No announcement yet.

PB for disabled persons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If in a wheel chair, would it be beneficial to travel with a heavy something or other in your lap or attached to the chair?
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

HELLO!

Tell your friend to get his butt over here to MDA!
      We've got people on wheels here and at least one person with severe scoliosis who is exercising.

A couple of things that come to mind, from my wheelchair days:

- Water exercise. My community gym has a great pool with a lift to get the wheelchair folks in and out of the water. It is awesome. Alternately, there is also a very long ramp (no stairs) with rails on both sides for those who are somewhat mobile. I used to roll my walker up and park it right at the top of the ramp. To find a setup such as this, stay away from GloboGym and look for a park and recs- or a YMCA-type community gym. Did you know it's possible to do crunches whilst floating in the water without drowning yourself? Look for a class called "Gentle Moves" or something to that effect; there's also aqua yoga. Not all water exercise classes are about bouncing around to annoying techno music.

- Exercise bands. I still use these for upper body work. I've got the yellow one slung over my shower rod as I type this. See YouTube for a plethora of strengthening ideas.

ETA: It's even more critical for us that we keep our bodies as free from inflammation as possible. Makes a significant, significant difference.
      Last edited by TigerLily; 07-16-2011, 08:01 AM.
      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
      X