No announcement yet.

What are you reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@FairyRae, Ishmael inspired me to read Beyond Civilization, it's much more cut and dry .. Not like a story, but still pushes the same ideas ...

@Geoff, Super Squats! What is that?!?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

@ Jess - "Super Squats" is a very short book about the famous "squats and milk" training program. Basically 2 or 3 workouts per week with the focus being on a single high rep set of heavy breathing squats (take your 10 rep max and then do 20 reps no matter how much rest you need between reps or how long it takes you to finish the set - you just can't rack the bar until you've hit 20). Apart from the squats you do a couple of other multi-joint exercises, but they are decidedly secondary. Oh yeah, you have to add at least 5 pounds to the bar every single workout no matter how brutal the last session was.

The "milk" part of the routine comes from the dietary part of the program: drink a gallon of milk daily in addition to your normal food intake.

It's reportedly good for putting on muscle if you have the determination to gut through the workouts. To me it seems (1) not Primal (a gallon of milk a day?), and (2) a recipe for over training (even though the workout should be under an hour long, doing those kind of heavy squats even twice a week seems like too much). I'm also skeptical about how much of the weigh gain would be muscular versus fat. Honestly, when I first saw the book, I though the book was intended as a tongue in cheek send up of the more aggressive weightlifting programs (after all, the subtitle is "Gain 30 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks"). It appears to be a serious book, though.

Does anyone have personal experience with "Squats and Milk" that they'd like to share? To me it sounds like "Get Big or Die Tryin'"

Comment

Been reading a lot of serious books lately so I decided to mix things up a bit (just like workouts

Just finished This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti. Religious based but very suspenseful...loved them!

Net on my list: The Magic Kingdom of Landover Volume 1: Magic Kingdom For Sale SOLD! - The Black Unicorn - Wizard at Large by Terry Brooks. Because I love scifi and fantasy. I'm a Fan!

Comment

"So You Want To Write" by Marge Piercy and Ira Wood...crappy title, but it's pretty good.

"A Clash of Kings" by George R.R. Martin, 2nd book from the series A Song of Ice and Fire. I had read most of it but stopped for a while, so I figured I'd restart it.

Comment

Did Martin ever finish that series? Is he still alive? I used to know someone about 10 years ago who was up to something like the ninth book in the series, and was tearing his hair out hoping the author would finish it before croaking.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoying Robert Wright's _The Moral Animal_. It was released in 1994 (if I remember correctly), but is, I think, a good starting point to familiarize oneself w/ evolutionary psychology which is a budding interest of mine.

Also making my way through _Imperial San Francisco_ by Bray Brechin and _The World of Late Antiquity_ by Peter Brown (both for classwork). I am positively "eating up" the writing in the first one--it's delectable!

Comment

dragonmamma: hmm I think you're thinking of Robert Jordan, whose Wheel of Time series reached 11 books before he died...someone else is finishing the series. I couldn't get into it much. A Song of Ice and Fire is more "low fantasy" (very limited magic, no crazy mythical creatures flying around), at least at the beginning, it builds up more fantasy elements as it goes along. It's an amazing drama, with interesting politics and some of the best characters I've ever read. Martin's spent a LONG time on the 5th book, which was supposed to come out a few years ago and is still in progress now. It's supposed to be 7 books total, and Martin is 61, so people are getting concerned. Plus he writes other books and is working on the HBO show of the first book in the series, A Game of Thrones.

Comment

@dragonmamma: He's still not even close to finishing. I think he said he was almost done with A Dance With Dragons (the next book) a couple years ago and still hasn't finished it. The last one came out in 2005. It's a great series but it really is doubtful he'll ever finish.

+1 for fantasy/sci fi though!

Comment

Now that I think about it, he was reading Martin AND Jordan, and suffering major anxiety about both of them!

Makes me want to never start any series until they're finished. Cheaper that way, too, since you can find the early books on remainder tables or used book stores.

Comment

Kryz - you will not be disappointed. Song of Ice and Fire is -amazing-, and the latest book -should- be out soon.

dragonmamma - that describes my current situation. Unfortunately the latest WoT book is backlogged at the library (too po' to buy it, heh). Patience...

Right now I'm reading Walden by Thoreau - up next are The Value of Nothing by Raj Patel and Primal Body, Primal Mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X