Aching joints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aching joints

Well... I've been eating primal for two weeks now and I've really stuck at it. I felt great until yesterday. Now my shoulders, wrists, ankles and toe joints are hurting like mad... feels like toothache of the joints. Anyone have any idea why this might be? I'm not eating any new foods but have cut out bread, grains, potatoes, milk, most fruits and legumes.

Gout?

If your uric acid was a little high and you cut out the carbs and maybe broke down some muscle (which releases purines), or if you ate a lot of organ meats, herring, shellfish ... stuff high in purines ... you uric acid might have passed the borderline into an acute gout attack? The big toes and thumbs are usually the worst places.

Have some cherries or cherry juice (quite a lot), and eat some dairy food, see if it gets better. If it does, have your uric acid levels tested. Something about dairy protein and cherries tells the kidneys to collect and excrete uric acid. Watch out for beer. It has a lot of a purine in it.

Comment

Originally posted by fortunata View Post
      Well... I've been eating primal for two weeks now and I've really stuck at it. I felt great until yesterday. Now my shoulders, wrists, ankles and toe joints are hurting like mad... feels like toothache of the joints. Anyone have any idea why this might be? I'm not eating any new foods but have cut out bread, grains, potatoes, milk, most fruits and legumes.
      All doctors are trained (apparently) to automatically say "Probably arthritis. What do you expect. You are getting old." (They start saying this when you turn 30.)

Seriously, I hope it goes away quickly.
      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Aching joints

Thanks for the replies, guys. I haven't drunk much fluid over the last few days. Maybe I've got something swilling around that needs flushing out.

Comment

have you been exercising more than usual?

I second the cherry juice (try and get the sugar free one!) as my grandpa has gout and I gave him some, he says it has really cleared it up!

woo for the healing power of fruit!
          Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
          **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I haven't drunk much fluid over the last few days. Maybe I've got something swilling around that needs flushing out.
            GASP ! You must drink enough water every day so your pee is a very light yellow color. Doctors Grizz's Orders!

Grizz

Comment

Carb flu! I felt just like that about a month in ... and it lasted for a good two weeks.

Comment

netburn,

Were you on super restricted carbs < 50 per day at the time [Into Ketosis] ? Roughly how many carbs a day were you eating?

Best of health to all,
                Grizz

Comment

I've just learnt that it's tomatoes which do this to me. Maybe try cutting out nightshades and see how you go (that's spuds (if you eat 'em, I don't think anyone here does) aubergine and tomatoes)).
                  La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

Originally posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
                    I've just learnt that it's tomatoes which do this to me. Maybe try cutting out nightshades and see how you go (that's spuds (if you eat 'em, I don't think anyone here does) aubergine and tomatoes)).
                    That"s really interesting! I've eaten loads of tomatoes over the last couple of weeks! Will cut them out and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post

Me too! Nightshades but peppers in particular.

Have you done any reading wrt anti-inflammatory foods?

Comment

Nightshades don't seem to bother all/most folks, but do seem to lead to issues (often joint pain/arthrities related) for some. I've not stuck to keeping them out personally to test it for myself...

I'd def. try the cherry juice etc first though.

http://hubpages.com/hub/nightshades

http://www.nightshadefree.com/nights...ergy-symptoms/
                        My Before/After Pics
                        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

That"s really interesting! I've eaten loads of tomatoes over the last couple of weeks! Will cut them out and see if it makes a difference.
                          Eating a lot of tomatoes does this to me too. A 8 oz glass of V8 juice and I'm miserable.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Nightshades, huh? And to think I've been eating TONS of tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant over the last few weeks, since that's what's in season here now. Well, broccoli and cauliflower will be all the rage soon...

Good luck with the joint pain. Let us know if you have any relief by cutting out the tomatoes, etc.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51572.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tawny View Post
                              Nightshades, huh? And to think I've been eating TONS of tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant over the last few weeks, since that's what's in season here now. Well, broccoli and cauliflower will be all the rage soon...

Good luck with the joint pain. Let us know if you have any relief by cutting out the tomatoes, etc.
                              Haven't eaten any nightshade family stuff for the last few days and joints feeling much better.
                              Will start a new thread about weight gain. Not sure what's happening to my bloody body at the moment!
                              Thanks, everyone who replied.

Comment

Working...
                              X