Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all! I am new to this forum and was highly considering going primal, enough to research it quite a bit, make a grocery lost and make 5 days so far of a meal plan. Then I read the newbie forum post that talks about carb flu. Then I read that going primal may elevate my bp. Oh geez. Here's my backstory, I'll try to keep it short ad possible.
    I'm 37, mom of 3. I always had a great metabolism and was very thin until I had kids at 24. I still easily lost most of the weight and was a healthy weight and quite active until 2007 when I herniated a disc shoveling snow. It took only 3 months before the disc was so degenerated that there was barely 10% remaining and I had to have it removed and my back fused (L5/S1.) I had a recovery which is normal for that surgery, 1 month of bed rest, 3 months using a walker, 5 months in a back brace. I gained 50 lbs in the 8 months from when I hurt my back through when it was healed enough for me to be back to normal daily living. I do now have degenerative disc disease, and am not allowed to shovel, mow the lawn, or life over 10lbs for the rest of my life! :/ recently my neck discs began a quick degeneration and I have an upcoming MRI to see where they are at this week
    In 2008 I began to get extremely depressed and over the last 6 years I have now been hospitalized in a mental health care facility 8 times, tried most every natural (yes Zija, essential oils, the works) and then prescribed depression med that I could find. I even had ECT shock therapy in 2011. Diagnoses are Major Depression, Severe, Recurrent, Generalized Anxiety Disorder and PTSD.My blood pressure has risen so that I am on a med for that, my thyroid whacked out and I was diagnosed with Graves Disease, I developed a bleeding ulcer for which I take a med for, and I am still 50lbs overweight. I am now a large, 6 foot tall woman, who is depressed and ill. I have no found any doctors who have been able to really help, although I currently see a therapist weekly, a physical therapist bi-weekly, and my psychiatrist bi-monthly. I add that I am 6 feet tall because I have always had a horrible self-image, but am extremely frustrated feeling like shorter larger women look way more proportionate that tall ones. I feel like a beast. So anyway...
    I have never really dieted. My mental health is my foremost concern and even considering continuing calories or not eating when I am hungry just stresses the hell outta me. I have been able to maintain my weight and not gain more, so I keep thinking if I could just lose this weight and then eat like I am now I would be ok. Who knows. I can tell you I would NOT be ok to feel flu-like for 2 weeks to 2 months of transitioning to this new way of life. I couldn't. I am not being light about that, but seriously just being in pain daily often makes me suicidal which is horrid. And my latest BPs have been 169/135 147/124 145/119 and that was just six days ago at the doctor's office, while on my BP meds. I CANNOT do anything that would raise my bp more.
    Is there anything that I can do to try this without feeling like total crap? I would love to be a healthy size again.
    If it helps at all, I already stay away from caffeine completely, I hate all sodas and only drink water, and I don't have a sweet tooth or like chocolate. I do like carbs and that is my problem I am sure.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Danzaroonj; 09-01-2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• i want to start eating primal ive got lpr and hiatus before and done a nissen fundoplication im a profesional athlete but lpr still kicks in even with fundo and gets me worse im desperate need to start training again lpr kicks in almoust no matter what i eat and i need t oturn to paleo can i have some advice tx.

also seem to have allergies and sort of esophageal spasms dr cant help me at all !!

Comment

• Me too

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Interesting about the esophageal spasms. I just found out i have the same. I'm a newbie out of Fresno, Ca. I am really interested in meeting up with likeminded in the area to get I some occasional sprints, get out and play. Maybe a short hike here and there. Whole Foods is offering a paleo cooking class saturday oct 4th from noon to 2pm. I'm looking forward to it. $26 a seat. Well if anyone the general area would to meet up there or like to start a meet up group let me know. Ciao for now, Carri

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Thanks bro for the helpful info. I came across some great Paleo Cookbooks at www.paleodietbible.com

Comment

• Tonya

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• New to all this and taking baby steps, grains had to go first, sugar & dairy gone. Things like almond milk and sugar free gum are still mild staples but those are soon to get the boot as well. I am seeking what works best for my body as I spend an adequate amt. of time in the gym. Love to lift, that is my passion!

Comment

• Newbies Start Here: Primer to the Primal Blueprint Lifestyle

My name is Tricia and this is how I started.

My best friend from PR sent me primal blueprint in June. I slacked and didn't actually read it till August. I wish I would've in June...why you ask? Because I have never felt better! I'm turning 40 on 12/15 and have never felt so good! My skin is clear and my mood is so good I surprise myself! I love that I get to try new Vegies all the time! I've shrunk, my clothes fit again and did I mention I look great in my jeans again! This is not a diet it's a lifestyle change and one to be embraced! I'm looking to do the whole 30 in January. Today I cheated and so crappy that the crap food I had/use to have actually makes me ill! I love my paleo/primal. My husbands diabetes is easily controlled now and my 20 year old loves all the foods! Thank you Mark!!

Comment

• Hi everyone, this is my first post as I just registered

Comment

• Welcome aboard!!
                      Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                      Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                      "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                      "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                      "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

• Today is Day 1. In all honesty I know more about PB lifestyle than I do about posting on Forums and many things technical. I want to be a part of the online community this time around. There is a post somewhere in cyberspace from yesterday that lets you know I lost my Primal compass over a year ago. I want to stick with it so I am going to do things differently this time and be a part of PB community. I think my biggest challenge over the next 21 Days will be to stay connected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aine Vend View Post
                          Today is Day 1. In all honesty I know more about PB lifestyle than I do about posting on Forums and many things technical. I want to be a part of the online community this time around. There is a post somewhere in cyberspace from yesterday that lets you know I lost my Primal compass over a year ago. I want to stick with it so I am going to do things differently this time and be a part of PB community. I think my biggest challenge over the next 21 Days will be to stay connected.
                          Glad you're back to primal. Jump in anywhere.
                          Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                          Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

• Hi

Is any one have problems sign ing to the app
                            For the free 21 day challenge????
                            Thank you
                            Mary

Comment

• Hi I am new and I'm rubbish at forums. I think I've already offended regulars by mentioning the aitkins diet! Any way I'm not up to speed with the diet but I will help you stay connected if you help me with the all the dos and donuts of pb. I am on day 3, I'm not hungry but I do feel rough. I am unable to get exercising this week maybe next week too. Two small children and a job leaving not a lot of time for the gym at moment. Will that affect my weight loss progress? And are you doing the diet for weight loss too.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Gemma, you may be a kindred spirit. I don't know the difference in the reply types, where do the stars by threads come from, what do they mean?, Go advanced, and so on, LOL. I'm kind of a dinosaur but I'm willing to learn. The rough feeling may be carb flu, you can search it on the blog site. I hope to stay primal for life. I've been stopping and starting over the past few years. I'm committed this time though, progress not perfection but I want to move upstream at a continuous pace, no back pedaling.

Comment

Working...
                                X