No announcement yet.

Marijuana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@vonter, I'm not sure if your first comment was directed at me but if it was then you definitely have a point, if there's only primal foods to be had then I shouldn't worry about the hunger but unfortunately I live at home with a non primal family. I have my own space to store my groceries but it's not like there's a lock on their side of the fridge/pantry so that's why my munchies can be very negative.

I've only ever done a bit of muay thai after smoking but it was about 2 hours after so I didn't feel many effects. I've never even though about doing any athletic stuff under the influence. If I do it it's mostly at night to relax and do typical stoner stuff such as watch tv, play video games, etc, sounds childish admittedly but there's something very calming about it too. I like to write and do some productive stuff too it's not all just fun and games but never exercise, maybe I'll try it sometime.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

The problem with using that as a pre-workout ritual is your pain perception. Whether you know or not the weed can cover up pains from the workout, and pain is a definitive signal to stop. Besides the obvious risks, that would be one reason to avoid it around a workout.

And is it really worth it? Wouldn't you say your more aware when your not high? I would never put myself under hundreds of pounds of weight under some drug like that.

On the other hand, its your choice so do what makes you happy.

sigpic
      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Pot is a negative in every way as far as health and fitness. Just because people might have been ingesting it for thousands of years doesn't mean squat. This site is about living a healthy life and pot doesn't fit into that. A little opium once in a while wouldn't really hurt either. I smoked pot in college in the 1970's, then I realized what a dead end waste it was and have never touched it again. Drugs of any sort aren't a part of a healthy lifestyle.

As far as it being your choice and doing whatever makes you happy..... complete BS. It's exactly the same as smoking tobacco, it's enjoyable when you do it but the long term health effects are all negatives. Pot also tends to make people lazy and complacent, and the idea that pot leads to some sort of deeper insight is laughable. Being clear headed leads to deeper insight. I hear meth is great fun too.

Another aspect to consider, do you really want to support drug cartels? They seem to me to be about as close to pure evil as exists in this world.

Sorry for the rant.

bruce b.

Comment

Hmm.

Being facetious for a moment - go for home grown, not "big agra" - ha! Bruce makes a point about the dealers.

Personally, I won't touch it - I have seen friends lost to it. Paranoia, addiction, schizophrenia, weight loss (forgetting to eat), weight gain (constant munchies), lifestyle "issues" from hanging around with the aforementioned dealers, having a stepping stone to harder drugs..........

But I don't want to preach.

Just be aware of the possible consequences.

And for god's sake don't drive stoned!!!

Comment

Whether it is or not, consider that the food in prison certainly is NOT Primal. Consult the laws of your jurisdiction before indulging.

Comment

@ Bruce & Northen Monkey

You both make really good points, and I never recommend to anyone else to start using it. I just have a nice social time with my friends with it, and I always wake up early and get down the gym.

It is however destructive to health, so I wont be using it in the long term.

Comment

Bruce,

I obtain my cannabis legally, through a certified dispensary. Everything's locally grown and organic - no cartel support here.

In fact, I got my license because cannabis was the only thing that enabled pain-free training (I had a nice chunk of cartilage go missing from my left knee). I've since recovered, thanks to intelligent rehab and a non-inflammatory Primal diet, and I can squat, run, and play without pain and without the weed.

The cannabis was, and is, merely a helpful tool in my recovery - as it is for millions of others. And that's a beautiful thing, regardless of what the DARE program says. It was anything but a net "negative" for my health and fitness. I'm living proof that it can indeed be a part of a healthy lifestyle.

It can be abused, of course, like anything. I'd suggest you direct your ire toward rancid polyunsaturated fats and sugar instead, for they're far bigger killers.

Comment

As far as the "support drug cartels" goes: while that is a 'good' point, realize that our prison INDUSTRY is the only reason that these cartels exist as they do.

People like to smoke pot, lots of people (more than most realize) (I am not one, as it makes me nauseous and I am a singer). You can incarcerate way more people for marijuana sale/possession than murder, and it just turns out for the people that run the prisons (and the local and national drug task forces) that filling prison with people that partake of a relatively harmless substance (far less detriment than alcohol) is extremely profitable.

Comment

[quote]

our prison INDUSTRY is the only reason that these cartels exist as they do.
                    </blockquote>

Ditto. Drug prohibition is the cartels&#39; best friend.

I don&#39;t see why pot shouldn&#39;t be considered as a sensible vice together with booze as long as it&#39;s consumed properly and wisely.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

SS - Chris Rock hit on that one here

Caution:

NOT SAFE FOR WORK

CONTAINS ADULT LANGUAGE

I agree that the United States&#39; drug laws should be changed rather dramatically, but until they are, keep your conduct legal or risk the consequences.

Comment

Most of the cannabis I&#39;ve seen floating around our little town is definitely home-grown. It&#39;s a farming community for goodness-sake.

I think it&#39;s silly of the government to &#39;ban&#39; a plant, but I also don&#39;t want to partake of anything that could give me a criminal record, especially since I have children.

Legality aside, smoking it can&#39;t be good for the lungs, so that&#39;s not a good thing.

Lack of motivation is a factor for some people, but not all. It does create the "what the heck" type of munchies, so it&#39;s definitely a possible &#39;stumbling block&#39; to any and all progress into full &#39;PB&#39;.

Comment

The original question I assumed was about smoking it for pleasure. It doesn&#39;t fit into the context of the discussion that this list is about, improving health. Smoking pot is not healthy, that&#39;s really the end of the story for me. Whether it has medicinal uses, and it obviously does, is a completely different issue.

All that other stuff people wrote about I mostly agree. I think it&#39;s beyond stupid to put people in prison for possession. I even think it should be legalized, like alcohol & tobacco.

As far as directing my ire towards rancid polyunsaturated fats, I *hate* em! Down with Rancid Polyunsaturated Fats! They should be illegal.

bruce b.

Comment

"Whether it has medicinal uses, and it obviously does, is a completely different issue."

Is it? Health is relative - if smoking marijuana can be considered medicinal, it is bringing you to a higher &#39;state&#39; of health. Thus making it healthy.

Supplementing is considered healthy, unless you over supplement... then it&#39;s poison.

Smoking marijuana may have detrimental effects on your respiratory system, but maybe it helps you suppress glaucoma? Or maybe it allows you to relax, or find some sort of &#39;calm within the storm&#39;. These momentary reprieves may, in the end, outweigh the deleterious effects of the smoke.

Also: primal-pot brownies. &#39;Nuff said.

Comment

>>>>"Whether it has medicinal uses, and it obviously does, is a completely different issue."<<<<

>>Is it? << Yes

Radioactive materials are used to treat cancer. I wouldn&#39;t want to consume them recreationally.

bruce b.

Comment

Bruce, I think we see eye to eye in the big scheme of things, but c&#39;mon - that&#39;s a terrible analogy.

Can you point to irrefutable evidence that recreational - not chronic - use of cannabis is as harmful as radioactive material consumption?

Comment

Working...
                                X