Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from the Uk! Also needed some advice :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from the Uk! Also needed some advice :)

Hi! I've just joined to ask for some help after spending the last few weeks obsessively reading MDA since discovering it!

So - I'm a 21 year old female, 5'6.5 (that half inch is very important lol!) and 130-133lbs. So far I am completely loving the primal life, I've been low carb for a while now but going primal feels so much more natural and healthy. I am so happy to give up the horrible chronic cardio! I want to get super healthy, lose 10lbs or so and be lean and toned.

Anyway, I need some advice concerning a plateau. I thought I would be seeing some results by now but the scale is in the same range, I haven't lost any inches and don't appear to have gained any muscle. I'm not here for a quick fix but after almost a month of eating/exercising well I am finding it hard to keep motivated without results. I typically don't have trouble losing weight when dieting and working out. I eat loads of low carb veggies at dinner, try to keep dairy low, glass of wine 2-4 days a week. Eat too many artifical sweeteners which I will cut down (at the moment they help me to not binge or cheat).

A typical day;
    B: whey protein shake with coconut oil, tea and soymilk
    L: cherry toms and mayo, or an egg or coconut oil with cocoa powder
    D: 4-8oz chicken or beef with loads of low carb veggies and coconut oil
    S: sugar free jelly (need to give that up) or protein shake

Usually cals:1200-1800, carbs:30-80g, pro:70-120g, fat:50-100g
    My workouts are almost exactly what Mark recommends (in fitness ebook)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Hi & welcome!

I have very similar stats to you, except that I'm 47! (Yes that 1/2 inch is so important, LOL!) I'm eating similar amounts of calories, though I tend to eat fat in the higher range (about 50% of my calories.)

Like you, I haven't seen much size change--yet--except for what looked like a couple of pounds of water loss in the first week. However, I've had my first pain-free period ever! My digestion has improved and I think my eyesight may be as well. So I am all for relaxing and watching the transformation continue at its own pace.

That said, lots of folks recommend cutting out dairy (except for butter) for awhile--some folks can't seem to lose weight on dairy, while it doesn't affect others at all. Also, there is a theory that artificial sweeteners trick the body into producing insulin--so probably best to drop those sooner, rather than later.

Finally, are you doing your sprints? Working out at the appropriate level? (I am doing PB Fitness, too!) I have only done one sprint session so far and I have read on the blog that interval/sprint work is really helpful for women who want to lose fat. And some women just don't work out hard enough. I am in good shape (former personal trainer), but doing the PB Fitness routines s-l-o-w-l-y and really pushing myself to get out that last push up helps me to know I am really working my muscles to the point where they will grow (At least 2 rest days in between LHT sessions is essential, IMO.)

Oh, and drop the soy milk! Def not primal and can mess with your hormones.
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dragonfly!
      It's cool to see someone with similar stats! What are your goals?
      I'm trying to cut out dairy, or at least limit it as much as I can without bingeing (I have problems with that - but primal eating is helping me overcome it).
      Cutting out sweeteners it a bit more problematic for me....I don't eat fruit so without sweeteners I would have nothing sweet (I have a major sweet tooth!). Do you think it could be really affecting weight loss? If so I will definately cut down, although it will be soo hard to cope with the dessert cravings.
      I'm starting the sprint part of the program this week, so hopefully that will help. I guess I could work harder with the moving slowly and LHT - but isn't the point of it to not work too hard and overtrain with cardio and weights?

I only have 50-200ml organic unsweetened soy milk a day...is it really that bad? I don't know what else to put in tea and coffee as cream is out because it's dairy and I have portion control issues with it. I can just about do black coffee if it has sweeteners, but not black tea! Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far!

Comment

you have a lot of processed food on your menu. i'm seeing a lot of protein shakes and coconut oil. focus on getting your nutrition from more whole food - meat and vegetables, fruit if you feel like it.

HTH!
        sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Is that a lot of processed food?! I thought I was doing quite well. Is coconut oil too processed then?
          I can give up the mayo, but I don't want to give the shakes up..they are just so convenient and they help me to not overeat.

Another question (sorry so many!) I know it's important to keep calories and carbs in check to lose weight, but I am so bored with weighing and tracking everything. Will I actually lose if I eat when hungry/stop when full? I am hoping so but wondering if my body will just naturally maintain my weight but making me hungry for maintenance calories, if you know what I mean. Any experience with this, bearing in mind I am at a healthy weight but not lean.

Comment

Originally posted by snowy View Post
            Thanks for the reply Dragonfly!
            It's cool to see someone with similar stats! What are your goals?
            I'm trying to cut out dairy, or at least limit it as much as I can without bingeing (I have problems with that - but primal eating is helping me overcome it).
            Cutting out sweeteners it a bit more problematic for me....I don't eat fruit so without sweeteners I would have nothing sweet (I have a major sweet tooth!). Do you think it could be really affecting weight loss? If so I will definately cut down, although it will be soo hard to cope with the dessert cravings.
            I'm starting the sprint part of the program this week, so hopefully that will help. I guess I could work harder with the moving slowly and LHT - but isn't the point of it to not work too hard and overtrain with cardio and weights?

I only have 50-200ml organic unsweetened soy milk a day...is it really that bad? I don't know what else to put in tea and coffee as cream is out because it's dairy and I have portion control issues with it. I can just about do black coffee if it has sweeteners, but not black tea! Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far!
            You are welcome!

See my journal (link in my signature) for my goals/daily foods, etc

Replace sweet with fat--for example, I have HUGE carbs cravings right now (during my menstrual cycle) and I just had a tablespoon of cashew butter. Nipped that craving in the bud! I have a major sweet tooth, too. Up your protein & fat & it will go away.

I use coconut milk (canned, BPA-free) in my morning tea (I have British parents)--takes a bit of getting used to, but now I love the taste. Yes, unfermented soy is bad--definitely not Primal, either. Coconut milk is better for you and you can use it in your smoothies, too.

I don't suggest you overtrain--just make sure you are lifting at your maximum effort--reduce rest periods between sets, etc. You should be pretty worn out (temporarily!) after an LHT, if you are working hard enough. Most women don't work hard enough, in my experience as a personal trainer--not true of all, of course! If you use Mark's guidelines for progressing on his PBF workout, you will be golden.

I agree with Batty--eat more real food--free-range organic eggs for example, for brekkie. Try a handful of nuts or some beef jerky for a snack.

Comment

Is that a lot of processed food?! I thought I was doing quite well. Is coconut oil too processed then?
              I can give up the mayo, but I don't want to give the shakes up..they are just so convenient and they help me to not overeat.

Another question (sorry so many!) I know it's important to keep calories and carbs in check to lose weight, but I am so bored with weighing and tracking everything. Will I actually lose if I eat when hungry/stop when full? I am hoping so but wondering if my body will just naturally maintain my weight but making me hungry for maintenance calories, if you know what I mean. Any experience with this, bearing in mind I am at a healthy weight but not lean.
              Two shakes is two too many in my opinion! Coconut oil is fine--get the best you can find--Tropical Traditions is good--I think Spectrum has a good one in the UK. I still eat mayo, but really limited amounts...

I only tracked the first week. You may want to replace the shakes with real food, track for another week & then relax. It takes some time to transition and I used to tell my personal training clients not to expect to see any results at all until 4-6 weeks after starting a new program.

We are really talking about a whole metabolism shift here, so be patient with yourself. Your body will sort itself out, as long as you take care not to eat emotionally and give yourself time & attention to get over the carb/sweet cravings. EFT, also known as "tapping" is a great tool for emotional eating and eliminating cravings.
              Last edited by Dragonfly; 11-23-2010, 12:38 PM.

Comment

coconut oil is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but i am of the belief that it should be used as a supplement and not a meal. i use coconut oil to cook stuff in, but rarely do i consume it directly. you can certainly consume it daily, but that's approximately 400 calories that you could dedicate to other food with more diverse nutrients.

i am assuming that you were/are a carb/sugar junkie? because i think you've just shifted your dependence on those to a dependence on protein shakes, and that's really not good, either. BTW, whey protein isn't technically primal, either.

lastly, i suggest not worrying about what the scale says and focus on how PB foods make you healthier than you've ever been before. don't worry about tracking for now, don't worry about overeating. if you give your body the right stuff, it will react accordingly, and your ideal "lean and toned" body composition may or may not be '10 lbs less'.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...llow-grokettes...
                [just to toot my own horn]
                sigpic

Comment

Depending on your ability to basically feel okay when technically hungry, i would suggest trying to incorporate intermittent fasting to your lifestyle. At first, it may be a bit hard but from my experience i can tell it allows you to better know about your appetite and hunger.

For some people, fasting is not an easy thing to do because they may already be relying on permanent sugar availability. And at work, you may not want to tell your boss you are attempting to regulate your hunger and system by fasting therefore rendering your brain less technically functional...

Do not hesitate to inquire about fasting if you want some people to give you their viewpoints and there own experience.:-)
                  ======== ==== == =
                  Be hardcore, drink water

Comment

i would not recommend IFing until you have the actual eating part down first. that's more important.
                    sigpic

Comment

I understand your advice. I would like to motivate my viewpoint here. I think that basically whatever your diet or lifestyle is , appetite regulation is a crucial aspect.
                      However you are correct. It occurs pretty naturally when you're eating the right things. Do you agree, Batty?
                      ======== ==== == =
                      Be hardcore, drink water

Comment

Originally posted by Furan View Post
                        I understand your advice. I would like to motivate my viewpoint here. I think that basically whatever your diet or lifestyle is , appetite regulation is a crucial aspect.
                        However you are correct. It occurs pretty naturally when you're eating the right things. Do you agree, Batty?
                        yes indeedy if you have the proper amounts of fat, protein, and carbs suited to your body, IFing is easier, and sometimes comes naturally.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi Snowy
                          Welcome to the forum!!

If you are trying to give up dairy then the protein shakes need to go. Also give up with the soy milk. Just try your tea and coffee black, after a few days you may start to prefer them this way. Oh heck, just have a bit of cream in your tea/coffee.... it won't kill you!

I think if you started to eat a bit more protein from meat/eggs your muscles would start to grow a bit and the urge to binge would fade as you would feel fuller for longer.

Also why don't you eat fruit?
                          Last edited by mozzy10; 11-24-2010, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Hi Snowy,

Can't believe i'm actually advising someone..lol (Not been PB that long myself) In my newfound experience:

How you are approaching PB sounds exactly how i did. Just let me add ,i abandand the scales. Since that point just focused on good food & my personal goals.

At the start it was dropping excess fat as fast as possible. Needless to say it just wasn't happening,until i relaxed with the scales both bathroom & kitchen .Ate good meat ,lots of eggs,coconut products ,oil ,milk & raw ,plus some nutrient low carb veg & lots of berries.I do have small amount of dairy on occasions.

Just doing this ,is transforming my body weekly.My clothes are my scale & comments from my work colleagues. All good.

All i can do is suggest as others,greentea with lemon is good ,instead of coffee & normal tea. I'm hooked now (thats from a woman who couldn't even make a cup of tea because of the dislike to the smell) alot of fruit teas are nice too ,all caffeine free. Good luck!

Comment

First Principles

Hunger is the way your body manifests its cellular need for energy at a psychological level. This is exactly analogous to thirst, which is how a cellular need for hydration manifests at a psychological level. When you get thirsty, I assume that you drink, which is what any rational being would do. When you get hungry, you should probably eat.

If shortly after a meal (energy input) you find that you are hungry, then you need to answer the question: why is it that the cells of my body did not receive the energy that they require? The answers to that question will roughly break down into two categories:
                              1. You ate an insufficient amount.
                              2. You ate the wrong things.

It should be pretty obvious to you when you eat a bird sized meal, so I'll focus on #2, you ate the wrong things.

The Wrong Things To Eat

From the perspective of fat loss, the wrong things to eat are those that prompt the body to store incoming energy for future use rather than to make it available for current consumption. Control over your body's processes occurs via neurological and endocrine (hormonal) systems. Neurological control is specific, whereas hormones effect systemic control. Of the hormones in the body, the list of hormones that mobilize adipose fat to make it available as energy for cells is quite long, so long, in fact, that it would be safe to say that the default state for your body to be in is one of mobilizing fat from adipose tissues. In contrast, the list of hormones that cause your adipose tissues to decrease their release of free fatty acids into the bloodstream is quite exclusive, consisting of a single hormone : insulin. It follows from this that the wrong things to eat are those things that are highly insulinogenic, producing a large insulin response when ingested.

Practical Application

If you inadvertently eat a highly insulinogenic meal, you will know it in short order, because you will get hungry relatively soon after your meal. In the long term, your adipose tissue will not reduce, because your hormonal environment is promoting retention of fat. Hunger is a very important message that your body sends to you. Listen to it.

From your outline of what you have been eating, one thing stands out: whey protein shakes. The following quote is from a doctoral thesis on the insulinogenic effects of milk: "Dairy proteins, in particular the whey protein fraction, were found to be potent insulin secretagogues in healthy subjects." In case you find the scientific jargon impenetrable, "potent insulin secretagogues" = "wrong thing to eat". Whey protein is popular among the bodybuilding crowd because it is quickly assimilated. The reason it is quickly assimilated is precisely because it spikes insulin. Spiking insulin means shutting down the release of free fatty acids from adipose tissue.

I should point out that counting calories is largely meaningless since it completely ignores the insulinogenicity of the diet. Eating 1500 calories of mashed potatoes is not the same as eating 1500 calories of whey protein which is not the same as eating 1500 calories of coconut oil.

Having said all that, there is one way that you can get away with a less than ideal diet from the perspective of insulinogenicity - intermittent fasting. You cannot have insulin spikes if you are not eating. If, as you say, you find that your fat loss progress has stalled, you might consider increasing the interval between your meals. One popular approach to this is to limit your eating to the hours between 5PM - 10PM. During your eating window, try to eat cleanly, but don't obsess about it. If you were to do this, you would be effectively fasting 19 hours a day, or, in other words, you would have roughly 13 - 14 hours a day that you would be burning fat instead of storing it ( this is assuming that you eat a meal towards the end of the window which will take a few hours to work its way through your system ). Contrast this with the "three square meals a day" approach which has you eating roughly every 5 hours, and spiking insulin with each meal, effectively reducing you to only burning fat during the night, when you are asleep.

Should you decide to go down this road, the practical way to approach it is to attempt to delay your first meal, literally the meal that breaks your fast, by an hour every few days ( say 3 or 4 ). Over the span of 5 - 6 weeks, you would be roughly eating your break fast meal 10 hours later than usual. If you normally eat your first meal at 7:00 AM, this would now have you eating at 5:00 PM. At this point, you would continue eating within this window pretty much indefinitely. Keep it up for 30 days, see how your body responds, and adjust accordingly.

The devil, as they say, is in the details, but I've given you the overall gist. I'm a firm believer that the name of the game is regulation of insulin, and one of the best ways to do that is through intermittent fasting.

-PK
                              My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X