Can we eat anything we want?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we eat anything we want?

I am new to PB and this site and my 15 year old daughter has been very interested as well. She asked me this morning "Dad, Does it matter what we eat as long as we do not go over the amount of calories, carbs ans sugars we should have for one day?"

I know the answer is yes but can someone help me with why? She shoots for 1800 calories/day, no more than 150 carbs and 40 to 50 sugars max. She is 15, 5' 4" and weighs 130lbs. She is very athletic, plays on a club and high school softball team but is a typical freshman in high school and how she looks and feels is becoming more important. I appreciate any help! THANK YOU!

Tell her that macronutrient ratios do not matter as long as she is eating whole, natural foods according to her appetite. So she can have several pieces of fruit if she wants, but things like Quaker chocolate granola bars, not so much.

edit: Probably the less said the better. Teenagers are terrible with this kind of thing as body image and social pressures collide and make things all confusing. Just look how mixed up our own 14 year old "Gadsie" is.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

It also the difference between long term health in all aspects and short term weight management which is all teens care about
      www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Nothing is more important the feeding her body all the nutrients it needs to be healthy. Calories matter a whole lot less when you are giving your body all the macro and micro nutrients required. Then her body will naturally tell her to stop eating.
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
          Tell her that macronutrient ratios do not matter as long as she is eating whole, natural foods according to her appetite. So she can have several pieces of fruit if she wants, but things like Quaker chocolate granola bars, not so much.

edit: Probably the less said the better. Teenagers are terrible with this kind of thing as body image and social pressures collide and make things all confusing. Just look how mixed up our own 14 year old "Gadsie" is.
          If I'm eating too little, then how in the world is 1800 calories enough for this active teenager?
          And I don't do all this because I want to look perfect or fit in. All my friends are chubby, I do it because I want to be healthy
          well then

Comment

Tell her she can eat whatever she wants as long as it's real food and not processed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
              If I'm eating too little, then how in the world is 1800 calories enough for this active teenager?
              And I don't do all this because I want to look perfect or fit in. All my friends are chubby, I do it because I want to be healthy
              Are you a boy? If so, you need more than a girl.
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

No, you should aim very carefully for complete nutrition! What kind of nut job thinks any less?!
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by azhntr View Post
                  I am new to PB and this site and my 15 year old daughter has been very interested as well. She asked me this morning "Dad, Does it matter what we eat as long as we do not go over the amount of calories, carbs ans sugars we should have for one day?"
                  Yes it matters WHAT you eat, if you want to eat for optimal health.

Worry less about quantity of calories and carbs and more about quality of food and quality of carbs.
                  Sandra
                  *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                    Are you a boy? If so, you need more than a girl.
                    Yeah I'm a boy, I'm also taller, but some people advice double the amount of calories, which I think is a little strange, either 1800 must br too little for her, or 3500-4000 is too much for me. But anyways, I don't count calories anymore
                    well then

Comment

Yes, it's a free world (or free-ish, depending on where you live) you can eat whatever you like. If you want to experience maximum health and vitality though... well that's a different question isn't it?
                      Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
                      Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
                      Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
                      Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

Gadsie, one thing to keep in mind as a young man at 14 you are still growing and probably haven't hit your final growth spurt. However, it is very possible the young lady the father has asked about has finished growing depending on a couple of personal things in her development. Therefore, 1800 calories may or may not be enough. Of course, as the others have mentioned she should eat her whole foods as needed/wanted and just stay away from the processed junk.

Just jumpin' in... I'm a 39 year old woman who didn't grow (except get fatter off junk food) after age 12.

Jennifer
                        Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
                        Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

1800 calories/day seems very little for a 15-year-old active girl? I remember when I was 15. I didn't play any sports, and remember being a bottomless pit-- ate everything I wanted, junk food at all. Never gained anything and always skinny and relatively healthy. I feel like teens should eat healthy food according to their appetite because they are still growing. I reached my full height at 13.

Comment

I will echo what others have said. Yes she can eat whatever she wants, but it's not recommended. If she is looking to follow a primal lifestyle, she should be choosing whole foods. Real fats, good protein and good carbs. She should also follow her hunger as a guide vs worrying about the macros and calories. She may need more calories than 1800/day with her activity level. Tell her to eat when she's hungry and to not/stop when she's satisfied and to choose whole foods.

Comment

Working...
                            X