No announcement yet.

Kosher and primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't keep kosher, but my mom does (and we're Italkim, so the rules are even weirder) and I may have a couple of answers to your questions.
    Originally posted by labbygail View Post
    -Challah. It's practically a mitzvah to eat challah, and I loooooove it. I know non-Jews have dietary rituals and holidays too, but they don't have a religious requirement to eat bread. Since I'm not good at "moderation," it really derails me. Some people will have no problem with this being part of their 20%.
    Challah: so have a little piece of challah on Friday nights. Make it your 20%. It's not that big a deal. Just don't eat the whole damn thing.

-While we don't eat out at restaurants a lot, we do eat out at other people's homes a lot, or at the synagogue. Those are the main times I have trouble because I feel left out of the community when I can't eat their food. Sure they'll make me food I can eat, but keeping kosher is about being part of a community who all eat the same way, and now it feels like I've placed myself outside the community.
    What are people eating that you can't eat? For Rosh Hashana this year, here is what was served at the house I attended:
    chopped liver with pickles, served with crackers: I ate mine with a spoon instead.
    Challah, apples and honey: I ate a little bit of all of these. Happy new year, after all!
    squash ravioli in sage brown butter sauce: I took the insides out of the ravioli and ate the squash in brown butter.
    Braised chicken in raisins and almonds: totally primal! Yay! I'll have two.
    potato pea curry: I had some of this. Potatoes once in a while aren't so bad.
    saffron rice: no thanks!
    apple torte for dessert: I brought some dark chocolate balls and shared.
    Red wine: yes please!

What I'm saying is...you can make due. Eat what you can eat and if you absolutely can't find something to eat, think of the meal as "doing the best I can".

-A lot of people who keep kosher eat "dairy out" (like me). When we go to a restaurant, the only thing I can order is grilled fish and veggies. Delicious, and keeps me from having to bother with the menu, but it does contribute to feeling deprived.

-Depending on how liberal your synagogue is, you may run into vegetarians or near-vegetarians who believe that kashrut was intended as a concession to humans' desire to eat meat. I get into arguments with these folks.
    Don't feel deprived! Fish and veggies: so delicious. Change things up: have an appetizer and a salad instead. Play around.
    Why do you need to argue with them about their beliefs (other than the fact that you're Jewish and we like to argue)? Abstain.

Cook with butter, cook with oil, eat meat and veggies. Eat fish and veggies. It's better than Passover because you don't have to eat that constipating crap anymore. Hurrah!

Comment

Gini, you have such a positive attitude :-). There is almost always something I can eat, too, even if I have to bring it myself, but I have never in my life been one to turn down food if it is offered or even there. (Actually, I have plenty of practice in turning down non-kosher food, but that's different because I stick to that almost 100%, and I'm not ready to be that strict with Primal.) Anyway, I admire the way you see the glass as half-full, making do as best as you can and just enjoying the food.

I know, challah is okay, 20%, yadda yadda, but for some reason one little piece does sometimes derail my self-control. I think it's because it has the aura of "forbidden," but I'm "allowed" it. I guess I should start a primal journal if I want to do any more navel-gazing than that.

I'm curious, what are the rules for Italkim?

Comment

kosher & primal

is anyone still around on this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by rosasharon View Post
          is anyone still around on this thread?
          Yep. I don't check most of the forum messages, but your message caught my eye because kosher and primal is a bit of a "niche market."

Comment

kosher and primal

Yep. I don't check most of the forum messages, but your message caught my eye because kosher and primal is a bit of a "niche market."
            that it is, labbygail! i'm still feeling my way through the transition, especially as i was a 24/6 vegetarian (meat/chicken only on shabbat or holidays) most of the time. it's kind of strange to think about chicken for work lunches now

looking forward,
            S

Comment

I find Kosher. My mom prefer Kosher mostly.Because the vegetarian meal is completely grain based.

Comment

Working...
              X