Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just don't read the forum. I don't.

. . .shit.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
      No, it's not. It's as supportive as it's ever been. Yes, I agree there are a lot of differing opinions and that can cause confusion. But we are always telling people to READ THE BOOK FIRST. If they don't, then it's their fault if they get bamboozled by all the different personal takes and tweaks or outright ignorance about the PB. Do you think it's a good idea for these boards to be moderated to the degree that, say, 30bananas is, where any dissent is met with outright bannings?
      I agree.
      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
        I'd much rather have lots of arguing and flame wars, with the corresponding different points of view, than a groupthink. It's one of the things I love about this community. Otherwise, we're just those who shall not be named with (much) better science.
        I agree.
        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
          I totally agree with tfarny here.

I am getting so sick of all the VLC, no fruit, hardly any vegetables, eat meat only, watching all the noobs crash and burn on IFing when they are not supposed to even be doing it in the first place, bragging about losing X amount of weight and never bothering to exercise .... all of it. That is NOT The Primal Blueprint!! I don't think I would have stuck it out if things were like this when I first started coming here. This board has taken a hard, weird turn. I find I'm spending more and more time just shooting the breeze with good folk in the journals room.
          yeah I went away for a few months and came back to something pretty different. I suppose part of that just has to do with the increasing popularity of the PB... as more people 'preach' and 'convert' others, people get on board because they want weight loss, and they want it fast. There is nothing wrong with that, I feel like that too sometimes, but it can be frustrating to read/see that people are focusing on fast weight loss rather than health. It existed before too, for sure, it just didn't seem to take up as much of the board.

That said, I appreciate reading/learning new things on the board. But I take everything with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
            all this peripheral freak-show stuff is what the forum has become about.
            I don't mind the differing ways of doing paleo/primal (all 100+ of them) but I can't stand the rest of the peipheral freak-show. The pseudoscience and lack of critical thinking skills that now reign make it unbearable.

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
            When I joined, many moons ago (!), there was a lot of geeking out over specific studies, really in depth discussions, very nerdy/intellectual. I kinda miss that.
            +1
            Last edited by cillakat; 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I think some of us are talking about two different things here.

I am talking about how this board has become a terrible place to learn about The Primal Blueprint.

I feel like I want to change my signature line to "Newbies: turn back now! Just read the book!"

Honestly, I've been torn about this for a while now. Lately I've just been hanging out in the journals room with my buddies and yukking it up, thereby dodging all the cringe-worthy advice by people who have racked up more than 400 posts in the short month they have been here.

I don't recall newbies, when I was one, having anywhere near the sorts of difficulties I see all the time now. I now see people here completely altering course practically every month, grasping at straws.

If the OP was talking about something else entirely at the start of the thread, then I misunderstood. I, too, am appalled by that personal attack re: weight in the before/after pictures thread and I am hoping that that WILL be stripped out by a moderator. As for the three/four bad seeds here who are starting so much trouble, there is the ignore button.
              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                Just don't read the forum. I don't.

. . .shit.
                Tee hee hee
                "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                Currant: 136 lbs
                Goal: 125 lbs
                11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                  I don't recall newbies, when I was one, having anywhere near the sorts of difficulties I see all the time now. I now see people here completely altering course practically every month, grasping at straws.
                  They seem to be self-induced difficulties and many of the strange/conflicting advice posts are due to this grasping at straws. In the few short months I have been here I have seen an increase lately in posts like -

OMG I gained a pound wtf should I do?!

I am not losing 5/8/42 pounds a week and can't believe this isn't working should I cut dairy/veggies/my own throat?

So I have cooked and eaten every Primal treat there is. I am not losing weight, could the cream in my coffee be causing me to stall?

I am on day 3 of primal and have hit a plateau. How do I break the cycle of failure?

It gets ridiculous. When people put up posts like that there are going to be 100 different views, and honestly I think the posters are trying to help. This is a friendly community, and "Read the goddamn book you fucking moron" just doesn't quite fit into the warm fuzziness that envelopes these hallowed pages. A newbie should not be told they need to read the book. That is just common sense. It seems many now just hear the name Primal, come here and try some hearsay frankenwoe to get good health. That doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                    They seem to be self-induced difficulties and many of the strange/conflicting advice posts are due to this grasping at straws. In the few short months I have been here I have seen an increase lately in posts like -

I am not losing 5/8/42 pounds a week and can't believe this isn't working should I cut dairy/veggies/my own throat?

So I have cooked and eaten every Primal treat there is. I am not losing weight, could the cream in my coffee be causing me to stall?

I am on day 3 of primal and have hit a plateau. How do I break the cycle of failure?

It gets ridiculous. When people put up posts like that there are going to be 100 different views, and honestly I think the posters are trying to help. This is a friendly community, and "Read the goddamn book you fucking moron" just doesn't quite fit into the warm fuzziness that envelopes these hallowed pages. A newbie should not be told they need to read the book. That is just common sense. It seems many now just hear the name Primal, come here and try some hearsay frankenwoe to get good health. That doesn't work.
                    So I should probably read the book then? ;-)
                    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                    Currant: 136 lbs
                    Goal: 125 lbs
                    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Modern Cave Women View Post
                      Read the book!
                      Last edited by Adrianag; 04-26-2011, 04:06 AM.

Comment

*goes to find my pointy stick and running shoes*

Comment

Loaned the book to a coworker who is suffering horribly from what would appear to be an advancing gluten intolerance (and whose condition is absolutely deteriorating from Dr's advice) and while intrigued she has come up w/ 50 different tweaks before even giving PB a try.

It made me think, you're ready for it or you're not.

As far as this forum, I can guess w/ 90% certainty where a thread is going to go and whether it's worth (to me anyway) clicking on. I credit my success to what I've read here (and I read the book first) because the counter intuitive advice was reinforced when it needed to be.

I say thanks, don't change a thing.
                          Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Ugh, the trend I'm enjoying the least is the constant berating of the way the board is now, how good it used to be. It makes me wonder if the board fell to pieces right when I joined? MAYBE I BROKE IT?!!!

I mean, come on, our good friend and daily dose of entertainment Shrinking Violet joined about the same time as me in Aug 2010. She epitomized the obsessiveness that you're outlining here. No-one has come close to matching that since.
                            Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                            Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
                              Ugh, the trend I'm enjoying the least is the constant berating of the way the board is now, how good it used to be. It makes me wonder if the board fell to pieces right when I joined? MAYBE I BROKE IT?!!!

See, here's the thing- Every internet board and forum I've ever seen goes through periodic cycles of "oh woe, this board sux now with all the new people, why can't it be the way it was when I was the new people..."

Every. Damn. Last. One. Of. Them.

SSDF
                              Last edited by DarthFriendly; 04-26-2011, 07:14 AM. Reason: same shit different forum

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post

Wait.... there's a book?!?!? ; ) JK.

Comment

Working...
                                X