Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confusion over pH, primal eating, and getting alkaline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Confusion over pH, primal eating, and getting alkaline

    I've been primal for two years and, even though I'm completely off the wheat, my eczema often flares up. In some internet research, I found that low pH is often a contributing factor for skin issues. I got a little test kit with litmus paper and have been testing saliva and urine over the past few days and have found my pH to be around 4.5-5, which is pretty acidic. I have learned that the blood stays around 7.3, but in order to do that, it pulls reserves from the body which may be making my urine and saliva so acidic. I've also learned that having low pH can cause all kinds of other problems, so becoming more alkaline would be a good thing.

    Even though I eat a leafy green salad every day for lunch and at least one green veggie each night, I still have the low pH. I'm assuming this is because of my high intake of fats and animal proteins. Is this drinking "alkalizing water" really a good thing or a fad? I have added a spirulina supplement and hope to see effects from that, but would like to get alkalized quickly. I also fear that I'm losing minerals by being too acidic but and confused about how to get the proper mineral balance back.

    Any thoughts on drinking alkalizing water, staying alkalized on a primal diet, and the general effects of a low pH?

    Thanks, Kristi

  • #2
    I hate to tell you this, Kristy, but whoever sold you those test strips pulled a fast one on you.

    The whole ph thing is utter bunk. The body tightly regulates blood ph which is the only thing that matters. But it does not do this by "pulling reserves from the body". It does this by excreting the excess in either direction of optimal in the urine. So all those test strips did was tell you that your body is doing it's job just fine.

    Relax, eat your primal food, and let your body do it's thing.

    Comment


    • #3
      Mark does address pH in his post calcium-for-women

      "An “alkaline” diet includes copious amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables."

      Why don't you experiment with altering your diet with produce and see what changes result?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        I hate to tell you this, Kristy, but whoever sold you those test strips pulled a fast one on you.

        The whole ph thing is utter bunk. The body tightly regulates blood ph which is the only thing that matters. But it does not do this by "pulling reserves from the body". It does this by excreting the excess in either direction of optimal in the urine. So all those test strips did was tell you that your body is doing it's job just fine.

        Relax, eat your primal food, and let your body do it's thing.
        Thanks for the input, but I believe there is actually some science to it. An M.D. Actually told me about the link of low pH and eczema during my initial consultation, then I followed up with my own Internet research. Also, there are a few pretty interesting peer reviewed studies out there linking low pH with mineral loss Acid-base imbalance and the skeleton. [Eur J Nutr. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI , for example

        Does anyone else have anything to offer? I can wait until my next doctor visit and see what the spirulina does to affect my pH, but thought I'd ask around here first.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm sure you will believe what ever you choose to believe but please, read this first.

          Your Urine is Not a Window to Your Body: pH Balancing – A Failed Hypothesis | Science-Based Pharmacy

          Comment


          • #6
            I went off of wheat but my skin did not clear up until I eliminated dairy as well. It was just an experiment, but it worked so well I never went back.
            As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jennifla View Post
              I went off of wheat but my skin did not clear up until I eliminated dairy as well. It was just an experiment, but it worked so well I never went back.
              Thanks, I've heard that dairy is probably a problem but I love my Greek yogurt so I've been avoiding giving it up. Sounds like a few weeks off the dairy may be a good experiment.

              Comment


              • #8
                Eat more veg...your plate should be 2/3 veg.
                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                PS
                Don't forget to play!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm with Paleobird on the topic of pH. She is correct.

                  I would suspect either a food intolerance or overall inflammation being the cause.

                  Have you had your D3 blood level tested? My eczema went away once I got my blood level up. Optimal is 50-60 ng/ml.
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                    I'm with Paleobird on the topic of pH. She is correct.

                    I would suspect either a food intolerance or overall inflammation being the cause.

                    Have you had your D3 blood level tested? My eczema went away once I got my blood level up. Optimal is 50-60 ng/ml.
                    That's a good point and why I went in for the initial consultation with the doctor. I want all vitamin levels checked but he did mention a pH balance potentially being the cause. I will wait to get the bloodwork back and do some experimenting with dairy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The problem with testing the Ph of your urine or saliva is that it can be affected by so many things that have nothing to do with blood ph. If you are slightly dehydrated causing your urine to be more concentrated, or if you have a uti, can all have an affect on your urine ph. The last thing you ate could change your saliva's ph.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X