No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me with morbid obesity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops, those #'s don't work out....I'd have to eat far more than 1500 cals. per day......

Comment

Hi Grokette,

Lean Body Mass is generally calculated by

1) figuring out what percentage of your body is fat (calipers, bioelectrical impedance analysis, hydrostatic weighing, etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

2) weighing yourself

3) mashing the two together like this:

Weight x (100 - BodyFatPercentage)/100 = LeanBodyMass

So with some arbitrary numbers, that would be:

weight = 185 lbs

body fat percentage = 39%

185 x (100 - 39) / 100

which is the same as

185 x 0.61

which comes out to 112.85

quette's journal

Comment

Troll or no troll... I feel that I've truly learned a great deal from everyone's opinions/knowledge. I am continually humbled at the amount of knowledge that all the member within this forum possess, and all the great literature that I must now read... =p.

Desperate,.. first and foremost, I think you're headed in the right direction to achieving your goals. Had I not read everyone's comments, I would have advised you of something and probably be considered a troll myself... but I will say this... 5 weeks of doing what you've been doing with no weight/fat loss is frustrating. Health benefits are great, but I know you'd like to see some physical results as well... IMHO... I would make some tweaks to your lifestyle now, and not wait another 6 months to see if you lose weight/fat. I think 5 weeks is plenty of time to realize whether your routine is working or not... As you've shared only your nutrition and workout details, I can only comment and suggest some alternatives for you in those departments... but please consider the other aspects such as sleep(recovery time from your workouts), stress levels(trying to lose weight in itself is stressful), play,..etc.

For eating, i would try something different,... I see that you're packing in just two meals, and fasting longer intervals... well let's change it up a bit... try conventional wisdom... why not??? break it up into smaller meals for about 400-500 cal meals every 4 hours or so...nothing too strict... but if what you're doing produced no results, what's the harm in eating what you've been eating and changing up the schedule....also, as others have suggested, try eliminating the dairy.

For your workouts,... change it up a bit,.. instead of swimming, try walking/joggin up stairs once a week... or try adding resistance training heavier than a 3kg dumbell. how bout 15 lbs... and perform some lunges or mini squats...if they feel too dangerous,,.. simple body weight exercises like wall sits, squats, lunges, or safe machine workouts... but i'd limit these to once a week... and the rest just walking.

Will any of this work?... i don't know...but at least it's different,... I'm only suggesting that we're not getting the desired results, we need to try something different. I wish you the best and please do keep us informed of your progress.

Comment

Chunster, have you forgotten what Desperate weighs? If she does nothing but water exercises and walking for the next year, that would be just fine AND SAFE. Lunges? Squats? Holy moly, man.

And the exercising beyond what she is doing will not do "squat" for weight loss. See Lyle McDonald, TIME magazine, this forum, the PB, etc....

Comment

Going back to "The Biggest Looser" show. Can you imagine the kind of damage those people are doing to themselves working out the way they do weighting as majority of them do?

I remember watching one of the episodes where a 400lb something guy was running on a treadmill and then running up the hill carrying some weights and all I was thinking "Oh my God, I hope he doesn't have a heart attack right on the show".

Comment

adopicyte, thanks for that link. Although I've watched the other, similar one, this one has some good audience questions. And around 1 hr, 3 minutes, he discusses some of the reasons so many people are going down the wrong path and won't change.

Comment

Thanks you for this Groquette......

I'll see if I can figure it out from here; but one more question. I do know that my BMI is 49 ...how does this fit in to the picture ? My weight is 250 and I am 5' tall.

Trying so hard to figure this all out.

Comment

Comment

Maybe since I don't have access to any of the necessary equipment to arrive at the % of bodyfat I could estimate that I am 50% fat and so my lean body mass is 125....

Does this sound reasonable or I should not assume the 50% ??

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comment

I used your 49% estimate and arrived at 122.5lb for your body fat. I then subtracted 122.5lb from 250 and arrived at 127.5lb lean mass.

Comment

@Desperate: congratulations for taking the step of going Primal, this is probably the best decision you have made in your life.

Extreme situations require extreme measures. But there is a difference between what's ideal and what's possible.

I think that the ideal scenario would be, in your case, to go 100% Paleo. This means an almost all-meat (grass-fed) diet with close to zero carbs.

However, paleo is not that easy to follow, so the real scenario would probably be going Primal, or of not, at least very low carb with omega-3 supplements.

Due to your condition, you have to force yourself into staying in the lifestyle even if you do not see short-term results. There is probably a lot of physiological damage to undo so it might take you a bit longer than average to see big results, so don't give up.

80% of our body composition is, in theory, dependent on diet alone. Primal is the best human nutritional plan available after Paleo, so you are in the right track Desperate. Just hang on and rely on the community for support and inspiration when needed.

Best of lucks.

@Pie: This is not weight watchers, where the base premise is to count calories and move so you burn more than you eat.

As many have pointed out to you before, there is much more than calorie intake when it comes to gaining weight. Americans are not the most obese people in the world because they are the laziest, but because of their diet.

If you don't understand how the quality of a diet affects our physiology and thus our body composition, I'd advice you to do some homework or ask around. Until then, advice such as: "you are fat because you are lazy and need to eat less" won't do you any favors around here.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                        "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

@onthebayou - "And the exercising beyond what she is doing will not do "squat" for weight loss. See Lyle McDonald, TIME magazine, this forum, the PB, etc.... "

I think these articles and this forum and PB is against chronic cardio, not really against resistance training. Actually, isn't intense, resistance training a big component of these articles/lifestyles?... And I'm aware of her current weight. I've seen people heavier than her perform squats safely. It may not be for her, and I wasn't suggesting that she must do squats, but rather that she might benefit from changing up her routine. Even doing nothing would be a better approach in my opinion than to just continue to doing what she's doing. I find it a bit silly to keep doing what you're doing and expect different results.

Comment

Yes, resistance training is a part of the PB body and lifestyle, but not necessarily as part of weight loss. And MO people have to be SO careful with what they are doing, far better to be safe than sorry. (And I don't often say that about much of anything.) IIRC, Lyle M. has his people losing a pound a day on 600 calories and no exercise beyond normal living.

I think it's a bit too early to expect much in the way of results for Desperate. The fact that her health is already improving in several other areas is indicative of what will happen sooner or later.

Comment

Thanks Chocolatechip6!

Trying to understand how the BMI relates to LBM, can you explain ?

Thanks everybody !

Comment

BMI doesn't really relate to anything except your height and your weight. It's not a very useful number to actual factual people. It's more like a statistical measure.

Of what, you ask? Well, hard to say... but insurance companies use it to calculate the odds that you're going to cost them money.

At least, I think that's what it's used for.

quette's journal

Comment

Working...
                                X