Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refueling with protein after workout... Do you have to if not hungry ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refueling with protein after workout... Do you have to if not hungry ?

I have been Paleo nearly a year... Lost 55 lbs and Just found Mark's great Primal Blueprint program to take it up a notch to drop more weight. I Started the occasional fasting every few days from 6pm until noon or so the following day, which has removed all cravings (so I must be getting into fat burner mode!). I am keeping my carbs between 20-50 grams a day. My question is: since I usually work out in the morning, I was used to shaking up whey isolate protein powder with water to drink immediately after as I have always read that it is important to get some protein in immediately after a workout for muscles. I have noticed the past few days that I am neither 'woozy' or hungry after I exercise, so should I still have the protein at that time or just wait and save the calories for later ? Thoughts ? Thanks !

CiCi,

I'm essentially doing exactly the same but I am only just starting on the You are Your Own Gym program as a Primal Fitness extender. I don't have enough evidence yet to answer your question but I am certainly interested in answers from more experienced practitioners!
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Comment

no need to refuel with protein. it's certainly good for building muscle, but if that's not what you're after...don't worry too much about it. not eating after a workout can actually keep your body burning fat a little longer. as an added benefit, if you're anything like me, not eating after a workout can give you intense energy for the rest of the day.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Like Primalrob said, if you are concerned with adding (or even keeping to a certain extent) muscle, I am still a believer in having protein shake post work out ( and I mean ASAP). If you have no muslce building desires or concerns, then you could probably skip it, but since you are drinking them now, I would say keep them.

I still add 30grams of carb powder (a waxy maize blend) to my 75grams of whey pro in my shakes, but I am a big guy interested in keeping my bigness as I get to sub 10% bodyfat.

Comment

Working...
        X