Anyone from SW Ohio??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hannahc View Post
    They actually send the beef to a custom butcher, and they'll do pretty much whatever you want them to. I asked that they not trim the cuts much at all, as I wanted to decide how much fat to keep on my steaks, and they honored that completely. They process their ground beef at either 85/15 or 80/20 standard, I can't remember which. Either way, it's not lean by any stretch! I also ordered as many bones as I could get, as well as extra suet, and still have 3 gigantic bags full in my freezer (we have a large freezer in the basement). I won't do that again this year, but mostly because we just didn't use them like I thought we would. I definitely enjoyed working with them, both the owners and the butcher were very helpful being that last year was the first time I'd ever ordered a side of anything. The beef tastes amazing, the fat is better than butter (we couldn't believe how good it tasted), every single cut was great (though I spent a good deal of time learning how to prepare all sorts of different cuts), and we were very sad to run out!
    Thanks so much, I have been hoping to find a recommendation because there are a lot of options. How long did 1/2 last your family?
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev View Post
      Thanks so much, I have been hoping to find a recommendation because there are a lot of options. How long did 1/2 last your family?
      Hahaha, well "family" is just me and the husband...we got 288 pounds from them, probably 220 pounds of meat (the rest bones/suet/liver...they had leftover liver from the previous year and I bought it for the dogs). After 6 months we had about 20 pounds total left. To be fair, we spent VERY little on meat all through the winter and spring, because we ate the beef A LOT! It's not fun spending $60 a week on meat again! That's why we are going to buy a full cow this year, so that we can make it last a year this time. A "normal" family, even with kids, would probably only need a side of beef for a whole year, but we aren't exactly normal
      You are what you eat,
      and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

PS, if you decide to order from them, please please tell them I sent you (I'll PM you my full name)!! It'll give me a bit of a discount
        You are what you eat,
        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

thanks for all the information.

Comment

Originally posted by hannahc View Post
            PS, if you decide to order from them, please please tell them I sent you (I'll PM you my full name)!! It'll give me a bit of a discount
            I'll do that for sure.
            Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

hey grok and grol

where are you located? i'm in cinci...........just joined a few days ago and i love this site.

btw, darth friendly, i made the best chili (not cincinnati chili) with a almost a whole grass fed organic beef heart, about 1.5 lbs. 'twas so yummy!

Comment

hi kev, don't you love EFFL? i get stuff from them all the time, today i got one of their turkeys. have you met dan kremer? he's awesome.

Comment

I live in the middletown area

Comment

Did a search on the forum and found this thread to respond to rather than creating a new one. I'm in the Dayton (Kettering) area. Can we get enough people together for the Grokfeast Challenge?

Comment

i am near Dayton

Comment

I'm in Troy! (North of Dayton). I would love to do a Grokfeast, but I'm leaving on Friday for school.

Comment

Bump.

Anyone else?

Comment

I am from Cincinnati but go to school at the University of Dayton. I didn't realize there were so many of us in the area!

Comment

Anna, Ohio here...have purchased from EFFL and have always been happy.

Comment

I'm in Cincinnati! Just started the Primal diet a month ago!!
                                Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
                                SW: 228lb
                                GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
                                12/30/11- 229
                                1/7/12- 225
                                1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
                                5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

Comment

Working...
                                X