Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all! I'm Kara, 32 from NC. I started the Paleo diet in May 2013. Within 3 months, I was feeling so much better and lost 20 lbs. I am 5 ft tall so that was a lot for me. I went from 165 to 145 lbs. and lost around 4" off my waist. Went from a size 13 to a size 9.

I have PCOS, so it's hard to lose weight and keep hormones balanced naturally.

My biggest struggle is losing the belly fat. Gotta step up my game!

I love the lifestyle I have chosen. It's awesome knowing how many people I have inspired as well. I feel incredible. It's nice rarely craving sugars and processed food. I did tonight and made baked apples with cinnamon.

Anyway, glad to be a part of the forum and hope to learn a lot more from you guys, and maybe teach a little here and there.

Here's my before and "after" which isn't my goal but it's where Paleo in 3 months put me with NO other changes.

ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1390192615.511696.jpg

Paleo Moxie
    http://www.facebook.com/paleomoxie

Comment

• I've been on the diet since Jan.3rd, but I got out of ketosis and gave in like crazy today. I craved them carbs and I ended up binging on junk. I feel so down and depressed, I know it's not worth it, but I didn't even care. I feel like crap though, I feel like throwing up.
      My mom thinks it's really bad for me, that I'm gonna get myself sick, and that I need fruits and sugar to function properly. Some people say this diet is only if you're overweight or sensitive to insulin, or whatever medical condition you may have. She thinks I could eat some carbs, and that I just need to exercise on a "balanced diet" and whatnot. I don't feel like I have the energy or motivation to work out though. I feel tired and depressed almost all the time.
      She also thinks it's really expensive (I wanted to buy organic coconut oil/flour, flaxseed, high fat cream, etc.). I was so happy and excited and so committed, for the first time, I was really convinced and totally into it. If someone knows how to save some money and suppress appetite and hunger, please let me know. Sometimes I get really hungry, even when I eat a lot, even when I was in ketosis.
      I'm 18, my weight is about 59 kilos, it was 56 when I was on keto. ((( Any advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated..

Comment

• hello everyone! New to the forum and paleo life but excited to fully prep and start! I'm a vegetarian so will be more challenging but I'm determined!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Just started the primal blueprint. Only changed the diet so far, and I haven't lost any weight yet but sure I will start seeing results soon. I'm glad there is a way I can see that others are getting results, it inspires me. Having rare steak tonight with a salad. yum!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mimi123 View Post
            I've been on the diet since Jan.3rd, but I got out of ketosis and gave in like crazy today. I craved them carbs and I ended up binging on junk. I feel so down and depressed, I know it's not worth it, but I didn't even care. I feel like crap though, I feel like throwing up.
            My mom thinks it's really bad for me, that I'm gonna get myself sick, and that I need fruits and sugar to function properly. Some people say this diet is only if you're overweight or sensitive to insulin, or whatever medical condition you may have. She thinks I could eat some carbs, and that I just need to exercise on a "balanced diet" and whatnot. I don't feel like I have the energy or motivation to work out though. I feel tired and depressed almost all the time.
            She also thinks it's really expensive (I wanted to buy organic coconut oil/flour, flaxseed, high fat cream, etc.). I was so happy and excited and so committed, for the first time, I was really convinced and totally into it. If someone knows how to save some money and suppress appetite and hunger, please let me know. Sometimes I get really hungry, even when I eat a lot, even when I was in ketosis.
            I'm 18, my weight is about 59 kilos, it was 56 when I was on keto. ((( Any advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated..
            Mimi,

You don't need ketosis. You need lots of fruit and veg , probably 70-100 grams a day. PB is not a crash diet so don't expect rapid results. Just eat lots of fruit, veg, meat and fat and you will see the little bit of weight you have melt off over time.

At 18yo you need food so feed the machine. Just avoid dairy, wheat, and anything else with an ingredient list or in a package.

If you are hungry eat mor FAT!!!

Good luck to you!

Comment

• Hi everyone,

Started eating primal about 3 weeks ago and I am absolutely loving it. I've always been more carnivore than herbivore so this eating style suits me fine.

Also I am loving the fitness side of it. I am going to start my first set of sprints tonight so fingers crossed. Already doing the body weight stuff and I am almost there on my first proper (non cheating) chin up.

I've never been a big water drinker so was happy to see an old blog of Marks taking about how our water intake does not have to be the religious 8 glasses.

I was surprised however to see on the pictures of Mark 'that appear on the top of the web page' that he needs at least 8 gallons when he does his beach sprints - seems a bit excessive!!!!

Comment

• Thank you so much!!

Comment

• Hello all, first post for me. I've been reading extensively about eating primally, purchased the 21-day transformation etc. I'm a bit discouraged at the moment as I've been doing primal for 2 weeks today and only lost a pound. First week it was 2 lbs off… second week 1 pound back on? Has anyone had this experience? Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong… is it possible this is not suited to me? I'm 47, 5'3" and weight 123lb - usually 118lb but can't shift Christmas weight. Historically I run 5 miles a day and also do yoga… have been relaxing this a bit after reading the primal take on exercise. Back at it now… Many thanks for any thoughts, René
                  Last edited by Rene17; 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• hello

Primal Fuel

Hey Everyone! I have made it through my first week! I have lost a few pounds, well down four & back up two. My question is how do I know if I am eating enough?
                    I have been a carb junkie my entire life. The first two days of going primal I felt like a drug addict going through detox. It was bad, really bad, but I think I did really well & have made it through the first week with no setbacks. I haven't had any processed crap. I haven't had any added sugar. I had half a banana & half an apple on the first few days when I was so shaky I thought I'd pass out. I cook with olive, butter, & coconut oils, I made some "bread" with almond flour/eggs that isn't terrible & have that for snacks with cashew butter. I snack on nuts. I am just not that hungry now. I used to have to eat about every 2.5 hours all day long! Wow, I was in bad shape. Now that I think my insulin is leveling out I just don't feel the need/desire to eat. I need to lose about 25 lbs (although that is not the reason for going primal) I just want to be healthy! I lost the 25 lbs a few years ago by doing Medifast & basically eating crap in a bag. Yes it works, but I am sure it is not good for me. I have had stomach/intestinal issues for years & I feel like just eating "real" food is the answer. Another thing I am struggling with is feeling depressed & exhausted. I do my best to get 8 hours of sleep at night but it is never deep hard sleep. We are also at the tail of a brutal winter & that is really getting me down. I just want to be sure that it isn't my eating (or lack of) that is stressing my body. I do eat, at least two meals a day (spinach frittata's, chicken & veggies or some meat & veggies cooked in fat) I do eat yogurt with blueberries for breakfast. Do you think I am on the right track? I have not added in exercise yet. I sit at a desk all day long & will start to add something in soon. I am sure that would help my tiredness/depression.
                    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I did go to fitness pal to log my food but some things are just hard to log when it's something I made homemade. Thanks!!
                    Originally posted by Mark Sisson View Post
                    After you create an account, before you do anything else, go introduce yourself to the community. We'd love to meet you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35.html

Now, there are many resources available in this forum and elsewhere that sum up the Primal Blueprint eating plan, fitness routine and lifestyle quite well. If you are new to this forum and don't know "CW" from "SAD", if the concept of fat being good for you is completely foreign, or if you want to jump in head first but just don't know where to begin, check out these resources and the comments in this thread from fellow forum members (aka Grok stars) to learn the basics and get started on your Primal journey.

Forum Rules: Forum Rules - Mark's Daily Apple Forum

Top Forum Threads for Beginners:

Advice for Newbies: Advice for newbies | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page

Primal Acronyms: Primal Acronyms | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page

Griff's Cholesterol Primer: Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2) | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page

Top Blog Posts for Beginners:

The Primal Blueprint 101 Page: Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

The Definitive Guides: Definitive Guides | Mark's Daily Apple

The Definitive Guide to the Primal Blueprint: Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

400+ Reader Comments on Best Advice for Beginners: Contest: Give Advice, Win Books | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Succeed with The Primal Blueprint (PB Diagrams): How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Primal Blueprint Fitness - Free E-book: Primal Blueprint Fitness | Mark's Daily Apple

What to Eat - Primal Blueprint Recipes: Primal Blueprint Recipes | Mark's Daily Apple

More Blog Posts for Beginners:

Who or What is Grok? - Who is Grok? | Mark's Daily Apple

Why Grains Are Unhealthy - Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

A Little Inspiration - Success Stories | Mark's Daily Apple

Primal Blueprint Sample Menu - Low Carb Sample Menu | Mark's Daily Apple

Smart Fuel - Smart Fuel | Mark's Daily Apple

You Might Be Primal If... - Contest: You Might Be Primal If… | Mark's Daily Apple

Take Your Own Personal 30-Day Challenge: The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Challenge Infographic | Mark's Daily Apple

Paid Stuff:

My book - The Primal Blueprint - Books and Media - The Primal Blueprint
                    plus Audio Book Version: Books and Media - The Primal Blueprint Audio Book - Digital Version (MP3)

The Primal Blueprint Cookbook - http://primalblueprint.com/products/...-Cookbook.html

The Primal Leap - One-on-One Support - Services - The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Transformation Program

Primal Fuel - Supplements - Primal Fuel

There's much much more on MDA and in this forum for beginners and veterans alike. Check out the archives and blog post categories (Archives | Mark's Daily Apple), give the forum/site a search or post a thread in the forum to get answers to all of your Primal Blueprint-related questions.

What am I missing, everyone? Help me make this sticky a great resource for all newcomers. Share your thoughts, links and lists for beginners here. Grok on!

Comment

• Yes I have issues with colitis & IBS. I have had problems my entire life. I had a dr. tell me when I was 10 that if I ate four bowls of raisin bran every day for the rest of my life I'd be fine. Well I haven't ever been fine. I have only been eating primal for 8 days but I have had a normal bowel movement every day (which has never in my life happened) & I don't have any pain or cramping. I feel like this is the answer to my stomach/intestine issues. I am curious to see how it goes long term but so far, I am pretty impressed. I hope you can encourage him to try it. That is all I'm doing. I figured what do I have to lose, right? I am dedicated to it for now.

Comment

• I need some help! It's only been 10 days but I feel a little bit like my body is stressed. I have been very faithful to no grains, beans, sugar, processed crap. I lost 4 lbs the first two days, gained two back, lost 1, gained two back. Is this normal?? I have had a headache for a few days & feel a little foggy. Out of the 10 days I have felt great 1 day. I am afraid I'm not eating enough.
                        Any advice?? Also really tired.
                        Thanks!!
                        Robin C

Comment

• Thanks

Comment

• Hi friends..

I have been primal for last three months and have lost almost 17 kgs. I am also suffering from hypothyroidism. I am taking a medication almost 50mcg for it.

everything is going great except:

1. my hameoglobin has dropped from 14 to 10.8
                            2. people tell me that i look pale and weak and that vitality from my face is gone.
                            3. albumin/ globulin ration is reversed

can anyone suggest what do i need to do. I have been taking iron supplement for a month now.

Comment

• hi friends
                              i am here to provide you information about how to cure skin disease.
                              if have any issue related to skin problems please visit

skin diseases

Comment

• Hi everyone. I'm just a couple days into primal dieting. I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone on here.

Comment

Working...
                                X