Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm beginning to think it isn't for everyone...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm beginning to think it isn't for everyone...

I have for the past 4 weeks been living completely primal. However, nothing is changing.....
    I didn't eat sugar or wheat before going primal, but still indulged in other grains on occasion. I already ate organic vegetables and grass fed meat, so this way of eating isn't much of a leap for me. I do need to lose about 20 pounds and I'm so discouraged. Oh, and I've been doing p90x. What is wrong with this petite girl that I cannot lose weight? I've been eating around 1500 calories a day.

What are your stats? How old are you, height and weight?

Comment

Are you stressed? Are you happy? Do you feel loved? Are you relaxed? Are you getting enough sleep?
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Yeah, more information is needed.

Also, 4 weeks is not long enough, especially if you were already half-way there prior to cutting out grains entirely.

How often do you do 90x/with what intensity?
        - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Jeffiejoe,

You are doing P90x on only 1500 calories a day? IMO your body has gone into "Starvation Mode" which burns muscle to preserve fat.
          There are many messages at FitDay mentioning the need for more calories needed to fuel the P90x training. I'm sure that Mark would say to add protein & fat calories to boost your diet calories.

More details on "Starvation Mode" here:
          18.0) BEWARE “STARVATION MODE,” can’t lose weight?
          ===============================================
          You cannot trick your body into burning fat by starving yourself. If you try to starve yourself, ( insufficient calories a day) your body will simply switch to “Starvation Mode” to save fat and burn muscle. This situation becomes insanely complex.
          http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_you_sta...r_muscle_first
          * 17 reasons for not losing weight
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-re...losing-weight/
          * Break Through Your Weight Loss Plateau
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/weight-loss-plateau/

Grizz
          Last edited by Grizz; 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
            Jeffiejoe,

You are doing P90x on only 1500 calories a day? IMO your body has gone into "Starvation Mode" which burns muscle to preserve fat.
            This is exactly what I was thinking too.

Overtrained and underfed
            makes for no muscle and flab.... instead?

Ha.
            - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Depending on your current "regime", there's plenty of room to mix things up. Many of us have to modify the basic plan.

Maybe try two weeks higher fat (therefore higher calorie); or two weeks low fat (find Kuno1chi's journal - she eats lean foods and is having success); do you do dairy and nuts? They block some people's progress.
              Where are you coming from? As in, any underlying medical issues?
              Intermittant fasting is another tool in the goody bag.

I only lost weight on a 3 day egg fast!! But I'm "special", haha.

Pick an idea, read up on it, and give it a shot. If you feel like crud, it's probably not for you

Comment

Are you in ketosis? How many gs of carbs are you consuming a day? Personally I need to be in heavy ketosis before I can shift a pound, although everyone is different.

Comment

Recent article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-public-health
                  Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

Also, are you taking measurements or just weighing yourself? I've found that my physical size is dropping far more rapidly than the scale numbers. You may find that you are losing fat but not weighing less.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by TCOHTom View Post
                      Pretty good article, thanks for sharing. This quote was a bit of a hoot:

"We know that dietary behaviour is quite a negative behaviour – we're having to deny ourselves something. There aren't any diets out there that people enjoy. But people do enjoy being physically active."

Not that Primal living is a diet, but I certainly enjoy what I eat and don't feel like I am denying myself.

Anyway, I do understand people's frustrations with the seemingly contradictory info about losing weight:
                      Eat fewer calories vs. eat more calories. I guess everyone needs to experiment more, and definitely make sure you are getting enough fat.

As for "Exercise won't make you thin," yes this is true in the sense that physical activity stimulates appetite (as it should), but I imagine most people following CW will simply increase their intake of carb-based foods (isn't that what you "need" after working out?), thereby worsening their situation and not seeing the weight-loss they seek. This is another reason for why eating Primally works -- if you feel ravenous post-workout, eat some fatty meat and there is no problem
                      Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

36 years old
                        5'2"
                        148 lbs

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                        What are your stats? How old are you, height and weight?

Comment

Stressed? Well, I'm the mother of two teenage daughter and we do school at home. So, yes, at times I am
                          Loved? Most Definitely!
                          Relaxed? I'd have to say no about this weight. It's crept on quite quickly and I feel so over the top fat and desperate to get it off!
                          Sleep? Yes, I'd say that I get plenty. Anywhere between 7-10 hours a night.

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                          Are you stressed? Are you happy? Do you feel loved? Are you relaxed? Are you getting enough sleep?

Comment

How long do you think if 4 weeks is not enough?

I've been doing P90X daily for the past 14 days and prior to that about 3-4 times a week. I'm not sure how to judge intensity levels. I'm usually an all or nothing type of gal, so I work hard when I work out.

Originally posted by doghead View Post
                            Yeah, more information is needed.

Also, 4 weeks is not long enough, especially if you were already half-way there prior to cutting out grains entirely.

How often do you do 90x/with what intensity?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion! After reading the article, 17 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight, I'm thinking that I snack too much on nuts. I also love to drink a glass of cold raw milk and use heavy cream in my eggs or over some berries. I'm going to try cutting that out and see if that helps!

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
                              Depending on your current "regime", there's plenty of room to mix things up. Many of us have to modify the basic plan.

Maybe try two weeks higher fat (therefore higher calorie); or two weeks low fat (find Kuno1chi's journal - she eats lean foods and is having success); do you do dairy and nuts? They block some people's progress.
                              Where are you coming from? As in, any underlying medical issues?
                              Intermittant fasting is another tool in the goody bag.

I only lost weight on a 3 day egg fast!! But I'm "special", haha.

Pick an idea, read up on it, and give it a shot. If you feel like crud, it's probably not for you
                              Last edited by Jeffiejoe; 09-23-2010, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X