No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me with morbid obesity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Onthebayou- thanks for your insights. I see where you're coming from and I can agree with changing her diet and to stop exercising... but I don't know if I can agree with it's still too early to expect much in the way of results for Desperate. What would be the appropriate amount of time to wait and see if something happens? 5 weeks isn't enough?

Would you recommend to restrict her diet to 600 cals and no exercise for Desperate? Sounds a bit extreme to me.

Comment

I'm not a bariatric doctor and I don't play one on TV! Maybe her body is saving weight loss after it fixes up some of her other issues. I can only guess.

Here's Lyle M: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the...-loss-handbook

Comment

I have one of his new books the stubborn fat solution, and will opt not to get this book... i'm going to probably read dr. taubes work in bad cal good cals first as i think that will shed good light on what i'm missing from my knowledge.

And I wasn't suggesting that you're a bariatric doctor or that you should be prescribing a nutrition plan,... was just curious if you would support that type of eating plan from the knowledge you have on how weight loss effects morbidly obese people. This area is very new to me and i'm still very confused as to why there's such a difference,...

Comment

Chunster, I'm like most folks here....imperfect beings doing the best we can with the gifts and the burdens placed on us!

Regardless, I am hoping that Desperate will stand close by and keep us informed.

Comment

Chunster I think that it's very difficult to know all the variables surrounding someone's lifestyle based on forum postings. And our knowledge on physiology is still incomplete.

The rationale behind going Primal/Paleo is that it makes sense under an evolutionary perspective. Many health problems are the result of eating what we did not evolve to eat, and these unnatural diets affect people in different ways.

That being said, I think it makes sense to address obesity's root cause by drastic dietary changes that are more aligned with what our bodies can naturally handle. Under a ideal diet, the body seems to be more capable to work itself into a more efficient state by increasing basal metabolic rate, altering body composition and getting rid of fat.

On the on the hand, I'm not a doctor, and perhaps more drastic measures are needed in order to kick-start the loss of fat and health recovery. But based on the successful experiences of many people in this and other forums, I think Desperate might be doing something wrong. It's hard to know.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
            "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Thanks Groquette...this helps. How is to go get an extremely accurate test of body fat ? I think the estimate you came up with is very close. So, once you come up with the protein calories you need then you make up the most of the rest in fat with very few carbs, right ?

Whats the rule of thumb on how much fat to take ? Sorry, I would be looking this up in PB if I could find it. I am now off of dairy and feeling good. We will see if this together with getting the right protein/fat ratio will allow me to lose some weight.

Thanks for your help...I love this forum.

Any feelings about coffee...pro or con ?

Comment

GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF MY COFFEE AND NOBODY GETS HURT!

Actually, on the rare mornings I don't have coffee for whatever reason, I have no physical reactions. I drink pretty much a pot most mornings or nice, strong, black brew.

For me, it's the beautiful morning routine more than any caffeine or other things. It doesn't seem to effect my weight loss or anything else. I'm drinking it right now and since it doesn't really supply any nutrients, I still consider myself IF'ing.

And, no, tea just isn't the same......

Comment

Grokette, don't go crazy on the fats right away but rather ease in yourself into it. Start with aprx 60% of your total diet being fats and then gradually increase it to 70. In my personal experience, 70% works great but I've never been able to actually do 80 or 90 like some people here. I would think 70% is kind of like a sweet spot.

Comment

This picture sums up my coffee philosophy:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/w...t_no_decaf.gif

Comment

Working...
                    X