Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone point me to Mark's post on vegetable oils?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone point me to Mark's post on vegetable oils?

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been reading Mark's blog for about a year or so. I loved his post on vegetable oils but despite reading it many times, at the supermarket I get my safflowers and sunflowers confused, or my rapeseed and red palm oils. So this time I'll bookmark it, but I can't find it any more! Could somebody please post the link for me?

Thanks a lot,

Stephen

Welcome to the forum!

Mark has written several posts on oils over the years. Is this the one you're looking for?
    Healthy Oils - Mark's Daily Apple

Also, Mark has revised his harsh stance on sunflower oil from that previous post. He now says that if it is high-oleic variety and cold-pressed, then it is alright: Is it Primal? Sunflower Oil, Wheat Germ, Skyr, and Other Foods Scrutinized - Mark's Daily Apple

What I have come to find over the years that I've been actually paying attention to what I eat is that quality always matters. Chicken wings deep fried in lard might be Primal/Paleo approved, but if the chicken and pork were raised in a CAFO and had terrible diet and lifestyle, then it's not going to be the best thing to eat. However if the chickens/pigs were humanely raised and fed a good diet, they will have a different fatty-acid composition and micronutrient profile. The end product is a much healthier.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 04-25-2013, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the links, I look forward to viewing the second one once I have a moment. I'm with you on the quality thing, that's another factor that makes shopping more difficult. I recall Mark said of red palm oil that it's partly a sustainability issue, which isn't always easy to find out from reading labels. And I can easily find good quality honey - but is it raw? It can be a frustrating search, but rewarding when you find the good stuff!

Stephen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebairt View Post
        Thanks for the links, I look forward to viewing the second one once I have a moment. I'm with you on the quality thing, that's another factor that makes shopping more difficult. I recall Mark said of red palm oil that it's partly a sustainability issue, which isn't always easy to find out from reading labels. And I can easily find good quality honey - but is it raw? It can be a frustrating search, but rewarding when you find the good stuff!

Stephen.
        Yep. It does require more leg work to find good sources for some things, at least initially. Most honey I see here proclaims its raw-ness on the label if it is such.

I have only bought red palm oil once from Tropical Traditions when it went on super-sale. It has been back-ordered/out of stock for quite some time: Virgin Red Palm Oil - Tropical Traditions
        I'm guessing their supplier/farmers went out of the business and they have been unable to locate a new supply.

Comment

Working...
        X