Hello from a shy grokette in Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a shy grokette in Florida

Hello. I've been lurking here for several months. I'm the shy type so I haven't posted but once but I wanted to say hello and say what a difference being primal is making in my life.

I started the year at 200lbs and in a tight size 18 pair of relaxed fit jeans. (My all time highest was 230lbs and a size 22.) At only 5'4 you can probably imagine how bad I felt about myself. When I saw pics of myself from the New Year's Eve party, I decided that I was going to lose weight. On May 30, 2009 I quit smoking and July 6, 2009 I quit drinking and I figure if I could do that, I could do anything.

I started the weight loss by cutting calories. I didn't really know where to start so I googled and found out about BMR and figured that I should be keeping my diet to about 1000-1200 calories. I started losing but felt faint much of the time and had episodes of low blood sugar all day long. I had to pack snacks to go anywhere. Thankfully, I did more research and learned that I was starving my body. I started tracking with daily plate and brought my calories up to 1500-1700 with about 200g of carbs each day and started lifting weights.

The weight loss was slow but my body was changing for the better. Eventually though, I hit the wall and was so low energy that I didn't see how I could keep the workouts going. In frustration I hit google again and found Mark's Daily Apple. I read, and lurked and ordered the book and at the end of June I started going primal. I won't lie. The first two weeks sucked but after I adjusted, I started to see improvements.

I didn't have low blood sugar anymore. I eased up on the workouts and started seeing drastic changes in my body composition. The best part is I have had heat induced hives for 15 years and since cutting out the wheat and sugar, my hives are gone. I can't tell you how much that has changed my life living here in Florida.

I'm now down to 170lbs and I wear a size 12 jeans. Those jeans were my goal jeans but now I see that being primal I can achieve more and be even healthier. That's great but nothing compared to how healthy I feel. My husband and daughter have gone mostly primal and they are gaining health and losing weight too. We are an active family now and that is something I never thought we would achieve.

I am so grateful to have discovered Primal Blueprint. I just wanted to share that. Thanks for reading. =)

Thanks so much for sharing! What a wonderful primal story. Good luck to you and your family in continuing this fantastic lifestyle!
    I blog here: http://www.primalkat.blogspot.com/

Comment

+1 on the thank you. i love reading these stories. and you should post more often.
      sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

welcome, no need to be shy;-)
        Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to lurking less and posting more. =)

Comment

Great story...thanks for sharing it. Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the the PB forums. Hope to read more posts from you.
            312/149/150

Comment

What a great story! You're right. If you can quit smoking and drinking, you can do anything! ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X