Mods and Spam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods and Spam

I assume this is a thread that gets read once and a while, so I will post here.

I have no interest in moderating actual threads for content/politeness/whatever but I will gladly take a Deputy's badge to blast away at these goddam spammers. I have an odd schedule as it is and we have members from around the world so 24/7 coverage is more than feasible.

Clearly, the "worker bees" are not around to take care of this stuff on the weekends and this is when it runs wild.

As a starting suggestion, could not the top 100 active posters be given the authority to delete this crap? IT people that are around-anything better as a suggestion?
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

I think I lurve you.
    Durp.

Comment

As I'm looking right now, 14 of the 25 topics on the "Today's Posts" page are completely spam. I'm afraid to think what awaits inside the real threads
      Durp.

Comment

For all intents and purposes the forum is, at this moment, unusable.

Comment

I like this idea. Somebody's gotta be able to keep house on the weekends.

Comment

I would also be glad to volunteer in anti-spam patrol. I'm not a top-100 poster anymore, but in part that's because there's so much cruft to slog through.
            "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
            "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
            If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

15:10 EDT They've taken over again. No, I don't want to watch a live stream of anything. The offer stands.

Comment

Yup, it looks like today it's taken over during their lunch hour. I'm merely commenting to bump this message above the spam.
                SW: 243
                CW: 177
                Goal: Health

Comment

I volunteer to be a mod, but I've made that offer repeatedly. The amount of spam blowing up the forums is just ridiculous.
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

I have also offered a few times, in threads like these.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                      No, I don't want to watch a live stream of anything.
                      Just wait till the spammers start linking up... watersports...

Comment

FYI... it's hours later and Rocking522 spambot is still cranking stuff out... so I called the store # asking if they can alert some one on the web about it. I said I figured someone might be out sick.

Very nice sounding woman said she'd look into it and agreed someone is out sick.

I said I was sorry to bother her, thanked her & the office (& Mark) for their work, the forum and what they do on the site, and pointed out that some old-timers were offering to assist in spam-bot freezing if they were interested.

Just an FYI. That pesky Rocking522 really is getting on my nerves...
                        SW: 243
                        CW: 177
                        Goal: Health

Comment

Wow, couldn't agree more. I was wondering why I was seeing obvious spammers and how they were able to load that much crap on here.

Please get those annoying wankers off our site!

Comment

Working...
                          X