Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about Paleo/Primal for bodybuilding and physique athletes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the only challenge is not counting calories and macros. I'm trying to adapt my diet to a Paleo/Primal and I think it's very easy. But if you don't count calories and macros, then you have to make a very good plan and that's not too easy.

Comment

We have done some threads on it recently; Vince Gironda and the old-school guys (including Arnold) were paleo, although they didn't use that word, so it's not like it's a new thing. Steak, eggs, heavy cream, vegis, maybe some cottage cheese, water, done.

bodybuilding diet of the 70s.m4v - YouTube
      Last edited by KimchiNinja; 05-26-2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I competed in my first show (bikini) in April with paleo diet and placed first. I'm competing for my pro card in August and will be using paleo. I still eat 5-7 times a day because this is what works for me. It is still necessary for me to count calories so I do not have to do endless cardio at the end of prep for not losing enough weight through diet. I am currently 134 pounds and 5' 5" and will start at 1800 calories with 5x week weights and 3 days steady state cardio and 2 days HiiT cardio (30 minutes per session). If your diet is on point you should never need 2 hours cardio a day. I would love to hear more opinions on this topic as well!

Comment

Also, I used sweet potatoes as my starch carb source and squash on occasion. Preworkout: 4-6oz lean meat and 4-6 oz sweet potato ...Postworkout 4-5 egg whites + 1-2 eggs and 4-6 oz sweet potato OR only protein/ mrm powder with frozen fruit on a higher carb day (low carb day I did lean meat and asparagus or zucchini pre workout and a mrm protein shake or eggs Postworkout for insulin response without carbs)

Comment

As a bodybuilder for years now who also practices Primal Principles I will say contest prep is very individualized. Metabolism and how body responds to certain foods is highly individualized(when I did my final three weeks on the only carb source being potaoes and dropped rice and oats my body changed drastically, as well as the only veggie being broccilie) a lot of it is trial and error yes, some have to do massive cardio..others barely do any. What do YOU have to do to be ripped?
            With the training remember you are only doing THIS MUCH EXCESS FOR A SEASON...your not living like this..to do chronic cardio would be unhealthy all the time..BUT for a planned structure purpose it can help if you need it. Remember OVERTRAINING HELPS adapt to a greater level of fitness. But then you have to pull back to recover and reap the benefits from that overtraining.. Ths is how powerlifters get stronger. They plan to overtrain, then deload..
            To the non-competitor they will see a contest prep plan as not healthy.. but this is only for a contest.
            I think you can be a great bodybuilder doing primal.
            You may have to count macros unless you have great sensitivity and body awareness and know your body and how it responds and what it is needing.. this sensitivity takes years of practice.
            I only start counting macros the final 4 weeks at this point. I primal it all the way until the last month and make gradual reductions.
            (remove blueberries off oats on week 6, remove almond butter) etc. just gradually taper down.
            Cardio is a experiment. If you lose muscle easily..too much HITT will be a bad thing. Or for some people a few HITT sessions do better then 6 hours of long weekly cardio.

Comment

As a bodybuilder for years now who also practices Primal Principles I will say contest prep is very individualized.
              With HITT and the bodybuilder it' important to understand HITT stresses the CNS(central nervous system) when you are squatting and deadlifting and weight training a hour a day, extra CNS stress inhibits your progress. So you want HITT to be no more than twice a week(general) and use Steady state cardio a few times.
              Metabolism and how body responds to certain foods is highly individualized(when I did my final three weeks on the only carb source being potaoes and dropped rice and oats my body changed drastically, as well as the only veggie being broccilie) a lot of it is trial and error yes, some have to do massive cardio..others barely do any. What do YOU have to do to be ripped?
              With the training remember you are only doing THIS MUCH EXCESS FOR A SEASON...your not living like this..to do chronic cardio would be unhealthy all the time..BUT for a planned structure purpose it can help if you need it. Remember OVERTRAINING HELPS adapt to a greater level of fitness. But then you have to pull back to recover and reap the benefits from that overtraining.. Ths is how powerlifters get stronger. They plan to overtrain, then deload..
              To the non-competitor they will see a contest prep plan as not healthy.. but this is only for a contest.
              I think you can be a great bodybuilder doing primal.
              You may have to count macros unless you have great sensitivity and body awareness and know your body and how it responds and what it is needing.. this sensitivity takes years of practice.
              I only start counting macros the final 4 weeks at this point. I primal it all the way until the last month and make gradual reductions.
              (remove blueberries off oats on week 6, remove almond butter) etc. just gradually taper down.
              Cardio is a experiment. If you lose muscle easily..too much HITT will be a bad thing. Or for some people a few HITT sessions do better then 6 hours of long weekly cardio.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                We have done some threads on it recently; Vince Gironda and the old-school guys (including Arnold) were paleo, although they didn't use that word, so it's not like it's a new thing. Steak, eggs, heavy cream, vegis, maybe some cottage cheese, water, done.

bodybuilding diet of the 70s.m4v - YouTube
                +1 while many of the names mentioned were also on steroids in the 70s, they got this diet from the guys in previous decades who used it to good effect and were natural. Though they may not have been as cut and vascular add modern bbers.
                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

I also am following this thread. I hope a lot more gets said, as I have that usual last five pounds to blast. I mean, I look fine, but I've always wanted to look freaking awesome, even if just for awhile. I've been lazy, though, the last couple of months. The OT at work and baby at home were just too much being on night shift and still hitting the gym at lunch! I haven't sprinted in at least a month now. Gotta get back on it. And IF, I really did great once upon a time eating once a day. But then - food combining. Pure carnivory was so much easier than all these potatoes and bananas that I can't eat with my eggs and milk.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Reviving this

Originally posted by GrainFreeIronGoddess View Post
                    I really joined this forum because I'm looking for more information on applying the Paleo/Primal approach to bodybuilding, figure, fitness, and other physique sports. There is so much out there about the approach application for endurance athletes and then of course there are cross fitters, but I'm a figure athlete, and much of what is preached about flies in the face of the standard for how a figure/fitness/bodybuilder prepares for a contest and lives daily life.

Our needs as athletes are unique in that we need fuel to train of course, but we also need to be eating in such a way that fosters a lean bodyfat percentage for the competition stage. We need to sculpt our bodies in order to achieve a certain "look". Although I'm aware Robb Wolf has tackled this question a bit in an interview with Robert Kennedy, I have not found much else about the application of the approach or how macros could and would be manipulated to suit the needs of an athlete who's body dosn't need to FUNCTION for a competition, but needs to LOOK a certain way.

I have successfully adhere to a Paleo/primal approach for two contest preps now with shockingly amazing results. However there are some facets of the approach I'm struggling with and would love some feedback on.
                    1- Sugar on a contest prep, mainly fruit. In the past I've been taught that fruit is to be avoided at all costs on a contest prep. Staples include usually oats, quinoa, brown rice, ezekiel bread, yams or potatoes. I have had success PERSONALLY switching to Paleo/Primal by using yam and apple.... but I'd love more opinions

2- Bodybuilders and figure athletes eat multiple times throughout the day, typically 5-8 meals spaced about approximately 3 hours apart. This is something I've been struggling around- I personally eat 6x a day and althugh I'm WELL aware of the info out there on less frequent feedings, this is one habit I struggle to break or find a way to adapt. My meals are comprised of paleo/primal foods, but my feedings are still frequent

3- Typically getting ready for a show involves 2 cardio sessions a day plus weights which is a lot of overtraining- I've managed to downgrade and I do a lot of walking and then HIIT work (sprinting etc) which has helped me to eliminate some of the training volume, but many athletes out there still do copious amounts of cardio in prep for a show

4- Pre and post nutrition? Thoughts?

5- Intermittent fasting? How would that apply to physique athlete in a contest prep?

6- Calorie counting? This is a CORNERSTONE of a physique athlete, h0ow many calories per day and from what macronutrient source (carbs, protein,fats). What are recocmmended macros for a figure/fitness athlete?

Basically I'm still seeking some answers on adapting this approach to suit a bodybuilder/figure athlete's lifestyle. As a figure athlete myself and someone who runs a business in which I train this type of athlete, I feel very strongly that an effort has been made to reach out to endurance athletes, but what about aesthetic athletes as well? I'm a STAUNCH advocate of the lifestyle, I just feel I need to learn more about applying it to this group of individuals.
                    Ancient thread, I know...but I am trying to determine the right macro ratio. I do HIIT 6 days a week (30 min sessions), lift 5 days a week, and add a 30 min circuit training class 2 days a week. One complete off day a week. I am 5'2" and 138. I am building muscle, but my fat loss (not WEIGHT loss) has digressed. I am curious to know if anyone has any NUMERICAL macro ratios they can share? I eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. Shooting for around 1700 cal. a day, but the macro ratio is where I am struggling. And I am 90% paleo, probably deemed more primal.

I have a somewhat idea carbs 25% (106g/day), protein 40% (170g/day), and fat 35% (66g/day)

Can anyone help?? I am gearing toward fitness figure competitor physique, without competing- essentially lean and ripped. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X