• Show
Clear All

• Marijuana

Would marijuana be considered primal?

Only if you share.

Comment

Haha, nice response.

Comment

Well, it's not the *healthiest* thing considering you are burning plant material and inhaling it, but everyone knows that. Vaporizer maybe?

Technically, tribal man has been seeking altered states of consciousness for many thousands of years whether through drugs, drumming, chanting, or dance. Let me tell you, there definitely is a "Primal" feeling to getting super-stoned or taking a large quantity of mushrooms.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT party with drugs (except alcohol as that is socially accepted), and I do NOT use addictive substances. I DO on rare occasions take psychedelics either by myself or with one or two friends to dig inside myself and learn something new, or gain a fresh perspective on happenings in my life.

I no longer smoke marijuana, though, as I've found that it tends to derail my primal efforts when a serious case of the munchies hits me...haha.

Comment

Its totally primal. Can you think of a more natural medicine besides food itself? All the people who use it for actual medical uses can grow it themselves. I mean its right on par with a vegetable garden!

Comment

"Can you think of a more natural medicine besides food itself?"

Yeah: Opium, which was one of the very first domesticated plants. I wouldn't really recommend more than very occasional use of either if fitness is your goal, but YMMV.

Comment

I would say it's primal just like oregano is primal, but smoking it? I'm not sure if that should be worked into the Primal Blueprint.

I have nothing against it and it affects everybody differently, unfortunately it affected me by making me pack on the pounds. I gained over 20 lbs when I was getting stoned all the time. Even now that I try to eat more primal/paleo if I smoke I stop caring about my diet and reach for the nearest tub of ice cream and conquer it like I would a wildebeast in the wild.

I do NOT recommend it if losing body fat/weight is your goal, if you're trying to gain weight and you can manage to eat sensibly/responsibly when high I don't see too much harm. Just don't let it get to a point where you get excited if plans fall through because it means you get to spend some alone time with Mary Jane.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I'd say it's as Primal as tobacco...

Comment

It's great with strength training. Really reinforces the mind-muscle connection.

Comment

Sarcasm there Erik?

I think anything that can grow naturally is primal. I have and occasionally do use the stuff. If it wasn't for the smoking of it, I would feel a lot more relaxed about it (Recently quit tobacco, don't want to ever start again).

From a paleolithic view, is there any research into Marijuana in the past?

My friends and I were planning to make a 'weed tea'. Closest to primal I think were going to get!

Comment

It's Primal in that psychedelic plant use by people is really old; probably older than agriculture. It wasn't recreational, though, but ritual and so always used in a highly structured enviroment. Most psychedelics are considered by indegenous people to posesses powerful "spirits" as paraphrased by iniQuity above.

@ Kane - I believe historical use of marijuana is well documented, going pretty far into the past. Check out Michael Pollan's "Botany of Desire". It was one of the plants he profiled.

Comment

I don't think Erik was joking, I've known of many people that do weight train while high and they do supposedly feel more of a connection between their neural system and their muscles. Never done it myself, I feel I'd drop a weight on my head then laugh about it.

I've also read about BJJ practitioners in Brazil having days where they'll smoke then roll (spar) for a few hours. I think if you're the type of individual that can handle the hunger, or eat sensibly it's NOT the worst thing you can be doing. It's not for me because I don't have enough self control.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

two things.

1. If you dont have Ice cream in your house, and only have good healthy food, then what are you afraid of? When I used to smoke, and knew I was gonna probably be smoking in the evening, I would just fast for the day. That way if (when) you succomb to the munchies you can only eat good/healthy/primal food and you can eat a lot too.

2. This is at iniQuity. You're very right about Jiu Jitsu. That was one of my most favorite things to do high. I was so creative and would come up with this crazy stuff that actually worked. It was very awesome.

For all the runners people who enjoy working out, I loved doing that high too. Its amazing to start out on a run, jog a little bit, do some interval sprints, slow down a bit, jog to cool down, then walk back. As the endorphins kick in I would always just have these crazy deep thoughts and just really enjoy the atmosphere. Some of the coolest alone time I've ever had was on these run/walks.

Comment

Well, we all have specific receptors in our brains, liver, and kidneys that bind with THC and a few of the other cannabinoids found in cannabis. This would suggest an evolutionary adaptation to cannabis usage. THC is fat soluble, and when ingested in the presence of fat provides the same effects as smoking it. The seeds provide a very "paleolithic" mix of omega-3's and omega-6's as well as protein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor

Comment

No sarcasm at all. Try it!

As for weed tea, as long as you simmer the cannabis in some sort of fat - like heavy cream - to extract the cannabinoids, you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X