Primal Diet vs. Sustainability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Diet vs. Sustainability

Assuming that all the benefits you ascribe to eating a primal diet are accurate, have you considered the macro effects on world nutritional levels if this diet was to be globally implemented? Many would argue that current population levels are unsustainable even given a universal grain based diet*. Given that it takes 6 grams of plant protein to produce one gram of animal protein, even if the entire worlds grain production was diverted to growing feed for livestock and vegetables for humans, massive starvation would result. The cost of meat and dairy products would skyrocket, oceans would soon be depleted of edible creatures, the disparity between rich and poor would widen to even greater levels, food riots would erupt and the social disruption would exceed anything depicted in the most apocalyptical disaster movie.

*Sustainability of meat-based and plant-based diets and the environment

Thanks for the vegan propaganda full of erroneous assumptions. Eating this way gives us good reason to like what we see when we look in the mirror, both literally and figuratively.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Gerry- your point? Since conventional wisdom pretty much has a stranglehold on the general population, and most people when told about Primal/Paleo respond with some variant of "But I couldn't live without bread or pasta!" I don't think there's a lot of concern.
      High Weight: 225
      Weight at start of Primal: 189
      Current Weight: 174
      Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

The solution to this dilemma is obvious, we eat the excess population of people. Problem solved! Since so many vegans are intent on eating like CAFO animals I suggest we start with them.

Comment

maybe population shrinkage is what we're secretly aiming for

we tell the world how healthy we are with this diet, we photoshop pictures of average joes into looking like studly beefcakes, we fake up blood test results and we pretend to like liver all as part of our plan for world dominance

and when our religious group finally out numbers the rest of you, we will slaughter a mother cow in front of her baby and give a shout out to satan

i think. that's what i was told the plan was, anyway
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

You know what isn't sustainable? Conventional farming practices. Here ya go, a 30-year side-by-side study of conventional and organic: Farming Systems Trial: Overview | Rodale Institute

Also, bear in mind how much of the Earth's land is actually used to produce food versus how much isn't. I think we actually need more people farming, and not necessarily less people eating

Comment

Originally posted by specsaregrok View Post
              the solution to this dilemma is obvious, we eat the excess population of people. Problem solved! Since so many vegans are intent on eating like cafo animals i suggest we start with them.
              lol
              High Weight: 225
              Weight at start of Primal: 189
              Current Weight: 174
              Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Originally posted by specsAreGrok View Post
                The solution...we eat...people. Problem solved!
                An essay on that:

Why You Should Eat Human Flesh! | healthkicker

Comment

I refuse to eat anything but grass fed people!

Comment

I agree, it's probably not a rational worry but interesting to note that, like many other things, what is obviously good for the individual may be harmful for society as a whole. I am reminded of the fact that while saving, spending wisely, and avoiding debt is manifestly good advice for the individual, if practiced by every American would result in plunging GDP levels and a deflationary depression (consumer spending makes up the majority of US GDP.) Perhaps when such dichotomies occur we should immediately suspect some sort of dysfunction with society.

Comment

Originally posted by GerryM View Post
                      I agree, it's probably not a rational worry but interesting to note that, like many other things, what is obviously good for the individual may be harmful for society as a whole
                      Building entire ecosystems back up where the monocrops and fertilizers have eaten the topsoil to nothing would be harmful to society? I don't agree with the premise is my point, Sir. That's one of the many reasons a lot of us know our farmers, and like to meet our meat while it's still mooing.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

If the world went primal, there would be plenty of men currently hoarding wealth whose purpose is to desecrate the planet and the body, and I would abstain from the world's meat and vegetable supply by going on a strict diet of them and their henchmen.
                        "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
                          If the world went primal, there would be plenty of men currently hoarding wealth whose purpose is to desecrate the planet and the body, and I would abstain from the world's meat and vegetable supply by going on a strict diet of them and their henchmen.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Perfect is the enemy of good.
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I always find that grain to meat ratio amusing. it leaves out so much information and leads one to assume it is a valid comparison. We dont advocate eating grain fed animals, but pastured animals that live on the land and not in a factory. Land used this was is quite sustainable and the food produced per acre is much higher than if you grew grain and used that to feed the animals.

This also assumes that feeding the starving millions with the grain we use would be a much better use of the grain but we know this is not a healthy way to feed humans. If we stop trying to feed the starving millions with cheap first world grain and instead let them raise their own food and earn their own living, a lot less of the world would be starving.

I hear this idiotic argument all the time, the veg heads spout this falderall as if it is a fact and they believe it. This saddens me but there is no way to heal stupid.
                              Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Working...
                              X