Primal eating / stopping alcohol cravings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal eating / stopping alcohol cravings

Hello, I believe that a paleo, primal diet makes transitioning from a practicing alcoholic to a non drinker vital.
    I stopped drinking and addressed my health and diet issues all at once. I went paleo and stopped sugar and white processed stuff. I was shocked to see how many alcoholics are seriously addicted to sugar. A typical AA meeting has large bowls of candy and or donuts. EVERYONE complains of how to deal with alcohol cravings, but when I got sober I stopped everything that I craved and I DON'T crave alcohol. This is a fascinating theory. Imagine if alcoholism is just a by product of SAD diet. I am a bartender by trade and I DON'T crave alcohol.

That is awesome! It makes sense that it would work for some alcoholics! Congrats and keep up the awesome journey! LOTS to celebrate

Comment

Congratulations of quitting drinking. I think for many people diet is a significant issue when it comes to addiction.
      My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

In this video, Dr Robert Lustig shows how sugar and alcohol are very similar in the way they are processed by the body and the brain receptors they excite. The connection between sugar and alcohol is real.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          In this video, Dr Robert Lustig shows how sugar and alcohol are very similar in the way they are processed by the body and the brain receptors they excite. The connection between sugar and alcohol is real.

Good video, BTW. I heard this back in the early 80's but didn't know what to make of it. A friend who struggled with alcoholism also had a terrible time trying to quit sugar.

Comment

This sugar/alcohol connection makes sense. I am definitely kicking my addiction to both. Just seems the more stress I have on any given day, the more I want a glass of wine.

Comment

me too,Just seems the more stress I have on any given day, the more I want a glass of wine.thanks for your sharing.

Comment

When I eat strict paleo I find that my alcohol cravings disappear as well. In addition to sugar issues, I wonder if it also may be related to the casomorphins and gluteomorphins in dairy and wheat respectively. Whether there is scientific basis for this or not, I don't know, but intuitively it makes perfect sense to me. Alcoholism is a neolithic disease so it stands to reason that neolithic foods are a possible culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post

Good link. I remember Nora Gedgaudas making essentially the same claim in Primal Body, Primal Mind

And I agree. When I drink OR eat sugar, I look forward (crave is maybe too strong a word) to a drink. When I'm ketogenic and alcohol-free, I am truly indifferent.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

hmmm, never thought of this but seems to be (kinda) the case for me too. i started primal in Nov but went off track over the holidays. but come jan 1 i was back on and joined a friend in a "no booze january". i was surprised how easy it has been to stop drinking. i am not an alcoholic but do enjoy my wine so thought i would be more tempted. maybe cutting the carbs contributed.
                    good on you though for turning your life around! that is seriously admirable.

Comment

This is interesting in that since I have given up sugar, grains, etc I longer have alcohol cravings either.

Comment

Congratulations! Its day 23 without drinking and day 22 eating primal for me.

There's always been a link between alcohol consumption and poor eating habits for me, but its all the crap I eat when hungover. I never considered a link in the other direction.

Kinda makes sense though, I've never been one for sugary drinks, but what I did drink was mostly made from grains.
                        "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

I started the GAPS diet in late December and am not having any sugar (occasionally minuscule amounts of honey) or starches, I thought I would seriously miss the wine I usually had with dinner but I haven't missed it. I find this odd because I was never a big fan of sweets. I know when my father stopped drinking he got very into sweets.

Kudos to all of you that have given up alcohol!
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I really don't believe alcoholism to be a by product of a bad diet, but having a healthy lifestyle overall can make it easier to overcome the addiction.
                            My site: Authority Nutrition - My Twitter: @AuthNutrition

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
                              Congratulations! Its day 23 without drinking and day 22 eating primal for me.

There's always been a link between alcohol consumption and poor eating habits for me, but its all the crap I eat when hungover. I never considered a link in the other direction.

Kinda makes sense though, I've never been one for sugary drinks, but what I did drink was mostly made from grains.
                              good on you. keep going :]
                              ----------------------------------------
                              F, 48, 5'10"
                              Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                              Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Working...
                              X