A message to Mark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. This is all fascinating to me.

One of my mantras is that we can control ourselves but we can't control others, only our reaction to them. So I guess I'm curious what harm is actually taking place in reading others' ignorant, unsupportive, wack-job comments? I've only had one uncomfortable interaction on here, everything else has been fodder for a good laugh or food for thought. While I come here for like-mindedness, sure, can't we celebrate the differences? Even the wacko stuff?

It's stuff like this that gives me pause about trying to form a Primal/Paleo group locally or attending PrimalCon. People are great in the abstract, but in the specific...man, sometimes...

And poor Mark. What's he gonna do about this? He created a great online community, but I doubt he wants to be bothered to babysit it.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

I'd much rather have lots of arguing and flame wars, with the corresponding different points of view, than a groupthink. It's one of the things I love about this community. Otherwise, we're just those who shall not be named with (much) better science.
      Lifting Journal

Comment

Wow, just yesterday or the day before, I wrote my impression of this place here:
        One thing I've noticed about this forum is that there are a lot of people who are just religious about adhering to the PB 100%. And at the same time there are people who color way outside the lines of the Blueprint to make it work for them. And even with the extremes it seems like everyone is very tolerant of one another's choices.
        I stand by that. I think this place is great. No adjustments needed.

My latest 30 day PB assessment

Comment

I agree that the forums are filled with piles of conflicting information. However, that is because people are sharing their own experiences. The forum is a place to express how you have made PB work for you.

It makes me sad though when I see new people trying all sorts of tweaks and extra rules before checking if the basic version of PB works for them. I think everyone should start with PB101 or the book and then trouble shoot with the forum.

I will say, standard PB is amazing, but it is with advice from people on this forum as an adjunct that I was really able really make some life changing health changes.
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I totally agree with tfarny here.

I am getting so sick of all the VLC, no fruit, hardly any vegetables, eat meat only, watching all the noobs crash and burn on IFing when they are not supposed to even be doing it in the first place, bragging about losing X amount of weight and never bothering to exercise .... all of it. That is NOT The Primal Blueprint!! I don't think I would have stuck it out if things were like this when I first started coming here. This board has taken a hard, weird turn. I find I'm spending more and more time just shooting the breeze with good folk in the journals room.
            Last edited by TigerLily; 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM.
            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Wow...really?! Exactly what I'm talking about. I have my opinion, you have yours. Fine. But the badmouthing, is it really necessary? We all come here to learn, and share, not be degraded for having an opinion or asking a question.
              No I don't need to be spoonfed information, nor do I need a babysitter, and I most certainly don't need all this useless bickering that goes on here.

Comment

If you don't need a babysitter, why are you asking Mark to do the job? There is a lot of conflicting information here, because everyone's figuring out what works for them. It's all good.

Comment

I don't mind the conflicting info if only people can do it intelligently instead of of being so assertive that their position is the right one and the only one. Back in the day, a community went to their elders( the wisest people) to ask for advice. I don't think that is asking to be babysat. If people can't treat each other with respect and dignitity then I am truely scared at what this world is becoming.

Comment

Originally posted by denbro01 View Post
                    I don't mind the conflicting info if only people can do it intelligently instead of of being so assertive that their position is the right one and the only one. Back in the day, a community went to their elders( the wisest people) to ask for advice. I don't think that is asking to be babysat. If people can't treat each other with respect and dignitity then I am truely scared at what this world is becoming.
                    I agree with the respect and dignity thing, to a degree. But I think it's worthwhile to maintain a sense of humor about yourself, so you aren't brittle when faced with the kind of "rudeness" you face here. I rather like the "tell it like it is" flavor of this board, and I'd hate for you--a relative newcomer--to extinguish that. So I'd prefer you change YOU rather than change the board.

But the "turning to our elders" point? Absolutely not! Primal is rooted in not turning to the supposed experts for everything. If we were to do that, we'd all be eating rice cakes with fat free cheese between cardio sessions.
                    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

What Liz said.

If the board isn't working for you, find another one.

Comment

This is an internet forum. By definition, people are more blunt, harsher, and critical here. It's no different than any other forum except that we don't have heavy-handed moderators lowering the banhammers for differences of opinion. It's a given on any unmoderated forum, and I prefer that to moderated groupthink, even when people diss me or disagree with me. I think of it as exercise for my mind; learning how to dissect other people's positions so I can either argue with them or understand them, or both.
                        Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by aktres View Post

If the board isn't working for you, find another one.
                          Thanks for the advice and support!

Comment

and just to be all completely nitpicky and shit, this forum ISN'T unmoderated. It's just lightly moderated.

Comment

Originally posted by denbro01 View Post
                              Thanks for the advice and support!
                              So why did you ignore my reasonably-worded, non-insulting reply, and zero in on the one that upsets you? It just makes no sense--nurture the responses you like, ignore the ones you don't. Otherwise, it sounds like you're actually enjoying the drama.
                              Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                              Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                                I will say, standard PB is amazing, but it is with advice from people on this forum as an adjunct that I was really able really make some life changing health changes.
                                +1
                                Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Working...
                                X