Primal Parents - How do you do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]

I am under the impression that Primal is MDA... and Paleo is similar, but with an avoidance of fat, especially saturated fat. </blockquote>

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...leo-and-Primal
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

I sacrifice sleep for working out and vice versa. It sucks. But I say take one thing and work with it, then add another &#39;change&#39;. It&#39;s a shift.

I try to make extra dinners so that I can eat the leftovers for lunch.

I get as many Primal things as I can for my kids&#39; lunch and then try to still bake them yummy Primal treats.

Comment

I love this thread and love hearing how other primal parents are managing. I have two daughters, 7 and 10, and a husband. I eat totally primal (well, 85%, I&#39;d say) so I cook primally, and shop that way for the most part. My 10 year old is sitting next to me this minute chowing down on some uncured applewood smoked bacon and fried eggs and thinks she&#39;s the luckiest kid on earth. Sure beats pop-tarts. I&#39;ve tried to teach my girls the basics to why we eat this way but I haven&#39;t forbidden any food, as I think that would be the surest way to increase their cravings and begging for things. The girls and my husband eat icecream about once a week and it drives me nuts. But they&#39;ve also really grown to love coconut milk over fresh berries.

I put leftover meat from dinner, raw veggies, a piece of fruit and some cheese in their lunches. For snacks I give them beef jerky, nuts, more fruit. They eat more fruit than I&#39;d like but its better than goldfish or doritos.

They beg for bread from time to time so when we go out to dinner they love to get pizza or burgers and I don&#39;t fight them on that. We don&#39;t go out that often. The funniest thing is that they see how crazy the CW is in the educational programs at school. My daughter thinks its crazy that there is a poster in the lunchroom that says eat plenty of grains.

As for sleep and exercise, my kids are old enough that that isn&#39;t an issue. I can workout when they are at school or take them with me and they are pretty good, and we all really value our sleep so it is all quiet in our house by 9:00. Oh, the other thing I did about a year ago is kill the television, so they aren&#39;t tempted towards an unhealthy lifestyle by commercials on tv.

Comment

Oh, I just remembered a major frustration this week with being a primal parent (or even just a health-conscious one). My kids&#39; school had a fundraiser at McDonalds. A McTakeover. It&#39;s where the school takes over mcdonalds for the evening, the teachers work behind the counter and the whole school shows up for dinner. The school gets 40% of the profit or something like that. Absolutely drives me crazy that they would do this. So the head of our parents club asked if I was going and I said I wasn&#39;t planning on it but she pressured me and made me feel like I wasn&#39;t supporting the cause so I went and brought one of my daughters. She ate a happy meal, I passed and went home and had a juicy grass-fed t-bone. I really wish I had stood my ground and not gone. Why don&#39;t they just sell cigarettes instead? Would be less addictive probably.

Comment

Poundcake- totally agree with you. Our preschool (full day) offers "Special Lunch" week (otherwise you pack your own) where parents can pay 15$ to have take-out lunches all week. My 5 yr old says "I like my dino nuggets better" which is great the twins don&#39;t know any better yet but I am totally dreading when they head off to school.

I am trying to keep things reasonable when comes to the transition. I do agree that I don&#39;t want to make a huge deal out of food choices/control. I teach and I work with a population of kids who have psychological, emotional and learning disabilities... I want healthy kids, all around. I&#39;ve seen how some kids react to inflexible boundaries; it&#39;s not always pretty. And they will forever be confronted with CW and unhealthy choices - they need to be good decision-makers and feel like they are choosing a primal lifestyle as adults because they FEEL good, the are HEALTHY and because it&#39;s not an edict from their crazy parents.

Thanks for the good ideas... I&#39;ll keep on fighting the primal fight!

Comment

Good point Rebecca. Sometimes I think I shove sugar into my mouth just because I&#39;m now an adult and I &#39;can&#39;.

My 10 yr old has free reign, but he knows how we eat and what I&#39;d pefer that he eats, but he knows I don&#39;t deny him anything. I see that he&#39;s starting to make healthy choices on his own and he&#39;s proud of his efforts and choices!

The 3 yr old? Well, he&#39;ll eat what I tell him. His babysitter takes him to McD&#39;s! :-( I really need to pack food for him, but between work, Football, cooking, household chores, sleep....well, let&#39;s just say that I&#39;m lucky to have semi-clean hair today, let alone pack lunches for my 3 yr old&#39;s entire day.

Maybe I can create a list of what I&#39;d prefer that she feed him? Problem is, the other kids will have fries, when he can&#39;t.

I wish I didn&#39;t have to work!!!! :-(

Comment

I really struggle with this as well. I have a 7-yr.old son who loves starchy carbs (bread, cereal, crackers, popcorn, etc.) and absolutely will not eat vegetables. On the plus side, he loves meat as well, but grocery shopping with him is a challenge. I&#39;m the mean mom who won&#39;t buy him all the crap I used to buy, even though I still buy him some "healthy" versions of the snacks he loves.

On the one hand, the longer I&#39;m living Primal, the more I&#39;m thinking of all those snacky foods as poison, and like Tarlach said, I sure don&#39;t want to poison my own child! On the other hand, my parenting philosophy is noncoercive, meaning I&#39;m not comfortable with forcing him to eat or not eat certain foods. Also, I don&#39;t think it&#39;s respectful to just unilaterally announce, "Hey, from now on, you can&#39;t eat that stuff anymore, and if you don&#39;t like it, too bad."

My plan so far has been to gradually reduce the amount of starchy, sugary foods I buy (I already cut out several), keep offering primal foods no matter how many times he declines, and keep modeling and explaining the primal life to him.

So...slow, stealthy, brainwashing is the plan in this house.

Comment

Pellegrina, I love that "slow, stealthy brainwashing"! That&#39;s great! LOL!

I think one of the best things is to be an example for your own kids. My kids are seeing me go from overweight and carb-addicted to being "way more fun", as they say & much more active. It&#39;s helped them not to want to eat as much sugar & that&#39;s pretty good.

Comment

At the grocery store, make it into a game. Tell your children to be "food detectives" and to find the healthiest foods. Have them look at the labels on junk foods and point out what makes them "bad." You can also have them prepare some of the food with you. Ownership really helps!

Also, for meal preparation time cut down, try using the crock pot occasionally. It&#39;s always nice to come home to dinner being ready.

Comment

Working...
                    X