for help, thank you again. I've ordered D3 supplements and I'll get them on Saturday. I hope they help!

@Aktres - I'm also amazed at my progress - I've been in a flare for 2 years and 4 months and in 2 and a half weeks I'm almost pain free?! It blows my mind, I only hope this progresses so I can get off the rest of my medication.

Comment

Hi,

I have rheumatoid arthritis and went primal recently after an exposure to mold triggered long-dormant pain. I'm already experiencing better health.

Comment

This is inspiring! I also have an autoimmune condition (Hashimotos hypothyroid), and I'm hoping that going primal will make a noticable difference with that. I actually have my yearly checkup tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to talking about my new diet with my doctor. Fortunately for me, my doc isn't the conventional wisdom type and I think he'll be very pleased and supportive of the changes.
                    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
                    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

Anave, if you search I believe there is a Hashimoto's thread here in the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by aktres View Post
                        Anave, if you search I believe there is a Hashimoto's thread here in the forums.
                        Just ran across it. Thanks!
                        We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
                        -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

Wow. That's astounding progress. Good for you. Are you staying strictly primal right now? I'm here for help with my autoimmune issues (Sjogren's and fibro) and, heck, won't quibble with losing two sizes in less than 4 months. I'm still on dairy and may try getting off totally at some point. I have cut down though. I have seen a lot of improvement in symptoms but still have more fatigue than I'd like. Best wishes to you.
                          True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
                          The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

Originally posted by shat View Post
                            Wow. That's astounding progress. Good for you. Are you staying strictly primal right now? I'm here for help with my autoimmune issues (Sjogren's and fibro) and, heck, won't quibble with losing two sizes in less than 4 months. I'm still on dairy and may try getting off totally at some point. I have cut down though. I have seen a lot of improvement in symptoms but still have more fatigue than I'd like. Best wishes to you.
                            I am strictly primal. I was vegan before this so I've been off dairy for a long time. Just had to add meat and cut out the grains, beans and processed food. I am finding it to be so easy because I'm really never hungry. I really recommend trying to get off dairy, you won't regret it. It may help alleviate some of the fatigue you're feeling. That's what cutting it out did for me. Good luck!

Comment

Hi. I was recently diagnosed with lupus. I've found that staying away from nightshades has made a significant difference, most especially in my hand symptoms. I can't believe I was going through life, eating tomatoes all the time, and wondering why I felt like I was dying. I no longer feel like I'm dying.

I am also dairy-free. I haven't noticed any difference in my lupus symptoms, but a big difference in weight loss and mucus.
                              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                              X