Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juicing Vegetables

Hi there!
    We're not entirely new to primal living (we've been eating paleo for a little while now). I am interested to know about juicing vegetables and I know that you don't recommend it for fruits. Between being full-time in school online, two children and my husbands crazy schedule in the Marines, rarely is there time for me. I want to know if I can get more vegetables in by juicing them (if that's ok). Thanks for any help on this topic, I appreciate it!

Jessica

Juicing vegetables is a good way to get a concentrated dose of polyunsaturated fat
    Make America Great Again

Comment

So it is ok? The reason I was asking is if I need to be concerned about losing nutritional value from the skins while juicing. Thanks for the info! :-)

Comment

Nah it's not ok. It's far better to throughly cook all cruciferous vegetables. Also, fruit juice is anti-inflammatory and very good for you. You have it kinda backwards.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

Oh ok. Well I was reading that primal blueprint and in it it says that juicing fruits isn't ok because you lose nutritional value from the skins but nothing was said about veggies. Thanks :-)

Comment

Originally posted by MarineWifey247 View Post
            it says that juicing fruits isn't ok because you lose nutritional value from the skins but nothing was said about veggies. Thanks :-)
            lol that's real funny

np
            Make America Great Again

Comment

No juicing of vegetables here, I prefer “souping” instead for not losing fibers and other nutrients…
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                No juicing of vegetables here, I prefer “souping” instead for not losing fibers and other nutrients…
                This is a fine idea. Green broths are pretty good.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

The souping of veggies is a great idea! I will try that! Thanks :-) I wasn't looking a the juicing idea for regular consumption but as a supplemental way to get in more :-) Thanks for the advice!

Comment

I agree with Mark that juicing fruit kinda misses the point. Sure, fruit juice has nutrients, but you're also losing some in the juicing process. It's easy to overdo fruit juice, which is basically sugar water with a few nutrients in it. You're probably better off eating whole fruit.

Comment

I think that's a great idea Jessica! I always use my blender to juice our fruit and veggies, especially for breakfast.
                      I wrote a great breakfast recipe which is great for vegans or anyone who wants a great nutriet/antioxidant intake:

Breakfast Shake Recipe for Vegans...or Anyone - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Enjoy! Of course this recipe can be entirely tweaked towards your preference.

Cheers!

Brian Nametko

Comment

Juicing veg is great for a bunch of reasons BUT you do lose the fiber content.
                        When i had severe colitis it was my go-to to make sure i was getting high quality micronutrients.
                        But way better to make a salad!
                        If you are looking to replace a meal, maybe add some melted coconut oil to it. Fat often helps w nutrient transport.

Also, try to drink it as soon as it is juiced or store briefly in a container where there is little air space. Once nutrients are exposed to air they begin losing their nutritional content.

Comment

If you want an all around flexible machine that will juice most fruits and vegetables, I'd get a masticating juicer. Though they can be a little expensive. You can also look a centrifugal juicers, which are cheaper, but don't juice leafy vegetables or wheat grass well.

Comment

curious about Greek yoghurt in a shake for vegans. about 70 carbs in that shake. for anyone...except diabetiics
                            When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                            27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                            new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Nametko View Post
                              I think that's a great idea Jessica! I always use my blender to juice our fruit and veggies, especially for breakfast.
                              I wrote a great breakfast recipe which is great for vegans or anyone who wants a great nutriet/antioxidant intake:

Breakfast Shake Recipe for Vegans...or Anyone - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Enjoy! Of course this recipe can be entirely tweaked towards your preference.

Cheers!

Brian Nametko
                              That ain't vegan.

Comment

Working...
                              X