I am suddenly in love with my life now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am suddenly in love with my life now

Hi everybody! I've been reading about this way of eating/living for what seems like eons (about 2 years now I think) and I have decided to take the plunge and start living primal. And wow, it wasn't a plunge at all, it's more like emerging from a terrible nightmare!

I have lived in fear of fat for so long. I'm 23 and for 9 years I've gone through every eating disorder and disordered way of eating imaginable. Something snapped in me about a month ago and I've decided to clean up my life. Its still tough, I am currently recovering from bulimia and was recently diagnosed with depression but in just under a month I am doing so much better and I'm determined to beat my depression by just living a full, happy, healthy life. My horrible cycles and cravings are already disappearing. After so long I finally feel...fine. To put it mildly primal living is FREAKING AWESOME. For most of my adolescence and adult life I have been torturing myself to eat like "Hungry-Girl" (aka the bride of franken-food) and believed with every fiber in my being that once i looked like a lolly-pop I'd be attractive and therefore happy. I was never happy eating like that or looking like that though. Only now am I starting to actually know what it is to feel beautiful.

I am absolutely shocked that I can eat this food and not gain weight...but whats cool too is for the first time that's not a priority. I am so grateful I don't have to punish myself on the treadmill for hours. Instead I feel soooo nice after a workout now. I'm no longer freezing my ass off while others are walking around in shorts. I'm no longer hungry after every meal.

Anyway, I'm love it, and I look forward to getting more active in the forums now. Thanks everyone for all the great discussions, I read them daily and it has helped push me over the edge to change.

Welcome, Pandora! What a great story you have. Stick around and tell use more!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Way to go girl!! Good for you...

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Pandora. Sounds like you're doing great!

It's funny that you mention Hungry Girl. I don't know why I read those newsletters, because I would never buy anything she writes about! Sort of like not being able to drive past an accident without looking, I guess.

Comment

Did Grok have Prozac?

Obviously not. He may have experience fright, grief, hunger, and uncertainty, but I doubt if he or the Mrs. were ever depressed.

I'm not going to be glib about causes and cures, but reducing stress, sunshine, walking, and eating well are all de-depressors.

I know. Been there. Not now.

Comment

Welcome, Pandora! Isn't it great to know you can feel so good?! I used to feel like I was wrapped in a wet wool blanket. You'll find lots of support here.

Comment

I noticed my depression and mental mood swings are completely things of the past.

Actually, it's so far gone, I forgot it was even there!

Even my parenting has improved, since I am no longer constantly depressed and screaming about every little thing that upset me :-(

I think that there is indeed an abundance of mental illness in this country due to low fat. Our brains need fat and our hormones suffer from it too.

Congrats girl! That's just too cool!

Comment

See Mark's very recent column: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-a...tidepressants/

Comment

Welcome the village, Sister Pandora!

Comment

Welcome to the Primal Living Pandora!

Comment

Wow, thanks for the awesome welcome everyone! I can hardly believe the change after a month of living like this. I'd always held back from eating this way because of the cost of food...but its such a small price to pay to feel like this and since I live in Calgary a lot easier to find everything at a decent price. When I saw the cost of my prescription, that's kinda when I weighed my options (and my wallet) and decided to go the primal route. I have tried counselling but that too is costly. I realized my social networks are non-existent and so I've gotten more active and rebuilt some bridges with friends, family, and "tribal elders" to confide in hehe.

I'd like to send a deep thank-you from the bottom of my heart to all the beautiful, strong, vivacious ladies who are active on this site and others. You've shown me something REAL and something to strive for. OH, and also to all the guys, as you've opened my eyes to the qualities you truly find attractive in another person.

Comment

Awww... you are so cute! Welcome to our world! I am so glad you are happy. Don't be too hard on yourself if you fall of though, because it might eventually happen and we are here to help! Keep it going, sounds like you are in it for the long haul! I am right there with you!

Comment

Pandora, congrats for deciding to go primal.

There appears to be a strong link between diet-induced chronic systemic inflammation and depression / degenerative brain diseases. I think you are definitively on the right track.

You might be interested in this blog:

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/2008/08/depression_23.html

It's a great source of information, not only because of the posts but also because of the comments.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                          "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Hi there Pandora and welcome

Comment

Working...
                            X